Steering coupler basic questions

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
I need to remove the power steering gear and I assume I should rebuild the coupler while I"m at it. My plan was to pull the column aft just enough to separate everything. I loosened up the steering column by removing the four bolts on the clamp plate under the dash and loosening the three bolts on the firewall. Then I pulled the steering wheel aft (I think about an inch), and now this is what I see. Should these holes (green arrows) be there? What's the next step?
crz6hYg.jpg

The hole on the left is a drift pin, the hole on the right is an index mark. Drive out the drift pin and the coupler will slide off.

Hit the drift pin out on the left and pry it off the splines with the proper tool. 1/4 drift punch and do,t lose the pin. Then I use a tie rod / small ball joint fork and pry carefully making sure you don't damage the box or seal. You will have to take all the bolts you loosened out and someone holding the column guiding it out. Don't pull hard our you may separate the coupler Just keep moving it back as you take the coupler off the splines. Your welcome Steve

Steering Coupler Rebuild "How To"

Nice write up. Also the FSM does give a measurement on the steering “shaft” engagement into the coupling housing. That’s why the mounts under dash are slotted. Too far in and the shoes will bottom and bind. Too far out and it will pop the seal/retainer and “possibly” let shaft separate from coupler. I don’t have my manual readily available but is worth looking into when you go back together.

Those springs are great. Also if it is stuck to the box, I have used a ball joint fork to get them off gently

Hit the drift pin out on the left and pry it off the splines with the proper tool. 1/4 drift punch and do,t lose the pin. Then I use a tie rod / small ball joint fork and pry carefully making sure you don't damage the box or seal. You will have to take all the bolts you loosened out and someone holding the column guiding it out. Don't pull hard our you may separate the coupler Just keep moving it back as you take the coupler off the splines. Your welcome Steve

Is it a solid pin or a roll pin? Either type of pin you do not use a drift punch (tapered). Use the proper tool and use a pin punch or a roll pin punch.

I've never attempted to rebuild the coupling under the hood. Too much back bending, Too easy to take the column to the workbench.

When reassembling this, The notch on the coupler just left of the roll pin shown in your first pic is also an index mark. is supposed to line up with the index mark on the shaft. This is because the steering box, the coupling, and the steering wheel all have master splines and only go on one way. If you put the coupling back together with the index mark opposite or 180° out from the shaft your steering wheel will be clocked upside down when centered. You cannot pull the steering wheel and rotate it 180° and reinstall it since it also has that master spline too.

Lol, No engine in there. Plenty of room to work if he wants to get "into" it.:D

Slap some fresh grease in the coupler and install one of these while you're at it

1966-1973 MOPAR A B E BODY 3 steering column coupler cover retainer. Stainl... | eBay

Back when I rebuilt my Ramcharger floppy coupler, it took me three failed and frustrating attempts before getting that seal retainer to stay on. After I finally "learned" how to get it to stay on I found out about the spring clip that was available. Anyway the lesson learned has worked for the Barracuda................so far.
upload_2020-3-12_10-1-12.png

Mine is a 1974. Is that spring recommended for 1974 and up couplers?

I don't see why not but if you just look on eBay at that sellers other items, they ought to list them for later models if there is a difference.

OK, now I see the pin is actually there. I didn't realize it's hollow; I guess it's called a roll pin because it's rolled up.
I think this type is commonly called a split pin. It's a very hard tempered steel.

The hole on the left is a drift pin, the hole on the right is an index mark. Drive out the drift pin and the coupler will slide off.
Drive out the pin from the opposite side. That hole is tapered. The coupler also may have the tiny safety pin in the side.

When reassembling this, The notch on the coupler just left of the roll pin shown in your first pic is also an index mark. is supposed to line up with the index mark on the shaft. This is because the steering box, the coupling, and the steering wheel all have master splines and only go on one way. If you put the coupling back together with the index mark opposite or 180° out from the shaft your steering wheel will be clocked upside down when centered. You cannot pull the steering wheel and rotate it 180° and reinstall it since it also has that master spline too.
Hallelujah, someone read the manual.

-
Back