Steering Column Disassembly

-

73dust340

Reaction score
Ok, I pulled out my steering column so I can take it apart and go over things. I'm going to have it powder coated to match my dash as well. The problem is that I can't seem to get the shaft out of the column. The top part where the steering wheel sits on refuses to come out. I pulled off the snap ring, but it is on there super tight. I was looking through my manual and I think I saw there's a tool to remove it, but I can't for the life of me find it. I have a puller that I used to get the steering wheel off with, but the bolt holes on this thing are tiny. I was thinking of hitting it with PB blaster and leaving it soak, but is that the best way? Is there a tool like I think I saw?

After you take the snap ring out the color and upper bearing should come out. After that you have the steering lock ring. theres a tin cap that needs to be popped off, then you have to remove the C-clip. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

If the bearing is hung up you may try tapping it back wards and looking for burs on the shaft.

If you removed the machine screws holding the upper housing to the middle housing, and the ring clip is off, the only thing holding it together is friction. Use a rubber mallet and tap it side to side at the very top edge. As Adam said, the only contact point that could give you any resistance is the small surface area of the upper shaft bearing. You don't need to use a puller.

Jerry

-
Back