steering gearbox differences

-

moparfan68

Reaction score
The steering gearbox on my buddys 68charger went bad and have an extra one off a 71 duster that i can give him but i would like to know are they all the same between a,b,c,ebody steering gearboxes or are they all different. thanks in advance

Power steering boxes changed to a larger sector shaft in the early 70s. If the shaft diameter and pitman arm splines are the same, it should bolt up, but probably won't feel much different than what he's been living with.
Why doesn't he just give Dick Ross a call at Firm Feel. Using one of his boxes and freshening the rest of the front end up (bushings, ball joints, tie rods, idler arm) will make the thing drive almost like a late model.

We rebuilt the rest of the front end about 5 or 6 years ago but last year was when we finished with the resteration on it. he didnt change the gearbox but when he cranked it up the steering wheel shot to the left. so we disconected the power steering lines so he could hit a few car shows now hes wanting to get it ready for this years shows and cruise ins. his business has been really slow so new firm feel is out of budjet so im trying to help him out again.

The steering gearbox on my buddys 68charger went bad and have an extra one off a 71 duster that i can give him but i would like to know are they all the same between a,b,c,ebody steering gearboxes or are they all different. thanks in advance

The box should work, but the pittman arm will not. You'll need to swap the Charger arm onto the Duster box. The source I checked showed the same box for both applications.

While it was undergoing its "restoration" is it possible you wacked the top of the steering box with something heavy like an engine. There is an adjustment at the top of the chrylser ps box for where the box centers. I haven't done it in years but it is in the fsm. My recollection is you loosen the three bolts on top and tap the control valve left or right.

We rebuilt the rest of the front end about 5 or 6 years ago but last year was when we finished with the resteration on it. he didnt change the gearbox but when he cranked it up the steering wheel shot to the left. so we disconected the power steering lines so he could hit a few car shows now hes wanting to get it ready for this years shows and cruise ins. his business has been really slow so new firm feel is out of budjet so im trying to help him out again.

If the steering wheel shot to the left them you have a bad power steering pump. I had the same thing happen to me on a 65 Polara. I changed the pump and everyuthing was good again.

While it was undergoing its "restoration" is it possible you wacked the top of the steering box with something heavy like an engine. There is an adjustment at the top of the chrylser ps box for where the box centers. I haven't done it in years but it is in the fsm. My recollection is you loosen the three bolts on top and tap the control valve left or right.

I did not know that im goin up later in the week to give him a hand we will give that a try.

If the only problem is the wheel turns to the left when you start the engine, it's the control valve adjustment. Get the front wheels off the ground, loosen the two bolts that hold the control valve assy. to the steering gear. Just loosen them enough so that you can tap the valve forward and backward with a hammer. Any looser than that and it will leak fluid all over the place. Moving the valve will change the amount of pressure to one side or the other. It will take a little trial and error to find the centered spot where it won't pull either way when you start the engine. The total adjustment is only 1/8" or so it doesn't take much movement of the valve to change the flow so don't get carried away. Just a slight movement at a time and recheck.
If the box is junk, you can get one from any '72 and earlier A,B, or E-body cars. From '73-up they're the same as the earlier C-bodies.....big pitman shaft.

-
Back