Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I have a bump switch that is a pushbutton, works great just run the battery down and it turns slow. Just a thought.

That is actually to fast for this purpose. I have one I've been using to start the engine from under the hood. The line up is so critical, it must be done by hand

The problem I have found is it takes a long time to fill the rocker shaft with oil, the way Ma designed the oiling. We need to be sure we get oil out both sides when priming. ALL along the shaft not just the rear.

The problem I have found is it takes a long time to fill the rocker shaft with oil, the way Ma designed the oiling. We need to be sure we get oil out both sides when priming. ALL along the shaft not just the rear.

Yup, Apparently didn't get all the way forward. Despite using high quality assembly lube on all of it

Figure I just got a cb from a member and I forgot I put a low bid on one on e bay and won it also! 7.26 and free shipping!

So Mitch what do you think might be wrong?

I just think that the left side is oiling ok, but didn't get full oil untill too late. I will know before days end, after my young strong guy gets here to turn it over while I check both oiling locations. I know the #4 cam brg is in correct as I always check behind the machinist. I definitely saw this one

it sure should have -so, is there anything to this statement? seems like total poppy-**** to me..
Machine shop told me never prime the motor as you just washed off all the assembly lube which stays in place better if the motor doesn't start right away.

What I mean is, The lube SHOULD have sufficed until it got all oil

I was just really looking at the oil flow in that diagram and it is kind of stupid the way it flows, right side oil passage, around the back to fill the left then up to the left rocker last!

Attachments

• 2013-02-07%2022_28_02%20(Large).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 103
it sure should have -so, is there anything to this statement? seems like total poppy-**** to me..
Machine shop told me never prime the motor as you just washed off all the assembly lube which stays in place better if the motor doesn't start right away.

I just saw that post and never had a problem with it. Wonder which lube they are talking about brand wise.

I will say I have put together engines without priming, with great success. Some engines you cant prime. But if able to be primed I prime.

I actually wonder what type of pressure drop there is to the left rocker shaft?

I was just really looking at the oil flow in that diagram and it is kind of stupid the way it flows, right side oil passage, around the back to fill the left then up to the left rocker last!

I didn't realize big blocks oiled both sides from the same bearing. SB oil one bank fron #4 cam bearing and the other from #2 (I think). The IH engine in my Scout oils like a small block. Took quite a while to prime it completely.

Should be no pressure drop at all after the shaft is full. I'm sittin out here now , online while I should be working on this issue. See you all later. I'll report back later !!!

I dont think there would be a pressure drop, just a volume issue. Pressure needs restrictions to build, it will only build up to the point of least restriction. One bad bearing drops pressure everywhere. But flow is still there. Those rockers have a lot of restriction. So everything being good, good pressure should be there, but takes time to fill up because of the tight clearance.

Should be no pressure drop at all after the shaft is full. I'm sittin out here now , online while I should be working on this issue. See you all later. I'll report back later !!!

Very interested to see how this turns out.

Well I'll just say, if Arlo Guthrie is coming to a town near you, you won't regret going.

I knew he was a seasoned performer, but didn't realize how good he is on guitar and harmonica. His stories flowed, he kept your attention, there were no lulls or glitches. Alice's restaurant didn't even seem long. He was funny too! His daughter opened, she was gentle yet impressive, even singing one song a capella. I'd go back tonight and watch the show again if I could! Hmmm...

Every coffee shop has some crazy characters...well guys I'm driving 2.5 hrs to see Arlo Guthrie again tonight, found a single front row balcony seat in the historic Newberry Opera House. Never been to that small town in SC, I'm off tonight so why stay home and wish I'd went?

-
Back