Starting work as a Flat Rate Tech this week

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
Alright guys. I'm not going to lie, I'm scared crapless:sad5:. I got hired at Firestone as a flat rate entry level tech. And I'm just that, an entry tech, I have a good idea of how to do my duties, I'm just not really fast yet.

Do any of you flat raters have any tips for me so that I can possibly earn a pay check?

Do you guys impact out most of your bolts (I know not in)? Or use an air ratchet?

Thanks!
Drake

Ok I have been a flat rater for 13 years so I might be able to offer some advice.

#1 don't be afraid to ask for help
#2 Don't use an impact on a bolt until you break it loose by hand you can "feel" if a bolt is going to break or not.
#3 Don't rush just to get the job done in the "book" time You will develop speed as you see more of the same types of jobs.
#4 Be sure to double check everything before and after the job check every inch and point things out to your shop manager he will at least mark it on the ticket if he can't sell the work.
#5 Don't compete for jobs with other guys at work. Keep your own pace and you will earn money as time goes on.

I made 3300 in commission compared to my other tech that only scrapped out 1200
I can run circles around him and he is dealer trained I'm self taught.

My son is a journeyman tech. He uses rust buster spray before impacting out bolts. He said to keep track of your time for each job to make sure you are being paid properly.

Congratulations. The biggest thing I got is don't worry about your speed. That will come in time. Worry about doing it RIGHT.

my Dad told me 50 yrs ago "if I didn't have time to do it right the first time when would I find time to do it over" My motto in my business is "I would rather do half of it right than half *** all of it" I can always go back when they get more money. Has worked for me, Joe

I have a small auto shop with 2 Flat rate techs. I started wrenching before I bought the place and was in your same shoes. Take your time and you'll pick up short cuts along the way and DON'T be afraid to ask for help. Ask questions with other techs if you get to hang around on lunch time. I had to swallow my pride alot - cause , frankly newbies are just that...NEW. It saves everyone's bacon in the long run. that's coming from both sides of the service counter. I wish ya luck!

All great tips guys. I appreciate it. I'm really looking forward to this Job! My only worry about not being fast is possibly getting fired for not turning over enough work. But I guess they hired me on as a C Level Tech for a reason, so I can learn. I can't wait, I think this will be a really gratifying job!

Are there any ways to check a loaded ball joint on a non drive on style lift?

Good luck with the new job! I worked flat rate at a motorcycle stealership before and when they'd get mad at me, they'd slide my all the warranty work which paid almost nothing. Two and a half hours to replace the engine cases on a Voyager full dresser? Bogus. I took my time and did it right.

Anyway, you won't have to worry about warranty work at a Firestone for the most part. Take your time and do the job right the first time as so many here have already said. Watch the pnuematic tools as broken bolts can really wreck your day. The speed will come in time and you will develop a feel for the metal and an efficiency of motion that's almost impossible to teach.

Good luck on the new job and congratz! Be sure to pay your Mom back for helping you out too.

A big Congratulations on your new Job Rusty :cheers:
I see allot of great help and advice here :read2:
All I can really add is stay safe and the one step at a time rule always worked good for me 8)
And the job is not dun till your tools are put back in place and Thank everyone around you for any advice they have to give :happy10:

You can do it :cheers::cheers:

Congrats on the new job and keep your head in the game. When you get really frustrated walk away for a moment to get a drink or something. That way you will have a moment to clear your head.

And the job is not dun till your tools are put back in place and Thank everyone around you for any advice they have to give

That's very true!

Jefflock, thanks man. I've really found that to be the case. There's nothing like a quick break, then when you come back, that power steering line you've been trying to thread into the rack for the past hour magically goes right in!

Oh I've got 2 more "greenhorn" questions.

Do shops typically oil through their air hoses? Also, what is the most common size air fitting for air tools?

I think the best advice for flat rate work is.

First you learn, then you earn.

You aren't going to be able to compete with the guys that have been there longer. At first you'll take 4 hours to do a 2 hour job, but thats ok because at first they're looking for you to be able to do the job right. After you get your feet wet and they're confident you aren't putting out shoddy work, they'll expect you to get faster. Right now don't even worry about rushing anything. Just go at your pace and make sure you don't leave any parts off or forget any crucial steps. Stressing yourself out over speed can be dangerous for the customers.

In the future be careful for rate changes. Your company will most likely roll out some new way to do things or a new diagnostic tool. They'll claim that you will be able to get the job done faster and make more money. That way they'll lower what was once a 4 hour job down to a 3.2. It'll still take you the same amount of time to do, you'll just get paid less for it. At that time when you are more comfortable with your skills, it'll be time to look for a new job.

What everyone said above is good. I can suggest some tools that saved a lot of time when I worked in a tranny shop. A good air ratchet, ratcheting end wrenches, tubing wrenches. Also, get a cheap set of combination wrenches and cut them in half, great for tight spaces.

Well yesterday was my first day at work. I logged 2 hours of flat rate, over 8 hours. Which wasn't too bad considering how slow the shop was, and it being my first day learning how to use everything and where everything was. It seemed that for every flat rate hour, it took me about an hour and a half to complete the job. That's taking my time, and trying to figure out their inspection sheet that we have to fill out on every car. I've also got one of the greatest managers I've ever worked for, and a shop full of employees who aren't jerks/boneheads/or egotistical. Everyone was happy to help me out.

All of your advice definitely helped me my first day! Thanks FABO!

sounds good. You say great manager and good coworkers. You don't know that yet. It will take a month to know what you got. Dont judge a book by the cover.Keep your neck off the block til you know which guys are true and who will toss you under the bus.Good luck man.

-
Back