SRT8CUDA Build

-
Perfect timing with getting those 2 issues solved.
Beautiful documentation!
What did you do with the fender hemi callout?
Would look sharp in silver or in a kind of "ghost" decal IMO.

Perfect timing with getting those 2 issues solved.
Beautiful documentation!
What did you do with the fender hemi callout?
Would look sharp in silver or in a kind of "ghost" decal IMO.
Hopefully I will get the hemi callout stripe installed before Carlisle. The ghost decal might have been a better option.
Jim

Looks great Jim. Wish I were going to Carlisle so I could see it in person.

Spare Tire
I had been looking for an emergency spare tire and finally found one that would fit over the calipers on the 12.19" disks and also small enough diameter to fit into the spare tire wheel well in the Cuda trunk.
It is from a '03 Cadillac CTS!!! Rim Part number is 9594138 and tire is a Goodyear T125/70-R16

IMG_4640_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4644_1280x719.JPG

All-Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle PA.
I drove the Cuda there and back last week for the show including through heavy rain - about 11.5 hrs each way. When starting out in Ontario on Thursday, on the Queen Elizabeth Way near Hamilton - the wipers suddenly stopped!!! Yikes - pretty hard to see but the water does stream off the window somewhat. After about 20 seconds they restarted, then stopped and restarted over and over. Then hit very heavy rain north of Harrisburg and I had to stop.
After doing some research, it appears there is a circuit breaker inside the WW switch that must have been tripping. I haven't done any troubleshooting yet to see why it would be tripping. Must be something binding (unlikely because everything is newly refurbished) or the switch is bad.

On Saturday, the Senior Editor of Hemmings Motor News stopped by the car and asked about doing a photo shoot of the car to put in Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine. He picked my car and one other for the shoot.
Did the shoot Saturday evening and it took 2 hours total!! He was very particular about the appearance of the car - even wanting me to adjust the bolts on the license plate so the slot was vertical on both bolts!!!!!!

Then on Sunday, I found out that my car got a first place award in my class of 1960-1969 A Body Modified cars!!

All in all - a good weekend!!
Jim

IMG_2516_1067x800.JPG

IMG_2569_1067x800.JPG

IMG_2574_1067x800.JPG

View attachment 1715070501

Last edited:
Congrats Jim, sorry I couldn't make it to Carlisle this year. I'll have to check out the car at Moparfest.

I always wondered if a PCV "catch can" actually trapped any oil from entering the intake manifold on these Hemi's - and now I know.

After driving about 1100 miles round trip to Carlisle, I pulled the catch can and found about 28 ml of oil in the can!!! So - they actually do work and are worthwhile on these engines.
Jim

IMG_3498_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4655_1280x719.JPG

Congrats. It deserves the attention. You did a great job on it

Thanks guys. Got a good news e-mail last night from Hemmings. They are going to feature the car in the next edition of Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine https://www.hemmings.com/subscribe/current-issue.html?publication=MUS . The bad news is they want me to fill out a 9 page list of all the specifications on the car- by tonight!!!! Things like: what grade of sandpaper was used after the primer was applied, what is the turning circle radius of the car, what is the lobe separation angle on the camshaft - and on and on and on!!! Unbelievable amount of info.
Jim

Great seeing your car there I was happy to see you make it. Those pictures don't do it justice for those who haven't seen it up close. It is magnificent well deserved 1st place at Carlisle. Glad you made it back. We finally got back Tuesday. After 3300 miles the only problem I had was lost a headlight bulb. Picked one up at Walmart 2 am somewhere in North Carolina. Nice meeting and your family great mopar people.

Great seeing your car there I was happy to see you make it. Those pictures don't do it justice for those who haven't seen it up close. It is magnificent well deserved 1st place at Carlisle. Glad you made it back. We finally got back Tuesday. After 3300 miles the only problem I had was lost a headlight bulb. Picked one up at Walmart 2 am somewhere in North Carolina. Nice meeting and your family great mopar people.

Hi Logan
Thx for the compliments. Good to hear you made it home safely.
Jim

Traced the problem with my wipers to the wiper motor. Seems to be a fault inside the motor. It is on its way back to Passion4Mopars in Florida for repairs. Kim was very helpful in helping me troubleshoot the problem. I could not remove the wiper motor because it hit the intake manifold!!! Had to cut off one of the mounting studs to get it out.

IMG_4654_1280x719.JPG

Had a couple of electrical gremlins on the way to Carlisle.
1. The first was an intermittent right rear park light. Traced the problem to the socket on the new M&H wiring harness. The internals of the socket were poor quality from my perspective and resulted in intermittent contact with the bulb. I cut the originals off my old harness, installed new wires and spliced into the new harness. Problem fixed!!

2. Also had an intermittent left rear stop/turn signal light. Traced that to the turn signal switch. I had installed a new reproduction switch from Vans Auto. I thought a new switch would be better than a 45 year old one - WRONG. The repro switch was very flimsy and the cam did not always make contact with the terminal to the LR light. I pulled it out, cleaned up the old original one and installed it. Problem fixed!!

The morale of the story is: many times the original parts are far better quality than new repro parts!!!

IMG_4666_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4673_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4678_1280x719.JPG

Last edited:
Wiper motor repair
Got a message from Kim at Passion4mopars that she put my motor on the bench and it worked fine!!!
I called her and explained it would run fine for a while then slow down and trip. She put it back on the bench and let it run and it finally stalled. She took it apart and found the bushing in the end cap dry and overheated brushes and brush springs.
She explained that about a year ago she switched to a better quality synthetic grease because she saw some problems with the previous grease separating over time. She had restored my motor in 2011, it then sat until 2016 when I finished the car. Hopefully that fixes it.

Last edited:
Wilwood master cylinder recall
Just found out that the mc on my car is being recalled. You are supposed to stop driving the car, remove it, contact Wilwood to arrange for it to be shipped to them for repair, ship back, reinstall and bleed the brake system. I can see that taking many weeks since they probably have sold many hundreds of these 7/8" mc's. not impressed
http://www.wilwood.com/Pdf/Recalls/RDCONL-17E030-0986.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17E030-2747.PDF

Thanks for the heads up. Just having the shop check mine out, but I'm sure it's affect as well.

Riddler

PCV Catch can
I wasn't totally happy with the design of the BT catch can because there was no baffle between the inlet and outlet air flow in the can itself. ie nothing to force the airflow downwards as it enters the can. I was going to modify it to add a central baffle, but then found this baffle made by UPR Products for the BT catch can. It is a cnc piece of Al with an extension that acts like the baffle I was thinking of. Some people say on the Hemi forums that it is more efficient, but I'll know for sure after I put more miles on the motor.
The tiny screws were very hard to remove because they were loctited. Had to heat up to remove them and one stripped the hex.

BT Catch Can cross section_757x800.jpg

BT Catch Can cross section mod_721x800.jpg

IMG_4689_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4690_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4691_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4695_1280x719.JPG

Master Cylinder recall
I just checked the date code on my MC and it is "YD" – and is NOT on the recall list!!! Great news.

-
Back