Steering Coulmn Breakage (when pressing in new pin)

-

ironracer1

Gearhead
Reaction score
Question? I took my steering column out to replace the seal at the firewall. To put the new seal on, i had to have the pin that goes in the end of the shaft removed, i went to Jerry Ulm dodge and got the kit for the coupler (with a new pin) I do not have a press so i had a local shop press it out. we put the new seal on, but when the owner pressed the new pin in, it broke part of the column. I had a buddy hit w/ a Mig but it was not a full weld (I had to do some grinding on it to get to were I thought it was ok) The guy at the shop said "If it can't go anywhere, it'll be ok" What do you Pros think? Power steering car....... i have put some miles on it but, I wonder.......It didn't really break the end of the column, just blew out a little bit of it.

The ***-hat w/ the press said that hardened metal can do that (I think he is a closet chebbie punk)

it broke part of the column. .

If you are talking about the steering shaft, then this is VERY disturbing

You are talking about the ONLY thing which keeps your car "on the road."

Without photos we are just guessing. From your description of the damage and welding, I would not move this car ONE INCH without replacing the shaft, or otherwise properly repairing the shaft

First off what kind of car are you working on? If he broke the hardened steel steering
shaft Don't try too fix it get a good donor (re-placement) and fix it right.

To begin with you should have just removed the shaft from the column, but you need to give a better description of what was broken. Was it the shaft or the housing? Even if the shaft were broken near the pin it probably wouldn't have a chance to come apart, but unless I could see where it was broken I wouldn't pass judgement.

you probably should take the column out of the car and show us a picture...do you really trust your car or life on this 'sketchy' part?

I can only guess the shaft cracked at the pin hole. It happens. Material fatigue, surface finish and/or pin diameter, lots of reasons sht happens that dont matter..
Replace the shaft is the proper route. Anything less will shorten the life of the coupling or worse.

It blew out a little bit on one side of the pin hole. I'll try and get a pic uploaded. Thanks for your time guys!

Just remember the other kids, fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters lives you may end may not be your own. It is worth taking a chance? I think you already know the answer or you wouldn't have posted this thread.

-
Back