State of the Economy--Lookin' Good!

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
I've owned a retail store for the past 5 1/2 years, and its been a downward spiral since January 2008. but in my opinion, things are definitely getting better!

Just put my best November ever to bed, and while December started a bit slow, I'm getting slammed now!! :-D Average $ per sale is up, AND I'm getting more customers through the door. I know that its still tough for lots of folks, but from what I'm seeing, the economy is definitely turning around.

Hope this gives some people hope for better times.

That's good news, you folks on the west coast seem to have been hit pretty tough. I had a downturn, partially by design, in 2007 but 08 & 09 are record years. I've been in business for 14 years.

Glad to hear, I had a pretty good week at the body shop which has been dead for months, Got a new full time job starting Jan 1st,on call to plow for the town till then and have a lead on detailing cars for a small used car dealer.

We were talking the other day, there has always been recessions in the past. We got thru them, but what makes this time different is the ability to get instant news. We didn't have that in the past. When you have all these so-called experts giving you instant updates, it lowers the consumers confidence. We don't seem to get the instant good news, just the bad. To get us out of this, we need consumer confidence! Well, just my opinion. Any thought?

I work for Detroit Diesel Corporation and our engine sales which would be around 80,000 to 90,000 units in normal times fell to less than 40,000 this past year. We are seeing a turn around for 2010 slowing ramping up towards the end of 2010 and more in 2011. Slow recovery. Truck sales are a pretty good indicator for how bad times or better times are coming. Jayson

I've owned a retail store for the past 5 1/2 years, and its been a downward spiral since January 2008. but in my opinion, things are definitely getting better!

Just put my best November ever to bed, and while December started a bit slow, I'm getting slammed now!! :-D Average $ per sale is up, AND I'm getting more customers through the door. I know that its still tough for lots of folks, but from what I'm seeing, the economy is definitely turning around.

Mr Fish, Do you think that this is a good time to open up a small business?
I was let go after 18 years and 30 years overall in my chosen field. I am thinking of opening a small kids shoe store in my area. What do you think?

Mr Fish, Do you think that this is a good time to open up a small business?
I was let go after 18 years and 30 years overall in my chosen field. I am thinking of opening a small kids shoe store in my area. What do you think?

Well, I ALWAYS think it's a good time to do what you love. I worked the corporate grind for 20 years before I got fed up and packed it in. Actually, I got laid off, but it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Gave me a chance to open my little "doggie boutique", and while I don't make the money I used to, I'm WAY happier.

Lots of variables in opening up a business, and there are no guarantees. Still, I DO think that people are tired of being frugal. Just remember, the old adage of "location, location, location" being the three most important things in starting a business is absolutely true. Best of luck!

Well, I ALWAYS think it's a good time to do what you love. I worked the corporate grind for 20 years before I got fed up and packed it in. Actually, I got laid off, but it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Gave me a chance to open my little "doggie boutique", and while I don't make the money I used to, I'm WAY happier.

Lots of variables in opening up a business, and there are no guarantees. Still, I DO think that people are tired of being frugal. Just remember, the old adage of "location, location, location" being the three most important things in starting a business is absolutely true. Best of luck!
Thanks, sent you a PM.

Things have been coming in one after another (like it used to be)for the first time since last october. Not big things but lots of little things work too and paydays are more often! I am still too optimistic to say it out loud but I think we may have the right to hope again.

I'm in business for myself as well.Glad to see things are looking up.It was tough for a long while for me too.But recently i scored a huge job which I think will turn things around plus I am really busy for this time of year.Good luck.

My shop is a little more busy. Although on a sad note my buddy was let go from his job of 15 years as an hvac guy due to lack of business and we live in Northern Va. home of lots of jobs!?! He was given no severance pay! Loyalty is skin deep. I will keep my comments on the economy to myself until I see some constant progress. I am glad to see others are doing better. Now if we can get unemployment down we would be doing great. I guess we have to take baby steps.

That good news to hear. I hope it trickles down.

The business you are in is extremely high end clientele.

The Auto industry is booming here in Ontario,Canada.In todays news,Toyota Plant is looking to hire 800 people for 4x4 SUV demand.Hope it trickles across the States.:cheers:

I work for Uhaul and they say when times are "good" people move but when times are "bad" they move more. We have had quite a slow down in our local moves which means people are starting to stay put-- good thing, Our one way moves have kept us a float all year long and we have had actually a better year than last. The moving bussiness is actually a pretty good indicator for the economy and its starting to look better for 2010, Every body just hang in there if you can. It will get better, hopefully soon

Bob

-
Back