Starting on the 64

-

GammaRay

Reaction score
Well work is beginning on the 64 225/6 Valiant. I am a big fan of keeping things simple, so the plan for this is to make a reliable, fun car to cruise around in. First couple of things that need to be taken care of is to fix the exhaust leak, which is coming from the gasket where the exhaust pipe bolts up to the manifold. Also, the seal on the front of the transmission needs to be replaced, fluid is just running out... Interior wise, it does need new carpet and seat covers. I will also be installing a stereo, and removing the giant "blue grass forever" bumper stickers that the PO installed on the dash....

Does anyone have suggestions on where to find seat covers for a 64 Valiant Signet 200? Sorry for the crappy pic and yes I know, a wooden block under the tire is no substitute for a quality jack stand...

Attachments

• 64ValShop.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 207
I'm guessing you have a bench seat. Legendary might have the seat upholstery. Also check vendors on eBay & Dantes. There are others I can't think of. If you have bucket seats the upholstery is easy to find. There are lots of vendors for carpet. Search the forum. There was a recent thread on the subject. Please don't cut the dash to install a stereo (if it hasn't already been done). Have fun. :thumleft:

Sorry for not being specific on the seat. It has bucket seats. Of course... it has already had the good ol' "lets cut a jagged hole in the dash for a stereo" treatment done by a past owner. I mean come on, is mounting them below the dash really that bad??

Below the dash, in the glove box, under the seat... anywhere is better than cutting a damn hole in the dash... But it has been done to my 65 wagon too so I have to replace it or modify it to look stock so I feel your pain. If you already have the hole there you might as well put a stereo in it or gauges. Nice car and good luck with the build

Don't be surprised if you find a cracked convertor when you pull it out to change the seal. It's real common to find one there on the hub starting in the pump notches.

Wow!! I love these signet's Valiants Coupe's had a 63 and enjoyed it
I would defiantly do the simple electronic change over and take the points out.
I will be keeping an eye on this cruiser, I built my 66 this way for driving daily
Welcome to this great site, there is some of the best of the best tec's around that will keep you in line and help when needed,
enjoy servicing the brakes, rear end and anything you can till the set covers are found or just have them recovered

Attachments

• i12241.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 181
Outside of mine, yours is the second original black Signet I have even seen and sure brings back memories of when I first got mine. Are you restoring it or modifying?

Keeping it simple might also cost you more money as it simply costs more for cars which aren't of value as much to manufacturers as the are to their car owners.

BTW, I'd rather have a nice wooden block then anything with a chock

Buy jack stands! Then we can look forward to hearing from ya again. Sorry, I couldn't resist - and nothing knots me up tighter than unsafe working conditions. Pretty car, I hope ya get to carry out your plans.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone! cudamark, that is what I am gonna keep a close eye on. I hope it isn't cracked, but if so, so be it. It can be replaced.

Hotlines, the black color on the signet 200 has also been noted by a few other Mopar enthusiast about not seeing many like that. As far as restore or modified, at this point the only mods will be subtle, electric ignition, cragers, stereo, etc.. All stuff I have laying around, so no additional cost there. This thing was brought up here from Tennessee and let me tell you, every floor, trunk pan and the entire underneath in general is rust free.(somehow) I have all of the receipts from the last 10 years the P/O had the car. Total engine rebuild in 03, along with new brakes, wheel cylinders, shocks etc.. Even a radiator rebuild just this year. So mechanically, it is pretty sound already.(I still will go over everything myself) I am just making it as reliable as possible because this will be driven part of the time by my dear ol' mom just back and forth to work.(10 miles round trip) She always wanted a 65 Dart, but hey, close enough!

64ragtop, I know, I know... My jack stands where out at the farm at the time, but I can assure you I have them now!

-
Back