steering problems

-

texas360

Reaction score
ok I'm having steering issues..

all new tie rod end, new power steering pump, fresh alignment... when driving down the road when steering seems tight, but when you turn left or right it stays turned that direction unless you manually turn it back... also when making turns it does not self align as it should... before box was rebuilt it self aligned no problem just leaked .. i don't understand why this is happening... i mean i can still drive it and just keep hands on wheel but it is for sure irritating to say the least..

Caster affects how easily the steering wheel returns to center. Did the place that did the alignment give you a readout of all the specs? It could also be a problem with the rebuilt steering box.

The link above deals with the wheels turning by themselves with the engine running. That is also something to check since you had the box rebuilt. Start the car with the front wheels off the ground. Do the wheels stay centered or do they move to one side or the other without you touching the wheel?

If you didn't change the front end alignment and it worked fine before you replaced steering components and had the steering gear rebuilt, I would guess something is wrong with the steering gear. Could be something binding in the steering linkage too, so, I'd check that first before pulling the box.

If you didn't change the front end alignment and it worked fine before you replaced steering components and had the steering gear rebuilt, I would guess something is wrong with the steering gear. Could be something binding in the steering linkage too, so, I'd check that first before pulling the box.
can the box be loosened ... it almost seems like its too tight

By symptom, the gearbox is too tight. I would have to look at one of those gear boxes to tell you how to adjust it. I don't know off the top of my head, unless it's similar to a Saginaw, where you loosen the lock nut, turn the stud with a screwdriver and lock it back down.

If the box has a warranty, I'd find out from them first about adjusting it. It might void the warranty.

-
Back