stop coolant gooing to the heater core

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Now that it is getting very warm out,when cruising even with the heater controls off there is still a lot of heat coming from the heater core in side the car ya too hot for me.In the past I have removed the heater hose's for the core and joined them so no flow to the car hence cooler cabin.I would like to keep things looking correct,so my Q is is there a mod we could do to stop flow to the core with out joining the 2 hoses together.

Early, low coffee, idea,
Remove hose nipples from the engine, tap insides for a threaded plugs.

..i had that problem with my Dart Don and was told to replace the "blend air" gasket.

sounds like the cables for the heater controls may need adjusting, or as mentioned the gasket for the blend door

All new gaskets when the box was out will look again to see if the cables need adjusting.

Tap the hose inlet and outlet nipples on the engine, then use a pipe plug with allen type head, then replace hoses.

Don't do all that!! Just find ANYTHING the same size as the hose, IE cut off and round off a piece of bolt, etc, and stuff in one end of one hose.

Here in the southwest it was common to add the valve from a D200 pickup to the heater circuit. A ten buck fix for summer.

A/C equipped cars should have a vacuum operated valve to shut the water off to the core.

The D200 part came on pickups from 1966 to 1980. The AC Delco part number is 15-5377

B.

Oh...Homeboy engineering trick #1 loop one heater hose from the engine right back to the engine
Homeboy engineering trick #2 get a hose bib from hardware store and install inline with one of the heater hoses
we want pic's of whatever you do so we can grade you on it :)

I just plugged one of the hoses also, since some of these cars don't have a valve.
A big marble or ball bearing works good for simplicity and still looks original.

What about a 5/8"(I think) shut off valve with the handle pointing down so it's not as noticeable and install it on the inlet side so you can just turn it closed thru the summer?

Oh...Homeboy engineering trick #1 loop one heater hose from the engine right back to the engine
Homeboy engineering trick #2 get a hose bib from hardware store and install inline with one of the heater hoses
we want pic's of whatever you do so we can grade you on it :)

Ok will do.

uh............. there is none.
My 69 Dart w/ factory AC had a hot water control valve, vacuum operated. It seems everyone is guessing about the OP's car since he didn't relate the model year or if factory AC. That always helps when posting a question.

In my early A's, I plan to add AC and may add a hot water valve. No great need since they will have a separate air box for AC, so little air flow thru the heater core, but would still help. I recall that my 69 valve just blocked the flow, but I recall photos of others with more hoses that I assume switched to bypass mode. Does anybody know?

69 dart no air sorry ya right Bill,i just expect everyone to know me car now been here like 7 yearssssss

Bill:

The bypass type valve showed up on later vehicles where the thermostat has two valve seats. On those setups, the heater is the bypass circuit, and needs to keep flowing in the summer months.

For the mopars with the big bypass hose you can just shut the water off to the heater core.

I guess the OP is driving a 100 point show car. I posted the part number for a mopar OEM manual coolant shutoff valve that was a regional dealer install item in the 60's & 70's. I would rather install that valve once & leave my coolant system closed up than pull a hose twice a year to jam a foreign object in the line.

B.

It's not foriegn, it was made right here in the USA! :D

He did say that he wanted to still look correct though.

Bill:

The bypass type valve showed up on later vehicles where the thermostat has two valve seats. On those setups, the heater is the bypass circuit, and needs to keep flowing in the summer months.

For the mopars with the big bypass hose you can just shut the water off to the heater core.

I guess the OP is driving a 100 point show car. I posted the part number for a mopar OEM manual coolant shutoff valve that was a regional dealer install item in the 60's & 70's. I would rather install that valve once & leave my coolant system closed up than pull a hose twice a year to jam a foreign object in the line.

B.

any pic of that said valve and were does it fit in?,and no not a 100 point car maybe 69 lol.

any chace you will try to fix it right?? not that hard to do......Just sayin....

-
Back