Steak marinades

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Pulled a flat iron steak out of the freezer to grill tonight. Anyone care to share their marinating ideas?.

For simple/easy - just marinate with Lee & Perrins Worchestershire and hit it with salt and pepper when you grill.

Pulled a flat iron steak out of the freezer to grill tonight. Anyone care to share their marinating ideas?.

Too late now, but for future reference, when you put it in the freezer put it in a zip lock bag and pour in some Italian salad dressing, the oily kind (just enough to surround it). Get as much of the air out as you can and toss it in the freezer.

Too late now, but for future reference, when you put it in the freezer put it in a zip lock bag and pour in some Italian salad dressing, the oily kind (just enough to surround it). Get as much of the air out as you can and toss it in the freezer.

this makes chicken amazing

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground cumin

This is what I use on my 15 lb briskets. It makes a good Texas style rub for steak too. Just store it in a food storage container.

I like the worcestershire idea but I sprinkle with Uncle chrises steak seasoning. Guessing its a knock off of Ruth Chris steakhouse.

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground cumin

This is what I use on my 15 lb briskets. It makes a good Texas style rub for steak too. Just store it in a food storage container.

That sounds good. I don't like a marinated steak. I use a rub if any thing at all. I have used a similar rub on a big sirloin steak but with more brown sugar. Tender, juicy, and sweet.

Soak your meat in cider or is that soak your meat in side her. You know what I mean. LOL

Prefer dry rubs. Something as simple as sea salt,pepper garlic and onion powder. Montreal Seasoning is ok. Use a rub on ribs and pork butts that is real good as well, has brown sugar, cayenne, cinnamon and a few other things in it...

I like the worcestershire idea but I sprinkle with Uncle chrises steak seasoning. Guessing its a knock off of Ruth Chris steakhouse.

Just fyi Ruth's Chris uses only salt and pepper and a scorching hot broiler, and squirts whipped butter and sprinkles a little chopped fresh parsley, and keeps their plates in a hot oven so when the steak goes on and the butter melts it sizzles.

Prefer dry rubs. Something as simple as sea salt,pepper garlic and onion powder. Montreal Seasoning is ok. Use a rub on ribs and pork butts that is real good as well, has brown sugar, cayenne, cinnamon and a few other things in it...

Me too - he asked about marinades, so I started with that.

Here's my favorite steak rub (out of Raichlen's Book, Barbecue Bile Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades:

http://www.cookmarked.com/recipe/Lo...-dKasBHAwXk3i6IOxy9N5igJ0LupSTSiNHmAnxkyG6pAe

If you haven't tried any of Steve Raichlen's books, try "How to Grill" or "BBQ USA" as a starter - it will seriously up your grilling/smoking/bbqing game!

I found that if you get a good cut of meat and grille it slowly, it needs nothing but a little salt and pepper at the end after it rests for 10 minutes and is plated.

I prefer the dry rub too, garlic powder/onion powder, sea salt, peppercorn ground fresh if you can. I usually get my propane grill (I know, don't say it) as hot as I can and sear the juices in, will rotate the steak 90 degrees after two minutes if I want the criss cross lines. I cook to med rare and let the steak rest for 5-10 covered in aluminum foil. Yum!!! Oh yeah, and I do my final grill brush with a half an onion before throwing the steaks on, not sure how much that adds but like to do it anyway.

You guys are making me hungry. Yes, a quality steak doesn't need much. Just a little grilling.

Just fyi Ruth's Chris uses only salt and pepper and a scorching hot broiler, and squirts whipped butter and sprinkles a little chopped fresh parsley, and keeps their plates in a hot oven so when the steak goes on and the butter melts it sizzles.
Thanks for that info. I have never ponied up for a meal there. It was sheer speculation.

I found that if you get a good cut of meat and grille it slowly, it needs nothing but a little salt and pepper at the end after it rests for 10 minutes and is plated.

Grill a steak slowly? Never! Hot, hot grill for me. Sear the rib eye or t-bone, whatever you got, until the edges are slightly blackened. Do the other side the same way. If you preheated your grill you will have nice sear marks on both sides. Cook to medium rare. Do Not over cook!

The only marinade I've ever tried was teriyaki sauce. Place the steak in a zip lock with teriyaki for an hour or so prior to firing up your grill. It's pretty good!

Slow cooking is mostly for brisket, chicken, other larger cuts of meat, in my opinion :D

Me too - he asked about marinades, so I started with that.

Here's my favorite steak rub (out of Raichlen's Book, Barbecue Bile Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades:

http://www.cookmarked.com/recipe/Lo...-dKasBHAwXk3i6IOxy9N5igJ0LupSTSiNHmAnxkyG6pAe

If you haven't tried any of Steve Raichlen's books, try "How to Grill" or "BBQ USA" as a starter - it will seriously up your grilling/smoking/bbqing game!
Thanks for the info on the books, going to have Ernestina start hunting for them. She finds alot of books on Half Price Books, photography book I wanted was 30 bucks everyplace I looked, she got it from Half Price for ten bucks..

Grill a steak slowly? Never! Hot, hot grill for me. Sear the rib eye or t-bone, whatever you got, until the edges are slightly blackened. Do the other side the same way. If you preheated your grill you will have nice sear marks on both sides. Cook to medium rare. Do Not over cook!

The only marinade I've ever tried was teriyaki sauce. Place the steak in a zip lock with teriyaki for an hour or so prior to firing up your grill. It's pretty good!

Slow cooking is mostly for brisket, chicken, other larger cuts of meat, in my opinion :D

Yeah, sear it both sides the way you described and then slow cook to medium on low.
Medium rare is too uncooked for me, i don't like it to moo when i cut into it......
Agreed on the Chicken, just wrap it in tinfoil after ''blackening'' the outside then turn it down to finish slowly.
Gawd, this is making me hungry!

-
Back