SRT8CUDA Build

-
Lucky you caught it right away!
BTW the car looks fantastic. Very nice work. :thumbsup:
Thanks.
Fortunately I was watching the digital oil pressure display on the FAST display unit and saw 0.0 psi oil pressure and it was not increasing at all, so I killed it after running for a few seconds. I don't think I hurt the engine.

Thanks.
Fortunately I was watching the digital oil pressure display on the FAST display unit and saw 0.0 psi oil pressure and it was not increasing at all, so I killed it after running for a few seconds. I don't think I hurt the engine.
Again, what a classy job you have done. Thanks so much for sticking with this post and taking all the time to make it and post the pictures so the rest of us could learn from what parts worked together and not what to do. Enjoy that ride, bro. You have earned it, and do us Mopar Men proud.
Don't forget photos of the white striped car once you are completely done.
And thanks to some of you who posted comments along the way that also provided us little tidbits of info we can use in building our vehicles correctly, and a little easier. I am glad to have read this posting.

Again, what a classy job you have done. Thanks so much for sticking with this post and taking all the time to make it and post the pictures so the rest of us could learn from what parts worked together and not what to do. Enjoy that ride, bro. You have earned it, and do us Mopar Men proud.
Don't forget photos of the white striped car once you are completely done.
And thanks to some of you who posted comments along the way that also provided us little tidbits of info we can use in building our vehicles correctly, and a little easier. I am glad to have read this posting.
Thanks Penfighter
That makes my day
Having a big debate about whether to add the wide white stripe ( with the 6.1 HEMI callout) or not. Everyone who has seen the car says to leave it like it is!! I'm still undecided but will leave it as-is for now.
When I had the car at Moparfest in Aug, I was asked by the organizers to put it on display in the building next year.
Jim

Thanks Penfighter
That makes my day
Having a big debate about whether to add the wide white stripe ( with the 6.1 HEMI callout) or not. Everyone who has seen the car says to leave it like it is!! I'm still undecided but will leave it as-is for now.
When I had the car at Moparfest in Aug, I was asked by the organizers to put it on display in the building next year.
Jim

When you a class act job, did you really think you wouldn't be asked to display this ride?
As for the stripe, have you looked at the smaller white stripes that originally came on the late 60's Barracudas to break up all that blue? Either way, the car is suppose to have your personality, right?

Hey this is something that I have run into with some of our cars is if you have noisy steering pump try and change the fluid I am not sure type of fluid but dexron 3 the red stuff can be noisy so I have changed to yellow fluid and the noise went away sorry I could not help with brand.

I'm using Amsoil synthetic PS fluid. It will be a bit of a pain to flush all the fluid out and use a different one, but will be worth a try.

I had new AC hoses made this week, so now I can get the AC system charged up. They were able to adapt to the original suction line coming from the evaporator- which was good because I can use the stock style expansion valve. The shop used "E-Z Clip" style hoses. They are very easy to assemble and don't require any expensive crimping tools like the old style hoses. Very slick. If you are going to do any AC work - this is the system to use:)

IMG_4285_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4287_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4286_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4289_1280x719.JPG

Awesome job on the car. Couple questions about your Grills.
Did you have the outer Chrome Trims Re-Chromed? Who did them and did it cost an arm and a leg?
Mine are driver quality but I want them to be show quality...
I was looking at PG RePops but looks like after reading your thread they are out. Going to try to follow your lead.
What about making the sheet metal fit the new grills? Crazy? Way more work for something that won't look right when done?
I have yet to see any in person...
R0LRdVWHYI1tqYvbY5Yv1Xy41QVwUyBuIByLBdw7FWgnxQeGKRdywPu9YnKuF5FFFgRbhFeh-8mVwAzlA2=w1369-h770-no.jpg

K-z9zvxVfxkR46z_2aoL3_neDNh_k-k2IGOP6KuHNHt7J_8F6vunMnVedGJBLEI_wG5Tdl4G5SM92hT_6D=w1369-h770-no.jpg

Thanks -
Randy

Hi Randy
Yes I sent the outer trim to a chrome shop near where I live in Ontario (Cambridge Custom Chrome) . They specialize in chroming pot metal as well as show quality chrome. If the frames have any corrosion or pits (which mine did) , they have to be individually filled before chroming - which is VERY costly. It cost me $700 CDN to do both of them!!! My sheet metal fit the grilles pretty good so didn't need much rework.
Jim

Thanks Jim, How much work do you think it would have been to make your sheet metal fir the PG Classics Grills?
Would they be hideous?
I may opt to have mine restored by Totally Auto in PA. I have to travel to PA in December anyway so I might just bring my grills and leave them... At least get a quote before trying to restore them myself. Have to get the Chrome done at least.

Thanks Jim, How much work do you think it would have been to make your sheet metal fir the PG Classics Grills?
Would they be hideous?
I may opt to have mine restored by Totally Auto in PA. I have to travel to PA in December anyway so I might just bring my grills and leave them... At least get a quote before trying to restore them myself. Have to get the Chrome done at least.
I used my original outer chrome trim pieces. I only purchased the inner anodized aluminum trim pieces - and no way would they fit - so that was it for repops from PGC!!

IMG_3870_1280x719.JPG

Jim,
Car looks awesome. I hope to get back on mine soon.
Thanks
Do you have an expected completion date? or were you like me and it will be done when it is done!!! Except it is never really "done". I've got to find out why my power steering is whining and the power steering response is jumpy. I've got to find some fittings to put a pressure gauge on the outlet of the pump to see if the pump is the problem or the rack - or both.

Well I plan on having it make noise this coming year. I have everything but Headers, and a drive shaft. Just have to finish getting the Corvette out of the garage. My Father died in 2013 and I have his 70 LS5 convertible Corvette. It was in need of some work to get it back running good. I am finishing up the Fitech Fuel Injection system now.

The lower rocker panel wide sill moldings (Option code M25) are no longer available and neither are the plastic retainer clips (p/n 6002437).
However the wide sill moldings for a '71-'74 Dart/Duster are being reproduced, however they are about 1" too long, so they have to be shortened to fit - which is no problem.
I found some retainer clips p/n 6003775 that looked like they would work, but they are too wide.
In the end I decided to simply glue them in place using polyurethane adhesive. I first installed blind well nuts and crimped them in place, then screwed on small pieces of aluminum, followed by a dob of adhesive on each one. Looks like it should work OK.

View attachment 1714936485

View attachment 1714936486

View attachment 1714936487

View attachment 1714936488
Hello,

I have a 1969 Barracuda Fastback Formula S with the Rocker Moldings missing. I was pointed your way to understand if your method would work for me! Are the Duster retainer clips now available? It would seem if the moldings wer reproduced, they would also do the retainers, but perhaps they don't fit the holes of the Barracuda. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bill

Hello,

I have a 1969 Barracuda Fastback Formula S with the Rocker Moldings missing. I was pointed your way to understand if your method would work for me! Are the Duster retainer clips now available? It would seem if the moldings wer reproduced, they would also do the retainers, but perhaps they don't fit the holes of the Barracuda. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bill
HI Bill

I haven't looked recently but I doubt the clips are being reproduced.
Jim

I ripped out the power steering system to see if I can fix the whine and jerkiness in the steering response. Whine is usually caused by a bad pump or entrained air bubbles. I knew there were lots of air bubbles going through the system because when the fluid returned to the reservoir, it would whip up the oil and then it got immediately sucked back into the pump. So I bought a reservoir from Billet Specialties (p/n 77910) that was significantly bigger than the original one from March Performance. Plus the new one had a far superior configuration for the fluid return from the rack. It had a long tube inside the reservoir to better distribute the returning fluid.
The new reservoir is vented but the original one was totally sealed. This meant that pressure built up in the system as it heated up - which I didn't like.
I also pulled the pump apart and could see no problems inside. (The pump was part of the March Performance front drive accessory kit, but the pump is actually made by Tuff Stuff.)

IMG_4482_1600x898.JPG

IMG_4476_1600x898.JPG

IMG_4477_1600x898.JPG

IMG_4470_800x449.JPG

Last edited:
I had e-mailed Tuff Stuff to ask them for some advice on the problems with my pump and sent them some photos so they could identify the model number of the pump. They got back to me right away, identified the model and suggested installing a different relief valve (p/n 5552). I ordered a valve at Summit Racing , had it shipped across the border, then find it will not fit in the pump!!!!
So I e-mailed back and they said - so sorry- your pump is obsolete and that valve will not fit in that pump!!!!!
Give me a break!!
Back on the keyboard to tell them they had a very disappointed customer.
This morning, I got a reply - they are "going to make it right" and are shipping me a brand new replacement pump.:)
Now a happy customer:thumbsup:

IMG_4495_1600x898.JPG

replacement pump.jpg

Hey Jim, can you show some more pictures of your power steering set up. I tried to go back through the tread but since they updated the site the older pictures do not show up on my computer. Is the pump you are using a chev pump? I still have not found a suitable way to reduce the pressure in the stock truck 3rd Gen Hemi pump for the mustang 2 rack. Thanks in advance for any assistance

Hey Jim, can you show some more pictures of your power steering set up. I tried to go back through the tread but since they updated the site the older pictures do not show up on my computer. Is the pump you are using a chev pump? I still have not found a suitable way to reduce the pressure in the stock truck 3rd Gen Hemi pump for the mustang 2 rack. Thanks in advance for any assistance

The photos in the thread are still there, but after the last site "upgrade", the thumbnail views no longer appear:realcrazy:. If you click on the down arrow on the symbol, the photo will appear - but that is a real pain in my opinion.
Anyway, I'm using a GM Type II pump from Tuff Stuff http://www.tuffstuffperformance.com...si-chrome-6175ald-4.html?ref=category:1267418. They have a large selection of pumps on their web site. It has an internal relief valve that can be shimmed to bring the pressure down to about 850 psi with a Borgeson kit for the Mustang II rack.
If you want to keep the stock Hemi pump, I think you will have to install an external pressure regulator like this one: Heidts PS-101 Adjustable Power Steering Valve

Jim

IMG_4504_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4466_800x449.JPG

IMG_4472_800x449.JPG

IMG_4473_800x449.JPG

Got the power steering cooler installed. It is a Perma Cool p/n 997. Used some -6 AN hose fittings for the connections.

IMG_4505_1280x719.JPG

-
Back