Steve Dulcich on building a budget 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartswinger70

Reaction score
This is the basic recipe doesn't get any more simpler. Note he cites "360 heads" (why not just get the whole engine?)

Watch the whole thing if you haven't seen it before the basic theory of it doesn't get any simpler and it hasn't changed in years to stray from this is going down a rabbit hole.

Don't discredit Dulcich I know his credentials before you tray and say he's full of it read up on him...enjoy!:thumbsup:

318 because lots more were built and most have forged cranks. 360 heads because they were used on 340's too with 1.88 valves, so also plentiful too and you don't have to worry about valve shrouding with core shift and 2.02 valves. Dulcich knows way more about building these things cheaply and quickly than anyone else...

We know him from mopar muscle..
His notoriety came from the 340 mad scientist articles that were recycled through other publications.
He already had done much before that one.. but its safe to say that was the more known appearance of autistic Steve.

He done at least 3 different 400 hp 318 builds basically 225-245 cams, 9.7-10.5:1 cr, airgap headers, one with magnum heads one with ported 302 heads with 2.02 and one with older EQ then ported them out for 425 hp and and one just added xe262h cam and 4bbl and headers on stock low cr 318 for 282 hp.

This is the basic recipe doesn't get any more simpler. Note he cites "360 heads" (why not just get the whole engine?)
Because heads are cheaper and the focus is a 318 & what can be done. Duh!
Watch the whole thing if you haven't seen it before the basic theory of it doesn't get any simpler and it hasn't changed in years to stray from this is going down a rabbit hole.

Don't discredit Dulcich I know his credentials before you tray and say he's full of it read up on him...enjoy!:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I guess, nothing new here, about as basic as it gets and repeated for the last 40 years.

His show is one of the only car shows I can stand to watch on Motor Trend

Last edited:
Only 45 seconds in but already I see the most expensive "upgrade" he's installed are those DC valve covers.

OK, at 1:55 he doesn't clarify 150 NET HP vs 230 GROSS rating, but instead plays it like it's a huge difference.

C'mon, man.

I'm gonna call a .480 lift cam pretty big for a "cheap" 318 build.

I ran the Mopar 284/484 in my 9.5:1 383. and was told I should have used the next smaller by almost everyone.
(which would have been the 280/480, IIRC)

Per the recent (highly contested) cheap 318 build thread-

I'd love to see a "running engine" upgrade without machine work like decking the block or replacing pistons.

Steve has credentials... but UTG has the same plus famously was on a top fuel pit crew... I mean come on.... who has more youtube subs???

P.S. i can't stand UTG but this is just fun :) I also don't get why anyone would praise steves shifting when all he does is blow up trans non stop it seems..

I'm gonna call a .480 lift cam pretty big for a "cheap" 318 build.

I ran the Mopar 284/484 in my 9.5:1 383. and was told I should have used the next smaller by almost everyone.
(which would have been the 280/480, IIRC)
Sound like he was describing the comp xe268h cam wouldn't be a bad 318 cam with stall and gears.

OK, at 1:55 he doesn't clarify 150 NET HP vs 230 GROSS rating, but instead plays it like it's a huge difference.

C'mon, man.
It didn't come off that way to me, he say 230 was way over rated. There ain't much difference between 318 over the years on a dyno they should be similar, a low cr 2bbl 318 with headers no accessories dyno 189 hp.

It's been said before probably a million times--Just get a 360. Building a 360 is an investment with great R.O.I. Bandaiding (not building) a 318 is throwing good money after bad IMO.

If its science experiments your into just follow the Mission Impossible 318 build and enjoy some popcorn in the comfort of your living room--or wherever you access YT. J.Rob

I suspect he has dental work maybe implants? He's older than he looks mid s or maybe even 60.
What’s better him actually shifting or his facial expression when he is shifting.
Looks like one of my chickens laying an egg. lol!

It's been said before probably a million times--Just get a 360. Building a 360 is an investment with great R.O.I. Bandaiding (not building) a 318 is throwing good money after bad IMO.

If its science experiments your into just follow the Mission Impossible 318 build and enjoy some popcorn in the comfort of your living room--or wherever you access YT. J.Rob
Well remember, 318 guys are always citing " budget" I figure if I need the 360 heads why not look for a whole engine....? I do realize the value of a closed chamber aftermarket aluminum head though on the 318 . I personally would not grind and port a 318 cast iron head unless I could flow test it get numbers and match a cam and that sounds like more money thus killing the budget ...the problem with home head porters is it's for bragging rights no one proves if there are actual gains.

Probably right on the age. 57 - 60, seems about right.

Per the recent (highly contested) cheap 318 build thread-

I'd love to see a "running engine" upgrade without machine work like decking the block or replacing pistons.
Machine work is a budget killer these days. There really is no way to do any of this cheap if people cringe at 500- 1000- 2000 dollars here and there they have to get used to it it's just numbers. If you want the good parts. It adds up.

I guess, nothing new here, about as basic as it gets and repeated for the last 40 years.
Thats the point there is no new cheap way to build a performance 318. This recipe here is it now you can add your own spice to it and see what ya get but...I know people cite the Vizard build but let me point out that engine isn't assembled ran on a dyno or proven yet I wouldn't get too excited over it and even if is a success no 318 guy will spend the money to repeat it in the future it won't be a budget friendly recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back