Steering Scares Me

-

Mason Moran

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm starting a 74 duster 225 auto project. The steering, scares me! It pulls right and there is a ton of play in the wheel. It has a power steering pump but it currently isn't belted up. I would like to get that hooked up again, but i think i should fix the play and pull first. What are some common problems that would cause this?

LORDIE!!! First, having the PS non working will introduce a ton of play. There are several things which can cause "pulling" including underinflated tires, misalignment, broken/ bent / worn out parts, and in more extreme cases, such things as the holes wallard out for the lower control arm pivots

You need to fix the power steering first. Then get a second party to wiggle the wheel back and forth as you watch the various linkage for play. Then either do or have an alignment done

I am not sure if the pump in it currently works or why it was disconnected. Any tips on how to get that back on its feet?

I am not sure if the pump in it currently works or why it was disconnected. Any tips on how to get that back on its feet?

Yes. Fix the power steering. How do we know anything beyond that when you have the car THERE and we are not? All you've said is "my power steering doesn't work, how do I fix it?" Isn't that just "a bit" vague?

Yes. Fix the power steering. How do we know anything beyond that when you have the car THERE and we are not? All you've said is "my power steering doesn't work, how do I fix it?" Isn't that just "a bit" vague?
I more of meant, is there a way to know if the pump works without putting it together, and are there any risks associated with hooking it up if it doesn't work?

I more of meant, is there a way to know if the pump works without putting it together, and are there any risks associated with hooking it up if it doesn't work?

Other than hooking it up and trying it, no.

The other option would be to convert it to manual box. But that has a few pitfalls. "You need the right parts." And the steering shaft either needs changed, or add an aftermarket adapter / spacer as the PS column shaft is shorter than a manual one.

To check out the rest of the steering, get a shop manual.
Talking about the linkage that the steering box connects to, not the box.
Chapter 2 Steering and Front Suspension covers the basic checks to make for loose suspension and steering parts.
You can check each of those without the steering box working.
I'd start with wheel bearings, then play in the tie rod ends, pitman and idler.
Then check ball joints.
Those are the main things to start with.
Control arm bushings can be checked later.

Be safe. Wheel chocks, and if going under the car, then jack stands are must.
Wheel bearings just get the wheel off the ground an dwith your hands and 12 & 6 oclock check for how much play.
The tie rods and linkage off the steering gear check with your hands at 3 and 9 o clock, Move one wheel with the other on the ground and look for play at the joints. A second person helps but is not neccessary. Don't go underneath when lifting with just the jack. Just look.

Last edited:
Could have brakes hanging up too, which would lead to pulling in one direction or the other

The main "risk" is having a leak. I'd first rotate the pulley by hand to see if the pump is locked up and/or has a bad bearing. Then start adding some power steering fluid and repeat rotating the pulley while looking for leaks. If it passes those tests, install the correct belt and fire it up. You'll probably hear some noises until enough P/S fluid gets circulated and the air is purged from the system. Rock the steering wheel back and forth about a turn each way to purge the air. Don't run it all the way to the lock. Just keep checking the fluid level and keep it in between the low and full range (cold and hot on some dipsticks). Chances are there is a leak somewhere, or, the pump is bad, or there wouldn't be a need to take the belt off.

I worked on the steering today. I didn't get it to work. How much resistance is supposed to be in the pulley for the power steering because there's next to none in mine. It's super easy to spin.

That's making me think it may be broken but I'm not 100% sure. I did hook it up and put some oil in it and ran it. The power steering didn't return but the oil did disappear, making me think it might work and I just didn't have nearly enough oil in it

They do spin easy.
Pumps are pretty cheap since they were used on Mopars, AMCs, GM products and others.

Wait...Oil ? NOT engine oil, right??
The power steering pump uses specific Power steering FLUID.
It is similar to automatic transmission fluid.

Sorry. Yeah I meant power steering fluid. Ok well I'm definitely feeling that I just didn't put enough in then. It drank my first bottle as soon as I turned it on and I didn't see any leaking so it must just need more

run it at idle and pour it in. It should be about at the bottom/1" up at warm of the fill pipe if its a Mopar/TRW, cant vouch for a Saginaws full level. Turn the wheel every few seconds as it will burp air until its purged. Once that is done, watch the idler and pitman arms when you turn the wheel slightly, they should not deflect any, just move in one arc. also watch the steering box as a unit: it should not move at all. If it does, the mounts are cracked (been there) Finally check the steering wheel play to the coupler. it should offer very little if any play. The manual boxes had a sector screw adjuster on top. Not sure what the power boxes had for adjustments.

It can take awhile, sometimes overnight for the bubbles and foam to die down, so fill it, cycle the steering lock to lock, and then let it sit a bit.

The pump will normally howl and growl a lot when it starts to pump but is still empty / low / foaming

UPDATE: I got the power steering working!
Then I learned that there are leaks on both the pump and the "driver"? Whatever the device that the steering column goes into, that leaks. Fortunately, I found a 73 dodge dart swinger in a junk yard with a v8 in it and has the pump and "driver" in it still. Are they interchangable? Could I take the dart parts and put them in my duster?

If you're talking about the steering gear, yes, a '73 unit will fit your '74.

Then I learned that there are leaks on both the pump and the "driver"? Whatever the device that the steering column goes into, that leaks. Fortunately, I found a 73 dodge dart swinger in a junk yard with a v8 in it and has the pump and "driver" in it still. Are they interchangable? Could I take the dart parts and put them in my duster?

If none of this was connected up with the hoses, keep in mind that some years/ types of hose fittings must have O rings to properly seal. Can you determine where it is leaking? I don't know what 'driver' is. The pump hoses connect directly to the steering box. The control valve for the steering box is mounted onto and is part of the box. Maybe someone had that off and it is leaking there. That is the "bulgy" piece into which the hoses connect

@cudamark thanks and the pump would fit too? Provided I use the mountings on my slant 6
Hard to say on the pump. The pulley will be different for sure, so, it would have to be the same brand of pump to be able to swap them. If they're both a Saginaw pump with bolt-on pulleys, that should be an easy swap. Press-on pulleys are a lot more difficult and require special pullers and possibly pressing capabilities.

@cudamark thanks and the pump would fit too? Provided I use the mountings on my slant 6
Also as 67Dart273 mentioned, there are hose connections to consider. Verify they use the same pressure hose fitting and that the return hose connection is in the correct spot,or, at least close enough to attach the hose and not have it kink or rub on anything

The "driver" part connected to the column is called the steering gearbox.

-
Back