Stock 340 Rebuild

-

4spd340Swinger

Reaction score
I have a 1969 340 in my Dart that I am going to pull to freshen up. Runs fine but I don't know the history of the engine . Other than getting an equivalent 68 340 4-speed cam, I will be going back stock. Where would you recommend to source parts. Mancini? Thanks for all your input.

I have a 1969 340 in my Dart that I am going to pull to freshen up. Runs fine but I don't know the history of the engine . Other than getting an equivalent 68 340 4-speed cam, I will be going back stock. Where would you recommend to source parts. Mancini? Thanks for all your input.
I've dealt with Mancini and their service is excellent!

I will be watching this, i plan on doing a stock rebuild of my 69 340 with that same cam, i will also be useing a LD340 intake also.. I hope parts are available....Rich

I'm in the midst of a stock 340 build right now. My Mancini parts arrived today. I like them for engine parts as they have a wide selection and one stop shopping is important to me. I do buy some name brand stuff local if it is stocked because it is cheaper with no shipping. I bought the '68 repro 4 speed cam from Oregon cam with lifters for under $200 USD with no core supplied.

Summit Racing
Order it all at the same time and get free freight. Their customer service is second to none.

I would pay attention to the weight of the piston you put in there. Stock 340s have extremely heavy pistons from the factory. A lot of aftermarket pistons are lighter. Lighter pistons will relieve stress on rods crank and give a faster rev'ing quicker car.

Flat top hypers, pictured below, the clay clearance with ProMaxx (Edelbrock) heads and no gasket, plenty of room.
There is a portion raised approximately.060. The outside circumference is at zero deck.
PLYMOUTH KB KB243.030 Keith Black KB Performance Pistons | Summit Racing

FAC056E0-9BCB-498C-A41A-20645E8086DF.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm in the midst of a stock 340 build right now. My Mancini parts arrived today. I like them for engine parts as they have a wide selection and one stop shopping is important to me. I do buy some name brand stuff local if it is stocked because it is cheaper with no shipping. I bought the '68 repro 4 speed cam from Oregon cam with lifters for under $200 USD with no core supplied.
I think they are who I am going to get my cam from also.

I just reused the 0.040 over Silvolites because this is supposed to be a low buck stock build (hahaha). Mill the heads and replace the valves with nail head valves and I should get around 10:1. I saved on pistons and rebalancing... got to draw the line somewhere. I still spent $2k at the machine ship with cleaning, honing, cam bearings, rings, bearings, crank grind and rod resize. If you are going a little deeper I would do the KB243 pistons (as mentioned) and rebalance (and get aluminum heads) ..... there I just spent $4k more for you. :)

I would also recommend FelPro Performance head gaskets that are .039" thick. The standard FelPro head gaskets are .054' thick. So I would pay attention to head gasket thickness too....

-
Back