Star Wars

-
Rogue one may just be favorite. I really enjoyed the last movie. I thought it was done well. Have seen it 4 times. I remember seeing the first one I was seven and would not sleep alone because I thought Darth Vader was gonna get me
I am very glad that you and others enjoy it.

That means our complaints did not fall on deaf ears, unfortunately one has to hit them in the wallet for them to listen.

I’ll watch it on someone’s video.

Disney spent tons retaping and edits and testing alternative endings with showings that included destroying the millennium falcon, killing Chewbacca, c3po, R2, Lando-all in one inconsequential blast at the end.

They actually had walkouts during those showings. It took the fans to bring it into the executives perception-that there was a problem with lazy plot. Fans had to blast Disney when JJ Abrams said there wasn’t any source material. I do not understand the disconnect whether it is ignorance or agenda.
Fans turned John Boyega against Disney.
The last movie was a real problem for us that cared-destroying everything we knew.

Personally I thought Solo was meh, again lazy or mediocre script & plot. It had the potential to be sooo much better.

I can’t believe creating Zootopia and Finding Dory cartoons cost so much to produce.
Must be other people’s money.

I thought Rouge One was decent and did play right into the beginning of "episode IV".

They should probably get credit for daring to put out a project without a happy ending.

Who knew Laura Dern had such a long neck?

I enjoyed parts of Solo.

I liked learning about his past, although I think they missed several opportunities to really expound on the Lando character.

I for one would watch a whole series about the adventures of Han, Chewie, and Lando, prior to them being hired to fly to Alderaan.

No underlying plot necessary, just an hour adventure each episode with a touch of grit.

I guess it was hard for me to get over the actor changes. And I thought the giant nebula sized space creature (with eyes and a jaw) that tried to eat the ships was the 'jump the shark' moment where all pseudo-fantasy turned into sight gags. Could have totally left that out.

What do y’all think about the Mandalorian show?
Outstanding! It could be improved, only as I see the writers changing who the main character is (cold, then caring;brilliant then ignorant) to suit their whims-without consideration. The enemies and advisaries are dynamic and utterly brilliant. No repeats in plot, was only disappointed in that there are no new episodes today.

It comes off like an old western.

That little whistle noise in some scenes is actually from The Good The Bad And The Ugly. They just slowed it down. But same notes.

I like it. It has some references to Knights of the Old Republic. The sword at the end is in that story. It belonged to the King of the Mandalorians. Is supposed to be made before the light saber

I thought Rouge One was decent and did play right into the beginning of "episode IV".

They should probably get credit for daring to put out a project without a happy ending.

I liked Rogue One right up until the final scene where they completely blew it. The Death Star plans were transmitted to the Rebel ship. The rebels then transfer the plans to some kind of disk, and they're running out of time because Vader and Storm troopers have boarded the ship. The disc is handed off to a runner that rushes it to Leia's ship while Vader and his Storm troopers follow closely behind. (Will the runner make it? The suspense is killing me!!!!) Of course the runner makes it, but Vader is right there just beyond reach and sees the hand-off take place. So Vader knows what the disc contains, he saw the hand off and saw Leia's ship make a run for it immediately after. This robs her denial that she's involved with the Rebellion in episode IV of any shred of credibility and was a brain dead ham fisted move on the part of the writers. They could just as easily have had the last minute drama centered on receiving the plans from the surface and then re-transmitting them to Leia's ship some great distance away before they could be stopped. They could even have had other ships in the vicinity of hers so that Vader would have to make assumptions as to which one had actually received the plans. At least then her effort to convince Vader that she was simply on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan and had no clue what he was talking about wouldn't have been reduced to a half baked pathetic lie as it was after Rogue One got through with it.

There were some other things that went on in the last few scenes I wasn't real happy with IIRC but it's been a while.....

I guess it was hard for me to get over the actor changes. And I thought the giant nebula sized space creature (with eyes and a jaw) that tried to eat the ships was the 'jump the shark' moment where all pseudo-fantasy turned into sight gags. Could have totally left that out.
I like it. It has some references to Knights of the Old Republic. The sword at the end is in that story. It belonged to the King of the Mandalorians. Is supposed to be made before the light saber
Did you guys notice the tremendous amount of editing of script and dialogue and even added parts that has happened to the prequels? Especially the last one. Allot of tiny pieces of dialogue are gone now. Never mind Han Solo has been rewritten to have shot Greedo afterwards.

I don’t know why they edited so much of the movies.

It would take an original VHS cassette to see the originals now. And the prequels were DVD era...

I was also reminded that the original theatrical presentation does NOT begin with "Episode IV".

I thought something was fishy around the 5th or 6th time I saw it (might have been on cable), but everyone said I was crazy.

I was only 9.

My recollection is that it did. I was only a little older, but remember thinking it was odd since movies didnt usually assume there would be sequels..back then

I have them on VHS and those have been Digitaly Remastered. It has a bonus feature of George Lucas explaining why he added. He did not have the technology back then to do some of the scenes he wanted too.

My recollection is that it did. I was only a little older, but remember thinking it was odd since movies didnt usually assume there would be sequels..back then

You are correct. Episode IV was clearly displayed in the Film I saw back in 77 and was a popular subject of speculation. Definitely not added later.

Are you absolutely sure that is the original cut?

spaceballs-

Daphne Zuniga.......YUM!

Here is some more evidence to support my position on the "Episode IV" issue-

1- The original cut has NEVER been released on VHS, laser-disk, DVD, or streaming- NEVER!

2- In 1981 the film was re-released ahead of the release of "The Empire Strikes Back". At that time the name of the film was actually changed from "Star Wars" to "Star Wars Episode IV, A New Hope". The consensus among most fans is that this is when the prologue crawl got changed.

3- The initial release on VHS was in 1982, so that release is the "Episode IV" version.

4- Lucas originally thought the film would flop and even left the continental US to avoid ridicule when it premiered. He freely admits he never thought of a sequel, let alone a trilogy of trilogies until he saw the pandemonium at the theaters in the news.

5- some copies of the original cut have surfaced in 35mm format. Lucas actively confiscates those and they are never seen again.

6- The rights to the original trilogy did not convey when Disney purchased the franchise. They remain the property of 20th century Fox, so Disney can't release an original cut version even if they wanted to simply because they do not have it or own the rights.

If you can find an original cut, you had better also buy a lottery ticket because the odds of finding one are much worse that winning the lottery, and you should also buy a 35MM projector as that's the only format it's available in, oh and hire a lawyer to fend off Lucas when he comes to confiscate it.

-
Back