SS/B Barracuda project

-
Awesome, from what year is the pic...
And I specially fancy those like stars... gonna have a few of them.
Thanks

Its Toms original paint in 68. He changed colors in 69.
The picture came from Tom himself.

This car is documented from day one till now. One of very few known with the full history of the car,
Most of them disappear for a while and reappearing missing fender tags, rebodied and so.

Pete's is the dealership that sponged the car. I think it was his dad or brother

There are not to many pre-´70 photos to be found, but I have a god picture of what to aim fore.
So..."Plymouth" on the rear quarter, and a name on the door, maybe on a patch is a must... and not to many decals in this early years. Also them white stars looking details, if not to many, add that extra personality.

I have seen bumper guards on the West Virginia Hemi Barracuda of Eddie Smith. Now that car was a former SoxMartin car. May it be this car was one of the none BO29 Barracudas the Burlington Team build and sold as part of their business?? Or was the West Virginia Hemi a BO29??
Main question tho, did some or any of the ´68-69 campaigning SS/B cars had the bumper guards. I assume they were meant to ad some weight on the best possible spot of the car.
It would be a cool feature and one of the in deep know hows, I am looking for.

Now please fill me in on any detail regarding the paint schema...
Thank You So Far.

Its Toms original paint in 68. He changed colors in 69.
The picture came from Tom himself.

This car is documented from day one till now. One of very few known with the full history of the car,
Most of them disappear for a while and reappearing missing fender tags, rebodied and so.

Pete's is the dealership that sponged the car. I think it was his dad or brother

Interesting... and be sure to keep an eye on my project, will you ;)

Stefan I am not sure how many pictures you have of the cars so I will put some of the ones
I know of up for you.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 501
My old tractor garage is real tight to say the least... This rotisseries will be relay convenient. The brackets I need to bolt the body to the rotisseries will be ready this coming week...

Attachments

• rotesseriesrear.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 469
just a couple of minutes from were I live, a farmer who quit dairy farming swapped the cows for all kinds of machinery and equipment. His barn is impressive and a lot more quiet to work in he says :) He can fabricate most anything. My simple drawing of the master cylinder offset block will be no problem for him to fix. But will it look correct??... Well with my sense for details I hope, or I have him to do another one...

Attachments

• offsetblockdrawing.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 478
This is going to bee a real challenge. A neighbour of mine is working with upholstery and with her help, and the seat covers from Kramer AS and some help from you with measurements, I know it can be done...

Seats are from around seventies I guess, and does not have the gape between back of the seat and seat.

Attachments

• seat1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 440
  • A100seat6.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 459
The gap can be put in by the upholsterer. She'll just cut the foam a bit short on the back & tighten up the covering.

There are not to many pre-´70 photos to be found, but I have a god picture of what to aim fore.
So..."Plymouth" on the rear quarter, and a name on the door, maybe on a patch is a must... and not to many decals in this early years. Also them white stars looking details, if not to many, add that extra personality.

I have seen bumper guards on the West Virginia Hemi Barracuda of Eddie Smith. Now that car was a former SoxMartin car. May it be this car was one of the none BO29 Barracudas the Burlington Team build and sold as part of their business?? Or was the West Virginia Hemi a BO29??
Main question tho, did some or any of the ´68-69 campaigning SS/B cars had the bumper guards. I assume they were meant to ad some weight on the best possible spot of the car.
It would be a cool feature and one of the in deep know hows, I am looking for.

Now please fill me in on any detail regarding the paint schema...
Thank You So Far.

The West Virgina hemi ran a lot at Eldora raceway in Fairmont WV in the late 80's early 90's
Seen it run many times it was quick and consistent.
Sorry no pictures I did not own a camera back then.

The gap can be put in by the upholsterer. She'll just cut the foam a bit short on the back & tighten up the covering.

Not quite that easy I´m afraid, since the frame has to be moved up some...

Attachments

• seatbackside2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 435
Stefan, what you have there for a seat frame is the newer early 70s style
with the round tubing style frame.
I have never personally modified this style frame to look like the 66-69
frame myself but of course with some cutting and welding it can be done
as they are fairly close to start with.
As you have already noticed this style doesn't have the gap between the
backrest and cushion. The backrest is a little taller also.
I happen to have a customers pair of seats like the ones you have in the shop
right now so I can get you some accurate measurements of how they differ
from the earlier frames.
I have never bought any reproduction covers from Kramers or legendary to determine
which frame their covers are designed to fit. But it would make more sense they are made
to fit the 69 on back frames.
The 69 and earlier frame is not a round tube frame. It is constructed of folded flat steel.
The foam is a separate removable part from the frame on the newer tube style you have.
This will make it easier for you to modify so your covers will fit.
With the older flat steel frame this is not the case. The steel frame was placed in a mold
and foam was injected encasing the frame making the foam and steel a single part. Then to be
upholstered with the vinyl cover.
I will take some measurements and post here later today.
You need to look at your covers. The backs in particular. If they don't appear to be long enough
top to bottom by an inch or two it can be safely assumed they were made to fit the 66-69
frames. I will show you how the backrest cover will need to be fastened to the frame at the
lower gap. You will have to build this provision into your frame as it is not there on the newer
style. Not hard at all but something you need to know for the covers to fit.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Thanks ssba, very useful info.
These photos of the back of the seat may be useful...
Note tho measure "A" goes all the way down to where back rest ends, measure 20,0" is correct.

Attachments

• seatbacksidemess2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 423
  • seatcoverback.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 413
  • seat2mess_redigerad-1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 423
Stefan here is some measurement's taken from a 66-69 A-100 seat frame. Should help you get your frames to size.
Height from table to top of backrest is 20 3/4"
Height from table to tack strip is 5"
I took a close up of the tack strip attached to the lower rung.
This is where the backrest cover will staple to the frame.
It is a paper/tar type material but a strip of hardwood could
be used to work better.

Attachments

• IMG_20141103_155442_861.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_20141103_155725_412.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_20141103_160031_952.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 369
Thank you, and no hurry tho... the "A" and "B" measurements, and width "C" and depth of the seat. With your help this seats are going to look awesome. And has to be. They are such a specific feature of these cars, and must look perfect... Now if I only can make them look somewhat used. Or the one on the drivers side that is... May be put it in my old sexiest something Volvo Tractor Loader. As a matter of fact it has a Bostrom seat in it, a lot heavier though, but quiet like it :)
I did contact some of the firms that sell farm equipment, but on luck... but like I say, with your help this project really is heading in the right direction... And who would believe Volvo could contribute to a project like this any way :)
And again, I appreciate any input and comment as I move along.
Still waiting for two brackets that need to be made, square tubing's that fit snug in the brackets of the rotisseries...

Attachments

• seatbackside2AB.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 401
Thank you, and no hurry tho... the "A" and "B" measurements, and width "C" and depth of the seat. With your help this seats are going to look awesome. And has to be. They are such a specific feature of these cars, and must look perfect... Now if I only can make them look somewhat used. Or the one on the drivers side that is... May be put it in my old sexiest something Volvo Tractor Loader. As a matter of fact it has a Bostrom seat in it, a lot heavier though, but quiet like it :)
I did contact some of the firms that sell farm equipment, but on luck... but like I say, with your help this project really is heading in the right direction... And who would believe Volvo could contribute to a project like this any way :)
And again, I appreciate any input and comment as I move along.
Still waiting for two brackets that need to be made, square tubing's that fit snug in the brackets of the rotisseries...

Try Seats Inc. or Bostrum Seating. They will be able to help you.

:glasses7:

Yes thank you sscuda, I think am well off with these seats, and with the covers from Kramer AS, and may be some info from him about the width, I should be able to get this seats correct...

So finally brackets are fixed, and body is in rotisseries. I use heat gun and a cheese slicer to remove under coating. Yes it is flexible and follow contours nicely, without causing any scratches. I will do one quarter at a time, than seal with epoxy primer. Except for the trunk pocket on right side, car has no sign of rust.

Attachments

• karossnurra utefrån4.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 369
  • under säkerhetsb fäste 5.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 352
Old tractor garage is tight, but will have to do...

Attachments

• karossnurrabak 004.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 327
Cut outs... don´t have to worry about them.

Attachments

• R cut out.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 343
Yes thank you sscuda, I think am well off with these seats, and with the covers from Kramer AS, and may be some info from him about the width, I should be able to get this seats correct...

Hello Stefan,

No problem, glad to help in any small way.

Leggett and Platt AG or NHK (after market group) will be able to supply you with sinuous springs should you need them.

It's nice to see your enthusiam in a restoration / build. I wish I still had it.

Nice progress too.

:glasses7:

Just want to wish You Guys and Gals a good weekend.
We don´t specifically celebrate Thanksgiving here in Sweden, but I remember way back, I used to gather some friends, and we had... well not a turkey, but some chicken wings and a couple of beers... :) Parked outside was Thorgny´s ´68 GTS, My ´71 340 Duster and a few more, and a little further away Nils´s ´67 390 Stang Vert ;) ... Well the cars are gone of cause, but might just take up on a get together, and make it a tradition...

Stefan do you have your covers from Kramers yet?
Kind of curious how they are fitting your frames.
The covers will determine your width. The frames will have
to be made to match your covers. I think they should be fine as is. I have never had a set of covers from them to give you any better info.
I will get you the stock a-100 cover width as a comparison but
don't trust this. Trust your covers as that is what you will be using.
Your car looks very clean. Congrats on getting it on the rottisarie. Keep up the momentum.

Pictures of factory A-100 van seat covers. Made in 1968 or 69.
Top photo is the width of the cushion seat. 19"
The other 3 photos show the width 18 3/4"and height 17 1/2"of the back panel insert of the seatback. And the face width of the seat back at 19".
I would be interested to hear if these are the same size as what Kramers are offering.

Attachments

• IMG_20141224_121809_897.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20141224_122218_866.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20141224_122030_749.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20141224_121932_500.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 208
Pictures of factory A-100 van seat covers. Made in 1968 or 69.
Top photo is the width of the cushion seat. 19"
The other 3 photos show the width 18 3/4"and height 17 1/2"of the back panel insert of the seatback. And the face width of the seat back at 19".
I would be interested to hear if these are the same size as what Kramers are offering.

Yes thank you ssba, I let you know as soon as I have got them...

Christmas is a busy time here on the farm, so not much have been done on the body. But at least I have found some parts that will add to the SS/B Barracuda engine compartment of the 1968-69 era, and the reverse lock out, don´t you think? But can someone help me with the correct lengths of the lever on the reverse lock out, and the size of the red ball... at least the lever is to short...
Thanks in advance.
Stefan

Attachments

• newparts16 003.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 218
-
Back