Starter in a bind

-

Heim

Reaction score
About 4 out of 5 times I start my 73 duster it starts ok but the other time I get just a click, like the gear moved forward and did not line up putting it in a bind. If I turn the engine over just a little bit by hand I can hit the switch and it fires right up. I would say it needs a shim but was told that these cars don't require a starter shim. Thoughts?

If it's a fairly big "thud" IE the starter solenoid pulling in, it could be a couple of things----

the battery cable may be damaged internally right where it hooks to the starter from engine vibration, or you need a starter.

I'll check the cables the starter is new and is the 2nd replacement this year.

You need a starter. The drive is engaging but the motor isn't turning. Very common Mopar problem even to this day. Before everyone starts yelling at me, yes you can probably get brushes and fix it yourself if you are capable. A reman starter is cheap and easy.

Check all cables, and grounds.
Second replacement starter this year?
Sounds like a junk batch of starters.
Do you have headers? Heat from headers will kill full size starters quick.
I would go to a mini starter off a 94 dakota, truck or van, cheap in the junk yards.
If it had a v8 or v6 it is the same.
The biggest problem I have have had wilth all my mopars is the huge stock starter.
Since going to the mini one I have not replaced any.
My factory 94 dakota had the original starter when I sold it to my neighbor at 100K miles, he drove it until 150K and as far as I know the starter was never changed.
My dads 99 grand uses the same style starter with a different nose and we just changed it at 190K because it got full of oil from a leaky valve cover gasket.
The stock mini starter is a great design, much better and lighter than the old school ones.

Does it grind? Bad pion gear, probably ring gear on flywheel/ converter. They stop in 3 places, 120 degrees apart, and get worn if starter starts hitting wrong.

Yes I have headers and I like the idea of the mini starter from a Dakota. I didn't think of that. It does not grind at all it just a click and does not fully ingage. But now that I think about it I had a friend looking at it and that is what he said when i hit the switch. It sounds more like when you have a dead battery but there is only one click not numerous clicking noises. I am getting ready to check the cables next and hopefully it will be something small and simple.

Yes I have headers and I like the idea of the mini starter from a Dakota. I didn't think of that. It does not grind at all it just a click and does not fully ingage. But now that I think about it I had a friend looking at it and that is what he said when i hit the switch. It sounds more like when you have a dead battery but there is only one click not numerous clicking noises. I am getting ready to check the cables next and hopefully it will be something small and simple.

Smack it with a hammer a few times while someone is cranking it. When it turns over, you can thank me and go buy that high torque mini starter you have always wanted. :)

Smack it with a hammer a few times while someone is cranking it. When it turns over, you can thank me and go buy that high torque mini starter you have always wanted. :)

Thanks for the advise I beat till it broke:eek:ops:, but I already got the mini and it seams to have fixed the problem:finga:. By the way I did rewire everything while I was there. We will see if this gets it.

Thanks again guys.

-
Back