Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
@Mattax ,I always enjoy your posts, so well thought out and concise. Thanks...
Thanks Tim!
upload_2019-9-9_21-8-53.png

That means alot!
As you know, it takes more time to write something concise and check things.
Sorry I haven't been on here as much.

Just got back home. Miss me?? :thumbsup:
I would have if I had been checking in here more.
Thing weighs over 20K lbs. Ball mount! Freakin guys who built it only tacked welded on the spring hangers, guess what? One came loose and almost sent me into the center divide! Definitely an O **** moment!!!

Had to replace one trailer tire and have the axle re-positioned and re welded. Could have been a disaster. Lost my truck and his trailer real easy...
Geez you got lots of luck Tim, both good and bad. Glad they balanced in your favor!

The renting of my brush cutter (Billy Goat) went sideways yesterday when I ran over an underground bees nest. I was getting stung pretty bad and worse yet my two dogs were too so had to leave it running down the hill. Was able to back my truck down the hill but couldn't get out to shut it down. Waited till nightfall, dressed up like I didn't want to get stung more and with neighbors help got it fueled and up the hill (he got stung).

View attachment 1715391884

View attachment 1715391885

View attachment 1715391886

View attachment 1715391887
Ya can’t make this stuff up!

H4 Asymmetrical Headlight Lens (65-86)

If you click on the small pics, there are 3 thumbnails, you can see how the glass look like.

Bill
Several decent H4 lamp options.
Hella "Vision Plus" 7" round lamp. These can be aimed with the mechanical aimer like any standard US car lamp until the 90s.
Cibie 7" H4 lamp (left hand drive). Either buy in EU via any of your personal connections or through one of the few US sellers.
1. Daniel Stern
2. Headlight Services - Headlamps
Bosche made a 7" round for LHD that was supposed to be decent. Don't know if its still available in the USA.
If you find a cheap copy, its probably just that. I find searching Candlepower Forums for headlight info usually turns up some solid information.
If you are considering a different Hella lamp, the motorcycle approved ones sold here have too much beam seperation between hi/lo for most situations. That particular one is not so good for our cars.

For bulbs, the better manufacturers have versions that produce more light, same power draw, at the expense of shorter life.
These are labelled +15, +30, +50 The Narva's I have were called Rangepower but they now have a new name.

Last edited:
Well dang, you really can't judge a book by its cover.

The fenders I thought were full of bondo and crap, turned out to be pretty good metal.

4 coats of paint and horrible looking paint at that didn't help but without all that..... not bad

20190909_203950.jpg

I really like the electric sander better than the air DA. NO loudass compressor.

My hands are tingly just like the air DA

20190909_204004.jpg

Well dang, you really can't judge a book by its cover.

The fenders I thought were full of bondo and crap, turned out to be pretty good metal.

4 coats of paint and horrible looking paint at that didn't help but without all that..... not bad

View attachment 1715392097
If much more that a skim coat, should have seen repairs from the inside...

Hella "Vision Plus" 7" round lamp. These can be aimed with the mechanical aimer like any standard US car lamp until the 90s.
Cibie 7" H4 lamp (left hand drive). Either buy in EU via any of your personal connections or through one of the few US sellers.
1. Daniel Stern
Bosche made a 7" round for LHD that was supposed to be decent. Don't know if its still available in the USA.
If you find a cheap copy, its probably just that. I find searching Candlepower Forums for headlight info usually turns up some solid information.
If you are considering a different Hella lamp, the motorcycle approved ones sold here have too much beam seperation between hi/lo for most situations. That particular one is not so good for our cars.

For bulbs, the better manufacturers have versions that produce more light, same power draw, at the expense of shorter life.
These are labelled +15, +30, +50 The Narva's I have were called Rangepower but they now have a new name.
That’s not a bad price on those Hellas! Expected to see them cost way more

1. Daniel Stern

Well, these are the ones I am looking for:

Hella 002395801 7" Round E-Code (ECE) H4 Conversion Headlight Kit

The only thing I am not sure of is the H4 bulbs themselves. It does not say what kind it is, if it is 60/55 watts, og 100/90 I think some are. It is the 60/55 watt I am looking for. The headlamp switch hold, just barely, but no trailer towing at the same time. I plan to get a set of relays and mount under the battery tray, that way they are out of the way.
The bulb socket for a regular sealed beam and the H4 are the same.
On all my American cars in Norway I have done this conversion, and it is like night and day.

Bill

I can not figure out right hand and left hand drive. Is it talking about what side of the road we drive, or is what side of the car the steering wheel is ?

Bill

Well, these are the ones I am looking for:

The only thing I am not sure of is the H4 bulbs themselves. It does not say what kind it is, if it is 60/55 watts, og 100/90 I think some are. It is the 60/55 watt I am looking for. The headlamp switch hold, just barely, but no trailer towing at the same time. I plan to get a set of relays and mount under the battery tray, that way they are out of the way.
The bulb socket for a regular sealed beam and the H4 are the same.
On all my American cars in Norway I have done this conversion, and it is like night and day.

Bill

Check out Quadratec or another Jeep outfitter they have high perf lamps.

By the way, the Hella lamps is found both for 7 and 5 3/4 inch lamps, and the H4 bulb fits both, same type of bulb, same socket.

Bill

It would make so much sense if the whole world standardized on RH driving.

LH driving was a dumbass british idea so their dominate hand is free to hold their tea, while awkwardly shifting gears with their non dominate hand. All the british colonies followed that idiocy.

There is a difference in the glasses for 5 3/4 lamps, look at these from Summit. Look at the lamp from the side, how the glass is. It does not look like the original sealed beam lamps. I used to have these for the upper lamps for my '65 Galaxie, the high beams and low beams. And regular sealed beam halogen for the lower ones, which was only high beams.

Hella Vision Plus Conversion Headlights 002850001

These are not ECE lamps, but the picture shows how the glass looks like from the side.

The next link is for the same 5 3/4 lamp, ECE approved,

Hella Vision Plus Headlamps 002850811

Then, the 7 inch, they have a look more like the original sealed beam ones,

I don't really know the reason for the glass on the 5 3/4" lamp being moved more forward. But, I wonder if it is to give the glass a certain distance to the bulb / filament for the glass to properly adjust the light pattern.

It is also possible to find these in big and small rectangular sealed beam conversions. And the same H4 bulb fits in those too.

Bill

It would make so much sense if the whole world standardized on RH driving.

LH driving was a dumbass british idea so their dominate hand is free to hold their tea, while awkwardly shifting gears with their non dominate hand. All the british colonies followed that idiocy.

It would be easier, I agree about that. But, all countries was riding / driving on the left side in the beginning. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with the English tea, :D. It has to do with people normally being right handed, so they used the sword in the right hand, and then it was more convenient to ride on the left side of the road so they could fight with the right hand...

In the beginning of cars Norway had the steering wheel on the left side, and was also driving on the left side. The idea was that it was more convenient to sit on the left side of the car so they could see on the edge of the road and better place the car as close to the edge as possible in case they met someone. I don't know when Norway changed to driving on the right side of the road.
Sweden was late at changing, and Norwegians have teased them for that, but since Norway have a stupid clock, we got teased back.

Baklanges-klocka-1.jpg

It would be easier, I agree about that. But, all countries was riding / driving on the left side in the beginning. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with the English tea, :D. It has to do with people normally being right handed, so they used the sword in the right hand, and then it was more convenient to ride on the left side of the road so they could fight with the right hand...

In the beginning of cars Norway had the steering wheel on the left side, and was also driving on the left side. The idea was that it was more convenient to sit on the left side of the car so they could see on the edge of the road and better place the car as close to the edge as possible in case they met someone. I don't know when Norway changed to driving on the right side of the road.
Sweden was late at changing, and Norwegians have teased them for that, but since Norway have a stupid clock, we got teased back.

View attachment 1715392123
They really use those clocks? Saw one in a bar somewhere..

-
Back