SS Springs on 75 Duster

-
It would be nice to have a crankshaft snout extension to be able to use the big degree wheel.
Maybe I could have my machine at buddy make one.

would make it easier for old people to see the numbers....lol

Getting it back together....actually got beyond this got intake on ...valve covers on...just need to get driver side header on....got new electric water pump motor from summit today....

i got 1.6 rockers on the intake and 1.5 on the exhaust....had a set already on the shafts and ready to go ...so just swapped it all out..

I got a spare new radiator...and got a new 16 inch electric fan....so it will be running tomorrow....gotta change the oil too...

20200221_144444_resized.jpg

Bled the brakes again...pedal was not firm on the 1st press.....
Adding another hood pin in the rear of the hood ....looks like a sail ....might even add an one in the front...dam cheap *** hood...lol
need to replace throttle cable...still using the old /6 cable which is longer and now is twisted to work on SB....got a replacement ...

got a new radiator and electric fan and electric water pump motor to replace the one we used on the 71 duster last weekend.
need to take that radiator to the radiator shop and have it fixed....spare

then i think am done

and I thought i was done...MF....i hate this engine....

got the hood pin done....hood fit great now....good and tight....

so I put the valve covers to check the valve after breaking in cam.....i have a pushrod that has the cup destroyed.....and has banged up the rockers....
Ok..i have spares....pushrods and rockers.....
cleaned up the aluminum chips....but going to flush engine again....this engine is going to have the cleanest oil...
anyway....looking at the other pushrods...apparently 5 more of them have cracks in the pushrod cup on the same side.......these are Crane chromemoly pushrods....they are probably have been used before but would never expect them to all fail like this...I guess trying to use the parts i have on this project is costing me time and money.....*****

Will be calling Smith Bros in the morning...and throwing them all away...even the spares...

Smith Bros pushrods showed up last night...put them in this morning....got the rockers back on....now running again...put it on the trailer for next Friday night....hoping to make another good improvement ......will need to put side bars in the car...

S $%%%%%%%% a message from the cat as she walks across my laptop.....
#

Me and green duster will be there...Dart driver is going to visit part time BF at Bakersfield Meet

Ok...75 Duster made it to track tonight....only made two passes..as my tail lights were not work...actually none of the gauge lights working either....

1st pass... 2nd pass

60 ft 1.606 1.556
330' 4.600 4.553
660' 7.165 7.117
mph 95.25 95.21
1000' 9.405 9.357
1320 11.314 11.268
mph 117.54 117.41

2nd pass i got up on the converter more....tomorrow I will take the valve covers off and check things again....give me some more confidence ...lol

I see a black sheep in the family......or is that blue:D

Crane or MP are all the same rockers...made by Crane...it was already on the shaft....got boxes full of spares....

Last edited:
11.258 @ 118.04....2and time run

1 hour delay. ...dragster crashed

well...dragster crashed and instead of cleaning up the lane....they prepped the the other two lanes....and then...and then someone oil down one of those lanes......lol....

yes.....dial 11.25 in round one....other guy red light...i ran a 11.255 at 118 had a .044 light....on to round 2...
ok....guess here....moved dial up to 11.26....and hit a .006 light....other was dial 10.28...looking for him....hit the brakes....and my light does not come on....as he goes by me his light comes on....
I run 11.242 at 112 on the binders........oh well....i had fun....lol

i had a msd chip issue earlier....the high side had a 7000 rpm chip in it...i moved the shift light from 6300 to 6500 ....well...right before i would shift...it sounded like it was hitting the chip....??????
so i removed the 7000 chip and plug in a 7500 as that is what i could find.....sounds better...lol....

Have not foot braked a car in years....but ....like a bike....

anyway i get to do it again tomorrow.....

i pulled the valve covers this morning and had one exhaust rocker that felt loose...adjusted it...was just wiggling them by hand...lol

Save up s few bucks and buy a plug in adjustable box instead of chips. You will love yourself for doing so.

Car ran great....11.19 and 11.20 in the time trails....dial 11.19....ran 11.20....but the driver was late....the other driver was not....lol

i am really surprised that this old duster ran that fast...11.19 at 118.56...
well....i am ordering a new set of slicks...these are really old set of 9 x 28 MT,,,,,,,
now to get ready for MATS...two weeks..

Well...3 weeks later...no MATS.....Got new 9 x 29 slicks to mount on the car....that old HF tire machine is gold again....plus got new slicks for the Green Duster...
This Duster will come into the garage as I will be waiting for pushrods....probably get them around thursday ....maybe wednesday....

Need to weld in Side bars to finish roll bar...plus weld in the other two bars from the main hoop into the frame connectors......keeping busying...

friday after work I got working on the side bars......what a pain in the *** ..welding the floor plates in.......then used my Proform Tube notcher...to notch the passenger side bar...had to be the most perfect notch I have ever made...bingo...

Saturday morning....i weld in the passenger side......head over to the driver side...the floor is not as flat as the passenger side....again PIA....weld....hit it with hammer to conform the floor board..done .....get the tube notcher going again....shooting for two for two on the notches....the notcher broke...lol.....well...finished it off with the cutting wheel and grinder.....Got ER Done.

Both welded in....now car is legal with 6 pt roll bar...debating on the two other bars that go to the frame connectors to main hoop.......see how things go later this week....

Moved the fuel pressure gauge from next to the regulator where I can not see it...lol.....to up on the cowling where I can see it....

one more thing to do....mount 9 x 29 new slicks..probably going have to work on the leading edge of the wheel well....

Ok...back to this thing....Going R&R slicks on Duster. Taking off 9 x 28 and putting on 9 x 29 .....

probably going to have to modify the front of the wheel well a bit....

Dam....driver side is slick is flat......going to tighten up the valve core and refill and see what happens...

-
Back