Stalls in Gear, Automatic- Restarts Good- Can Slam it into Gear! EEEK

-
If it does turn out to be a converter that would be the first time in my 35 years I've seen one present that kind of a problem. I will shut my pie hole now lol

I don't really want it to be one. That would such. I'm going to take the suggestions one by one and go through them. The engine can run better, I will get some more concrete answers for all. Putting the mechanical pump on and the old base gasket for the carb unfortunately didn't change anything but I feel much better with those on instead of anything new that didn't change anything anyway.

Thank you for your help and support

If it does turn out to be a converter that would be the first time in my 35 years I've seen one present that kind of a problem. I will shut my pie hole now lol

I was in the trans business for years and saw two, but both of those were locked up solid.

It makes me wonder about that comment you made about a timing jump.
Do you know how to verify that?
(The distributor rotor won't be pointing at the number one plug terminal on the distributor at what the timing marks say are TDC.)
I would say it could be off by as much as 1/4 inch, and if you were to try and compensate for that with the distributor position it just runs worse, or not at all.

Try this it works pretty well.
Use a marker and make a mark on the distributor base and block (like a line from one to the other) to mark the position.
Put the damper and timing marks lined up at what your initial timing is (zero line on the damper at say 10-12 BTDC mark) or whatever your initial is.
Pull the distributor cap and use the marker to make a line down the side of the distributor about an inch long from where the cap sits on the rim downward right under the rotor tip.
Now put your distributor cap back on (just set it on if you want)
Is your number one plug wire directly inline with the line on the side of the distributor?
If not something is off.

Also it's possible you have a rotor phasing issue (meaning the rotor tip is not close enough to the right terminals inside the cap when the distributor fires the coil)
While you have the distributor cap loose and the damper set at your initial timing number look close to see if one of the rotor vanes is directly lined up with the little metal bar in the center of the pickup coil in the distributor.

These simple methods will tell you if you have a jumped timing chain or a rotor phasing problem.

Preakish made me think of one other random possibility that people fight for days on end.
Check for continuity between the two ends of the coil wire and make sure the core isn't burned out of it.
A spark could jump the gap caused by a burned out core until the engine load increases from being put in gear and then it might not be able to jump that burned out gap any longer.
(The more pressure in a cylinder, the harder it is for the spark to jump a gap)
Sometimes the gap inside a coil wire gets so long all the engine will do is idle in neutral. (Seen it multiple times)
Also seen rotors with a hole burned down through the center cause the same problem.
Cylinder pressure increases and causes the spark to go down through the rotor to the top of the distributor shaft.
This is a lot more common of HEI or other high powered ignitions, but it happens.

You know something today while the engine was running I swear I could hear what sounded like spark jumping inside the distributor. I put a new cap and rotor on it and thought na, that's probably the carburetor making its strange noises. The pick up was touching the reluctor and the reluctor does have some shinny spots now. I wonder if the spark is getting all confused and jumping where it can to a ground? I feel like this thing is a nightmare of problems.

I was in the trans business for years and saw two, but both of those were locked up solid.

Yup. Think about it fellas. Whats the only way an automatic transmission will squawk the tires when put into gear at that RPM? Locked up converter. The second he puts it in gear the car wants to go. There's no "fluid clutch" that is the torque converter. It squawks the tires. The weight and brakes prevent the car from moving. The load is transferred back onto the engine. It's the only place it can go, load has to go somewhere. Engine can't handle it. Stall.

That looks and sound like a bad converter to me.

Didn't want to read this but the truth as they say hurts. A few times in the last few days of working on this thing it has, For a few seconds, and this was only twice, stayed running for like 2-3 seconds as opposed to the usual immediate stalling.

Yup. Think about it fellas. Whats the only way an automatic transmission will squawk the tires when put into gear at that RPM? Locked up converter. The second he puts it in gear the car wants to go. There's no "fluid clutch" that is the torque converter. It squawks the tires. The weight and brakes prevent the car from moving. The load is transferred back onto the engine. It's the only place it can go, load has to go somewhere. Engine can't handle it. Stall.

I've tested for broken engine mounts this way too it wanted to go to with the rpms I raise it up to. Not to confuse what you are saying but this is what comes to mind too. But I also don't remember it trying to move the vehicle that much either. Damn getting old

Yup. Video makes it clear. Thats gotta be a converter issue. Otherwise the tires couldn't squawk. Quits a lot quicker than I imagined..

Easy enough job, at least.

I cant beleive I called this one at post #30........ hell, I am usally wrong, if you ask most people on this board!

I cant beleive I called this one at post #30........ hell, I am usally wrong, if you ask most people on this board!

It's becoming apparent that this is the problem but why today did it run for a few seconds on its own in gear no fuel pedal adding more rpms fuel? If this thing is so locked up then how did it unlock up for those brief few seconds? So confused,right now.

It's becoming apparent that this is the problem but why today did it run for a few seconds on its own in gear no fuel pedal adding more rpms fuel? If this thing is so locked up then how did it unlock up for those brief few seconds? So confused,right now.

I'd like to reply to about every post since my last one, but I just can't right now, sorry.
Yea, it quit to violently to be much of anything else, but I really did almost expect to watch the video and see it start stumbling and sputter out but nope.

Ferdinand, do not mistake twitching for being alive. :D
Those moments that it worked a little bit were just involuntary after death twitches.:D

Let me look at all this when my eyes are open, a little busy here at the moment, Looks like you have some good eyes on it already..

Let me look at all this when my eyes are open, a little busy here at the moment, Looks like you have some good eyes on it already..

I agree, people have been great with sharing their knowledge and opinions this past week. Every input has brought a different view point that I in some cases haven't even known or thought about with my experience in cars.
Thank you

What is the exact transmission? Lockup or Non Lockup? If lockup is it a Hyd. applied or release? Reason I point all this out is that it might be a valve body/lockup circuit problem also.

I agree, people have been great with sharing their knowledge and opinions this past week. Every input has brought a different view point that I in some cases haven't even known or thought about with my experience in cars.
Thank you

Some of us are almost old enough to remember when they went to hex head bolts from square, that's why. :D

What is the exact transmission? Lockup or Non Lockup? If lockup is it a Hyd. applied or release? Reason I point all this out is that it might be a valve body/lockup circuit problem also.

Yep, it would do exactly the same thing if it was an activated lockup converter.
Actually have seen that happen, and I can't remember which one it was (thinking 700R4?) that would sometimes not unlock when coming to a stop because of a stuck converter piston.
I'd be surprised if after all this he mentioned it was a lockup though.

don't know, most of my info relies on what I find on the internet. Im sure some will know here but what I can tell you is that there are no vacuum lines to it, no electrical connectors other than the two wire for the safety neutral switch and a mechanical speedo cable. I once had a vehicle that would stay in lock up coming to a stop and do the same thing completely cut the engine off. id unplug the lock up converter and boom drive away. sure does feel similar to that experience. going to guess being that old non lock up? I think the valve body is a real basic hydraulic unit. real cool car though, well engineered I think. was thinking of doing a tranny service to c if that makes any difference.

Some of us are almost old enough to remember when they went to hex head bolts from square, that's why. :D

tappet days? ha, hey that's cool you old guys being here helping out us young fellers (43) this is why we need each other in this world. I want this car to run. it sat for years before I picked it up. it deserves to be on that road again.

Yep, it would do exactly the same thing if it was an activated lockup converter.
Actually have seen that happen, and I can't remember which one it was (thinking 700R4?) that would sometimes not unlock when coming to a stop because of a stuck converter piston.
I'd be surprised if after all this he mentioned it was a lockup though.

going to try to find the original options paperwork I have. it might show that in there. mind u I think that would be too much detail for the average purchaser to need to know.

after looking on internet for now ive found that it could be a three-speed TorqueFlite if that means something to you.

found some old school info.

"There is also a hydraulic difference between neutral and park: the “Park” location of the manual valve (inside the valve body) allows fluid to leak from the valve, creating a line pressure drop. This low pressure in park keeps the converter from completely filling and loading the engine unnecessarily.

In neutral, the converter is filled and there are no “controlled leaks,” as in park. This is the reason Torqueflites should always have the level checked only in neutral. If you check the level in park, the level checks higher than it really is."

I checked the fluid level in park only. the trans is a bit oil. I wonder now if the fluid is low enough to effect the converter operation. making it confusing again.

Not to be redundant, but you could have pulled the gearbox, installed a new converter and been down to the drive through several times by now.

Your converter is JUNK. GARBAGE. TRASH. CRAPOLA. HASHED. GASSED. SHOT. ****. USED UP. WASTED. SMOKED. POKED. STROKED.

Stop looking for a pulse. The cadaver is grey and rigor mortis is full on stiff. No CPR will help, neither will mouth to mouth.

Say a quick prayer to the god of ATF and busted knuckles and get it out of there.

Me, I'd take that converter to the range and shoot it until it was no more. But that's just me. Or I'd smash it with my BFH until it was just a pile of shred.

Hope you stop this insanity soon and fix your car.

I checked the fluid level in park only. the trans is a bit oil. I wonder now if the fluid is low enough to effect the converter operation. making it confusing again.

No. YR is right. Its hosed. Trying to fix it or bust it loose or anything else is an exercise in futility. Replace it with a known good unit and all should be well.

Pretty sure lock up converters were a 78 and up thing for the Mopar transmissions. Your small block will have the A-904 and unless it was replaced with a later model not likely to be a lockup unit. This being said pulling the transmission is a great opportunity to make some nice upgrades. Shift correction kit, a little more stall in the converter and the low first gear set can really add some fun to that car!

-
Back