Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
So, the pin in the Middle just holds the white housing to the metal frame. The white housing has the pins cast into it which are then soldered to the circuit board after it is dropped in place.

C8BC6D6F-212A-4FB1-BEE6-992189699A14.jpeg

BD1699C6-0D42-4ABA-A27F-B132CC08BDB2.jpeg

I wouldn't trust that one. AC Delco plays this game where they sell stuff as if its the OEM productions stuff when its not.
Bought one of their alternators last year. GM p/n and all that but it sure as hell never went through the GM supply chain, cause the components inside never would have been accepted. Junk. Production QC would have failed it in two places. The first before before they even assembled it - maybe even before the parts arrived in the plant. Every supplier down the chain needs to meet the same standards so they can be sure statistically that when assembled, they know it will work. Even 1 failure in a 100,000 is headache when it comes to a new car.

Sorry about the long paragraph. Hope it makes sense.
Bottom line is AC Delco may or may not still supply GM some parts, but if so, its not what they're retailing.

Well this is making me feel holly jolly about the Christmas season coming..

I can faintly smell the Thanksgiving Turkey already.......

20191028_164139.jpg

@Ddaddy
You want t o start a thread under electrical?
Kit, del and some others might like to see and have more insights.

I sent him a dozen!
19NJTURKEYS1-articleLarge.jpg

Cops were kind of busy that night responding to gunfire! Classic, going to suck when he gets me back though....

Ok, I got the board out. Getting it free from the epoxy goo is going to take a while...kinda like an archeological dig!

6B017B8E-950F-4624-97B0-4C0B1245F8BA.jpeg

22745031-A7A8-41F8-8D10-C6C75CA910BB.jpeg

Lol. I don’t recall trying to clean it off the components. I think I spent about 10-15 minutes on the whole process.
It’s the scientist/engineer in me. I want to know all about it and how it was put together...:D

Here for example. It seems a sandy epoxy layer was added into the case first followed by a rubber RTV type layer to finish the encasement of the board. Not sure it was a good choice since silica based substrate acts as an insulator rather than dissapating heat effectively. The local temps around the board components must have gotten pretty high. No wonder it burned out.

Seems like they chose manufacturability ease over longevity. This approach makes manufacturing easy...but life span is sacrificed. They would have done better with a quality heat sink material to conduct the heat to the case. Instead, the RTV type material is encasing the upper part of the components like a silicone oven mitt and the layer under it can’t extract the heat well anyway.

43C502FD-1C84-43F2-BC75-D20E0B6CC5FA.jpeg

Nice Job!
There were some threads - maybe moparts - where people were discussing replacement transistors.
Nacho tried what he could get down in Argentina - worked for a while IIRC.
Can you post over in Electrical?

I agree there's definately a market.
The challenge with selling 'em is reliability. Need a really good HEI unit. Even 1 failure in 100 will ruin the reputation. You know what I mean. Bad enough there will be x percentage of folks who miswire it and some subset of which will bad mouth the product or supplier.

Have you heard from Nacho in a while? Last I talked to him, things were beyond terrible down there in Venezuela and he was having a rough go at it. He hasn’t read my last message from January yet

How cold is it in West Texas? I lived in Midland for a couple of years.
Early cold snap. In the 30s. Got a couple of coldish days before we return to normal.

Spent a lot of time in Midland/Odessa. Several fond memories, and many stories of which I have no memory!

Have you heard from Nacho in a while? Last I talked to him, things were beyond terrible down there in Venezuela and he was having a rough go at it. He hasn’t read my last message from January yet
He posted last week on moparts.
I have not emailed directly with him for a couple months.
He was supposed to be going to Spain again. Hopefully he got there. At least there is food, and maybe some work.

Early cold snap. In the 30s. Got a couple of coldish days before we return to normal.

Spent a lot of time in Midland/Odessa. Several fond memories, and many stories of which I have no memory!
How much further west to Ft Davis?
My understanding its pretty up in the mountains

edited. my brains tired

-
Back