SS/B Barracuda project

-
Stefan my vote goes to the flat plate for the heater motor
delete. This is a unrestored car with some updates done to it along the way.
By the way if it hasn't been mentioned they all were hastily painted black under the hood and
probably in the trunk also.

Just out of curiosity when you find a old Mopar over in Sweden is it more likely
to be right hand drive or ?

Attachments

• IMG_20141021_013844_244-1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 408
There was a place selling repro side Dart glass from Brazil. Brazil ran Darts with the same windows up to the 80's I think. Troy bought some for a great deal and they are thinner than stock. Cheap thinner repro glass = perfect! About halfway between Corning glass and factory glass!!

There's some FABO members here from Brazil. You might want to contact them.

Corning glass is not very practical. To take it that far, you better super detailed on EVERYTHING else

There doesn't seem to be a real SS car that is restored with extreme high detail that people are doing nowadays and reflecting the knowledge that is out there currently.

Thanks for the info. For now Lexan will have to do. I am more of concern with weight and looks of the door. I might cut out any sheet other than what is necessary to keep the stability and the tracks, although this was not done originally.
It would be cool though, to add some marking at the right spot of the "glass". A photo of a side glass from a Hurst build would be of great interest.

The markings on the glass had the pentstar. I tried to get pictures of them
but they came out unreadable so I can't post a good photo.

There doesn't seem to be a real SS car that is restored with extreme high detail that people are doing nowadays and reflecting the knowledge that is out there currently.

There is a lot of fact in this statement. There are a few guys who are restoring real cars and
trying very hard to return them to how they were by erasing years of updates. It is very costly for them to buy the original parts when they can find them. They search for years. There is a lot of uncertainty in areas and it can be difficult to get answers. I have found some guys who will share and some that won't.
Some who have these cars and some answers are secretive and don't particularly care for guys cloning these cars and they feel it is not good for the information to be known and could confuse or add counterfits the hobby. At least that is my take on them when I encounter this type.
Because of this I was kind of curious to see how many would contribute to to this thread and
and what would be revealed.
I would consider it impossible to build a car that was indistinguishable from the real McCoy.
If ever there was a car that truly was questionable in the eyes of the people in the know it would have to be a car that at some point sat next to a genuine and had many parts transfered
over as in a rebodied car.
What we can accomplish here with this thread will not fool the owners of these cars.
But we can build a likeness to enjoy that is more obtainable than the genuine article.
Along the same lines as cloning a formula S or GTS but I would say more difficult.
Some will be bothered by it some not.[/QUOTE]

Yes so true... and in my case, I do this for my on peace of mind. And with you help I know I will be very successful... Thanks all of you so fare.
I am not sure I would be more satisfied with a factory SS. Economically of cause but besides that, these cars are such a special part of your drag racing history, I thing they belong to America. Of cause I, like some of you guys think back. and go if if if.
In the mid seventies Don Grotheer put up his Barracuda for sale in the National Dragster. Less than 8k I thing. Spare engine and stuff... Some arrangements were made with transportation to Gothenburg here in Sweden, but like I say it is nothing I keep thinking of...

Stefan my vote goes to the flat plate for the heater motor
delete. This is a unrestored car with some updates done to it along the way.
By the way if it hasn't been mentioned they all were hastily painted black under the hood and
probably in the trunk also.

Just out of curiosity when you find a old Mopar over in Sweden is it more likely
to be right hand drive or ?

No all cars that was sold in Sweden are like yours. I thing England though and Australia may sit to the right when driving :) In Sweden we drive to the right. In England to the left...

With proper measurements of the plate I can fix that. Sheet metal I guess, or aluminium??

The markings on the glass had the pentstar. I tried to get pictures of them
but they came out unreadable so I can't post a good photo.

Yes I come up with something... A pentstar, something about "Safety Corning Glass" and a part number Ha ha... Thank You ssba...

I would take a tracing around the ring for the motor on a piece of aluminum
myself. I would guess that is what was done. Seems they would have the dimple in them if they went to the parts bin for the factory block off plate. Of course this is a guess. They do have a flat on one side. They are painted black so I couldn't tell if aluminum or steel by looking at it.
Being the entire car was engineered for lightweight it would make sense to use aluminum.

myself. I would guess that is what was done. Seems they would have the dimple in them if they went to the parts bin for the factory block off plate. Of course this is a guess. They do have a flat on one side. They are painted black so I couldn't tell if aluminum or steel by looking at it.
Being the entire car was engineered for lightweight it would make sense to use aluminum.

Yes...I think semi gloss black would be a good choice in engine compartment, and under car as well as in the trunk? Remember the car has been with the racer some time now, and the Cosmopolitan shade to the front suspension probably is covered??

In "the Book" it says something about a direction from the Hurst facility directed that a purple ´68 Road Runner horn be installed in the Barracuda only.
I have never seen or heard anything about such a horn? Was there any Barracuda delivered from Hurst with a purple horn??

Yes I come up with something... A pentstar, something about "Safety Corning Glass" and a part number Ha ha... Thank You ssba...

Stefan,

FYI

There was a guy in Class Racer.com that was selling new old stock Dow-Corning "thin side glass" for a '68 SS Cuda. I inquired about it and he was asking $2,000.00 USF.

The thread was "Original Hemi Cuda". It's still an active thread as of today.

Hope this helps.

:glasses7:

The trick here, IMO, & I've done it on another car, is to purposely put a few things in the car that only the most knowledgeable people would know to be incorrect. This would give the outward appearence of a correct car but under close scrutiny, as in an appraisal, could only be distinguished as a copy. The car I did got sold by its 3rd (I think) owner as an "original" &
supposedly went to Switzerland. I lost track of it after that so I know there's at least one fake out there claiming to be an original.........

Stefan,

FYI

There was a guy in Class Racer.com that was selling new old stock Dow-Corning "thin side glass" for a '68 SS Cuda. I inquired about it and he was asking $2,000.00 USF.

The thread was "Original Hemi Cuda". It's still an active thread as of today.

Hope this helps.

:glasses7:

Thank you, But in my opinion this glass are better of on a factory SS. Sense I cant get the other parts, this would be kind of a waist. Besides in my own piece of mind, I look for the over all approach, and in this case it can be done with thin Lexan.
Interesting there are part parts for sale though.
Don´t get me wrong sscuda, I appreciate your tip, but I hope you see my point here.
Than again... If they had been taken off from the first Sox&Martin cuda, I would have consider... but than again price would have been adjusted accordingly... :) I guess...

The trick here, IMO, & I've done it on another car, is to purposely put a few things in the car that only the most knowledgeable people would know to be incorrect. This would give the outward appearence of a correct car but under close scrutiny, as in an appraisal, could only be distinguished as a copy. The car I did got sold by its 3rd (I think) owner as an "original" &
supposedly went to Switzerland. I lost track of it after that so I know there's at least one fake out there claiming to be an original.........

Yes I see your point...
But it would be very interesting to know the price the Swiss guy had to pay for the car.
Are we talking $80-90k or more, well than there is a problem, with an original part or two, on a clone.
Do you know the approximate price of the car hemicop??

Block off plates were steel. They are a factory part, just off a heater delete car. As is the heater delete box. My friends has an original block off plate and it is the same tracing as the outside of the motor ring.

Block off plates were steel. They are a factory part, just off a heater delete car. As is the heater delete box. My friends has an original block off plate and it is the same tracing as the outside of the motor ring.

Fine thank you...

Please I need more photos of these cars, taken in 1968 or 1969 to be successful with my project.
Eventually the car shall be painted in period correct paint schemes, and have decals form this era.
So please help me with any picture from 1968-69 of these cars, inside and outside, from under and from above :)
Thanks in advance...

Stefan the cars used the decals more sparingly In 69 than they did
a couple years later. The class racer forum is a vast site and can be a little
overwhelming but their is more pictures of these cars at the track as raced
there than anywhere I know of. They have a threads dedicated to them.
I do not know how to post links or I would.
McVeys Invader dart is a unrestored original as raced in 69. That is a good example.
But there are many.

Stefan the cars used the decals more sparingly In 69 than they did
a couple years later. The class racer forum is a vast site and can be a little
overwhelming but their is more pictures of these cars at the track as raced
there than anywhere I know of. They have a threads dedicated to them.
I do not know how to post links or I would.
McVeys Invader dart is a unrestored original as raced in 69. That is a good example.
But there are many.

Yes I can find it. Yes it is tempting to do to much here. I will make notes about this particular and so important section, sense one can easily ruin the over all appearance.
Thank you for keeping me on this narrow path ;)

good luck with your build

My friend is restoring a real SS Barracuda Back to original

The car is # 7 sold

Attachments

• IMG_4748.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 354
good luck with your build

My friend is restoring a real SS Barracuda Back to original

The car is # 7 sold

Awesome, from what year is the pic...
And I specially fancy those like stars... gonna have a few of them.
Thanks

Very cool, looks like 1969 from here.
I always like a good Hemi in action vintage photo.

-
Back