Steering trouble wrong parts

-

82CRUISER

Reaction score
So I got my motto in and buttoned up but the center link runs pan and idler and pitman hit headers. Looked further and UCA have welded plate on them and disc brake spindles and LBJ look odd. Can somebody snap some pics of their 72 a body so that I can make sure someone didn't put the wrong linkage on. I too will get pics

It would be helpful if you show us what you have. Since 72 is not spool mount you may have motor mount troubles, IE wrong biscuits etc. What headers?

So far as "wrong linkage"

The "wrong linkage" won't even bolt up, the trick is this:

The steering box whether large or small spline determines which pitman arm you use

The pitman, idler, and center link must all "go together." Example, my 67 has had both early and late linkage, as I'm now running a later K member. But I COULD be running "early" linkage if I had a small spline steering box, which I DID have.

To put this another way, the early / late linkage has nothing to do with the year of the car. It is determined by whether you have a large or small spline steering box.

Here read this

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=236925

Pitman

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 174
Idler

Attachments

• image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 157
OK look at the diagrams I posted above. Assuming that is an A body pitman, when installed, that stud will point up. That makes it an "early" up through 72

attachment.php

Make sure the center link is not reversed left side to right. Other than that either you have the incorrect pan, or bad motor mount situation.

What is the pan supposed to be off of, and has this engine ever been in that body?

Center

Attachments

• image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 151
Hooker super comps. Small block Plymouth always. New motor mounts. What pucks u speak off

It would be helpful if you show us what you have. Since 72 is not spool mount you may have motor mount troubles, IE wrong biscuits etc. What headers?

So far as "wrong linkage"

The "wrong linkage" won't even bolt up, the trick is this:

The steering box whether large or small spline determines which pitman arm you use

The pitman, idler, and center link must all "go together." Example, my 67 has had both early and late linkage, as I'm now running a later K member. But I COULD be running "early" linkage if I had a small spline steering box, which I DID have.

To put this another way, the early / late linkage has nothing to do with the year of the car. It is determined by whether you have a large or small spline steering box.

Here read this

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=236925

What biscuits are you speaking of?

Wrong motor mount rubbers, or old ones collapsed. Before I changed mine to spool K, I tried to use later model van / truck motor mounts.......not the engine brackets, the rubber mounts. They were way too thick.

I assume this all happens at or near full lock. Full-loc is determined by a little raised casting bump on the OEM BJs ,stopping on a corresponding tab formed on the OEM LCAs.
If you dont have OEM parts or the oem parts have been modified, you will/may have to make your own stops. If the front end is at full-droop, the stops may not line up.
To get some clearance for my TTIs, I had to position the studs on the pitman/idler just right, torque em up with loc-tite,and shave the stud/nut just right, plus install 1/4 inch spacers between the biscuits and the motor mounts. And I still had to dimple my brand new headers.
I also had to drop the idler arm by slotting out the K.Then I had to fix the bump-steer.
Aint hot-rodding fun?

Got it fixed. Ground the link and put shims on mounts

-
Back