Steve Dulcich on building a budget 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
From my experience, the reason people consider putting 360 heads on a 318 is...

...wait for it...

...because they are available.

Lots of reasons for that. Perhaps a 360 blew up, or had other internal issues and the owner decided to sell the heads.
That's just one.

So, again, the elephant in the room (or hyrax* as it were) is-

What if I have good running, driving 318, and I don't intend to tear it down and have machine work done?

* apparently the Hyrax is the closest living, non aquatic relative of the elephant!

1708698659247.png

I see a potential drag car name.

Just curious.. why do these 318 hatred threads even exist? Makes no sense at all..

Thats the point there is no new cheap way to build a performance 318.
There’s no way to build anything cheap!
This recipe here is it now you can add your own spice to it and see what ya get but...I know people cite the Vizard build but let me point out that engine isn't assembled ran on a dyno or proven yet I wouldn't get too excited over it and even if is a success no 318 guy will spend the money to repeat it in the future it won't be a budget friendly recipe.

That D Vizard mission impossible build is now far removed from the original idea UT had in doing the project. Since they removed themselves from the original plan, freeing themselves up for upgraded parts, it has become more like any other build except there limiting themselves to parts that really no one would reuse in any type of power attempt.

One of the things that is troublesome is the extra machining work done by themselves that 99% of the average guys would not do or attempt like the connecting rod work.

Also getting free pistons from other companies to achieve there goal is a cost savings at a huge level. I would have liked if they simply had purchased off the shelf pistons for this like the forged KB domed 318 slugs.

This is no longer an affordable build.

From my experience, the reason people consider putting 360 heads on a 318 is...

...wait for it...

...because they are available.

Lots of reasons for that. Perhaps a 360 blew up, or had other internal issues and the owner decided to sell the heads.
That's just one.

Like any engine, upgrading parts cost money. How cheap or expensive is the owners call. I laugh at the prior post of why not just get the whole 360 engine because the build is the challenge of small cubic inches. Not just to simply run to the bigger engine. A thing that is missed.

Let's also take that vid for what it is- a teaser to get people to watch their other content.

That said, it does offer a good point that could be missed by the average Joe- identify the weaknesses and address them first.

Let's also take that vid for what it is- a teaser to get people to watch their other content.

That said, it does offer a good point that could be missed by the average Joe- identify the weaknesses and address them first.

don't use factory heads?

Uh, again if you can pony up a couple grand for heads...why not just get a running 5.9 and the associated 100 HP bump partially on account of the heads that come on that.

don't use factory heads?
I say, use them if you want BUt…. The aftermarket support is still OK with a small verity, but one that covers us pretty good for what ever target goal your after. If you need to use a OEM head for some reason, like the FAST class, then your pigeon holes into using that head. Otherwise, the list of to fast heads is well know and out there for what ever your looking to do.

Uh, again if you can pony up a couple grand for heads...why not just get a running 5.9 and the associated 100 HP bump partially on account of the heads that come on that.
On that same line of thinking…. Why a 360 when a 440 is everything you just said? It seems hypocritical to a degree don’t you think?

Again, guys hoping up a 318 are doing it for 1 or several reasons.
Perhaps it’s the challenge of trying to make power and go fast with only a 318? Budget is thin? There just simply working with what they got? Space/room is limited.

Certainly the good lord has blessed me with incoming space and the funds to do it with. Others are not so well blessed. Living on the edge of the country with big properties is where I’m at and those living closer to the cities may not have much space at all.

I was born and had a short raising in New York City where I could jump from my roof top onto my neighbors roof top with a running start since the distance was barely a car wide. For real, a big car like an Imperial might be scrapping the house walls going down the driveway. Now I’m on 1.1 acres with plenty of garage room.

In coming, not yet finished car hotel for my toy car building pleasure.

IMG_1792.jpeg

IMG_1739.jpeg

IMG_1738.jpeg

Afforable???? Only way is to find the guy that spent his $$ on his engine, and sells you his engine CHEAP!!!!!!!!! Always has been, always will be!!

Agree! When I built my 318 20 years ago, I was going to run a set of J heads. An old timer mechanic who worked next to me walked up and just casually said " don't do that you'll blowvyour CR right out of the water... I listened ran the 318 heads and the car ran fine but, it was a 150 horse LA 318 with a mild cam, 600 Holley and headers, I think the only thing it did better than a stock engine was drink gas. But keep in mind it was a true budget build , a set of gaskets clean and hone things put it together heads or block wasn't milled etc.

Agree! When I built my 318 20 years ago, I was going to run a set of J heads. An old timer mechanic who worked next to me walked up and just casually said " don't do that you'll blowvyour CR right out of the water... I listened ran the 318 heads and the car ran fine but, it was a 150 horse LA 318 with a mild cam, 600 Holley and headers, I think the only thing it did better than a stock engine was drink gas. But keep in mind it was a true budget build , a set of gaskets clean and hone things put it together heads or block wasn't milled etc.
I bet you still had fun doing it though!

Afforable???? Only way is to find the guy that spent his $$ on his engine, and sells you his engine CHEAP!!!!!!!!! Always has been, always will be!!
I totally agree especially in 2024 anything that has " cheap" or "budget" when it comes to cars is most likely not these days..

I think that word alone is a funny variable. “Budget” is such a loose term.

I think that word alone is a funny variable. “Budget” is such a loose term.

Like when motortrend does a "Budget" build which includes a $3k gearstar trans... $3k gearvendors OD... $5k rear end/suspension.. brand new "Budget" blueprint motor..

Budget means different things to different people :)

Well, the 5.9 might have slightly less fitment issues than an RB in an A body.

...and as long as we're going down that road...might was well "just" buy a new Hellcat, right?

Like when motortrend does a "Budget" build which includes a $3k gearstar trans... $3k gearvendors OD... $5k rear end/suspension.. brand new "Budget" blueprint motor..

...and another 4K of parts they had "lying around" from another build.

LMAO! Correct! Those prices are beyond my budget. Yea I could afford them but why? IMO, when I see these shows, those expensive parts are not needed or mandatory. There eye candy. A WOW! Factor.

Well, the 5.9 might have slightly less fitment issues than an RB in an A body.
Having done a B block 400/727 into a ‘72 Duster, IMO, it wasn’t that bad at all. IDK on the 440.
...and as long as we're going down that road...might was well "just" buy a new Hellcat, right?

LMAO! RIGHT! So… where does it end?

@YY1 Thats the whole thing with people. IMO, many have a narrow view and perspective. While I fully endorse using the bigger engine, it’s not always possible or desired.

Here is my question!

With many saying and pushing to go for the bigger engine while often making rude and disparaging remark, ….

“What is the problem with just simply helping a member out in answering there question and helping them in there pursuit?”

It seems to me that the suggestion of going with a bigger engine is a fine and smart choice but a choice that may not be in the other persons ability to do. When this is (possibly) the case, others rag and belittle there cause.

Why?

@YY1 Thats the whole thing with people. IMO, many have a narrow view and perspective. While I fully endorse using the bigger engine, it’s not always possible or desired.

Here is my question!

With many saying and pushing to go for the bigger engine while often making rude and disparaging remark, ….

“What is the problem with just simply helping a member out in answering there question and helping them in there pursuit?”

It seems to me that the suggestion of going with a bigger engine is a fine and smart choice but a choice that may not be in the other persons ability to do. When this is (possibly) the case, others rag and belittle there cause.

Why?

applause gif.gif

Been reading and watching Steve D for years.. Hard to believe a man on a budget that has so many sponsors and things at his disposal given to him.

I’ve seen no body YouTubers make phone calls stating there doing a build (usually a charitable cause build) and get free parts with only the promise of advertising the parts as part of the deal.

I've thrown many a magazine across the restroom in disgust when reading a "budget" build article, when I got to the part about "we had this cam and this differential laying around, so they were basically free".

Well, out the window, then...

I’ve seen no body YouTubers make phone calls stating there doing a build (usually a charitable cause build) and get free parts with only the promise of advertising the parts as part of the deal.
Yeah.. one guy i follow (actually good youtube channel and a good guy doing **** right) got sent thousands in parts and has less than 10k followers (at the time) it's like... damn i need to start a channel :) "Hello, Ray Barton..... i can get you 5000 views for the low cost of a 572!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back