starting problemsPLEASE HELP

-

coyotedusta

Reaction score
I have a 1978318 4bbl 600cfm and i just got a new carb and i put it on and it started right up and i drove it for abut 6-8 miles and i parked it and i tried to start it about 4 days later and it wouldnt start up . so i kept trying and it finally started then it just died so i tried again and it again and it did it again.and now it won't do it again.i tried to replace the spark plugs and it didn't help
the dristributor cap is fine . can somebody please help me?

Start with the basics - you need air, fuel, and spark for a motor to run. Go through them one at a time and make sure you have all three. Next, look at the timing of the events. Does it cough, sputter, backfire? Did you change or adjust anything else?

it is getting fuel i might have to replace the plug wires
but idon't know how to check those. and im new to car mechanics, my brother eddie .a.k.a.Xanth got my into mopar so whats a cermic ballest resistor? if you can show me a pic of one it would help greatly! and i heard from a friend it might be air compression in the carb but i don't know how to check that either.

does the wires go to coil?Because i have two but only one is hooked up. and how much do those cost about? and how do I test it?

I dont know, I have never seen his car in person. He lives close to 6 hours away. Wheat do we need to do to get him up and running again?

it has two wires,one on each side going strait to the coil. i have to charge my battery but i'll get back to you thanks.

Just out of curiousity, have you pulled any plugs to check them? If a bigger carb was just swapped, perhaps you flooded it. I would pull each plug one at a time. If they are wet, and smell like fuel, you can use brake or carb cleaner to clean them off and dry them, but they will need replacement. (or you could just pop in a new set) As they said, you need compression (that deosnt change overnight by itself), fuel (which it sounds like you have plenty of), an spark (which can be effected by too much fuel, plus stuff just dies overnight). You can also check with a cheap "spark tester" to see if the ignition's working. It costs about $5 at the parts store.

Tonys right IMO, In the old days we would keep a spare BR. They don't give any warning.

i swapped out all the plugs.but it didn't help.but i put the same model carb on it accept this one is electric choke

sorry i havn't posted back my starter went out i think so i have to get some money to fix that now. it might be a while.

hear is something few people think of i think of it just because it has hapened to me i if you could cheak if you have spark and that is the case but the plugs are realy wet after you have tried too start up you may have gotten some small piece of rubber in your carb from the hose conecting your fuelline to the carb wich holds something open in your carb and floods the engine when trying to start.

thanks i'll definitly check that.It has new spark plugs,ballast resistor and battery and now when I try to start it it makes a clicking noise like it wants to but i don't know i hope its nothing too bad. when it stops raining i'll check the spark plugs. thanks for all the great advice!

If you turn the key, and it clicks, you're battery is either drained from turning the engine over and not catching, or just dead. Toss it on a charger for a few hours, see if it recovers.

Yup. And you need to solve it, or you'll need a battery charger too...did you pull the plugs yet?

-
Back