Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I am a little confused....
I read it as this...

“The steering wheel for my baby Dodge is getting there, but my problem is that the ring is bent down. The longest piece without spoke support on each side has been bent slightly down but there aren’t any cracks in it.

So, my question is, how can I bend it back ?”

I assume he means the lower ring between the spokes.

Aight den...I spoke of an opportunity earlier. So here it bees. I have a friend who owns and operates a restoration shop literally like a mile from me in a straight line. Now, this guy is only 31 years old, but he is very gifted. He had been hinting around......at least Kitty said he was, I was too stupid to catch it, at me coming and messin around a few days a week helping out with some mechanical work.

That's what I've been doing this week. He has four large buildings and a paint booth, including a large paint mixing shelf. The guy is a dead nuts professional. If you live in the southeast and are serious about a restoration, you might need to give me a shout.

Just this week, I removed the cabs and beds from a 95 S10 and a 51 Chevy truck. Yeah, you see where this is goin. The 51 on the S10 chassis powered with eventually you guessed it, an LS motor. lol He's big into LS motors. I guess if you're going to make money, you should be.

Next, I have two 63 Corvettes to disassemble to get ready one for complete restoration and the other for a paint job. We just got a 71 Mach1 in yesterday, and also we finally rescued my long time friend's LS5 SS 454 Chevelle from the paint prison it's been in for almost three years. Not to mention a 63 Ford F100 they are putting back together, a crazy 57 Chevy 4 door bagged and slammed with LS power and an early 50s GMC truck in for some super detailing.

You know what the down side is? My feet are naturally giving me about the worst they've ever given me this week. Being on them all over again has really done it. But this guy ain't takin no for an answer. He says he wants me in there even if only a couple of days a week......which is pretty much what I did this week.

Kitty got me in to see the doctor Monday for more steriod shots in my feet and to get some new custom insoles made......again. It appears we accidentally threw the last pair out in an old pair of shoes. Bout 250 bucks worth of custom insoles. lol Oh well.

Yall keep me in your prayers. This could be fun if I can get my feet worked out. But if I can't, I'm probably going to have to let it go. I felt like I was walking on bare bones this week and I can't take that kinda pain.

Last edited:
I would need similar photos of your bent horn ring to give you the best answer. In general, you bend chromed steel parts like that over large areas using blocks of wood and clamps to spread the bending forces and not over stress the metal.

Are these sufficient ? Sorry, my phone had croacked, needed to charge it before I could take pics.

My second 1965 Dodge Dart.

Bill

Are these sufficient ? Sorry, my phone had croacked, needed to charge it before I could take pics.

My second 1965 Dodge Dart.

Bill
Yes that is what I was after. The ring is bent out of plane, not out of round.

The best way to correct that is to clamp the upper part that is still in plane to a bench with the lower part hanging off past the edge of the bench. Then push the lower part back into plane using a wide flat piece of wood...a little at a time with constant pressure until I comes true to plane.

What I can’t tell is whether he means bent down toward the firewall or bent down out of round.

That’s why I asked for pictures. Which way it’s bent determines how to correct it.

I don't think it is any out of round. It feels more like someone has driven straight forward, crashed and hit the ring in the upper part with the forehead and bent it. But not had too much speed when the stop came, either that or their head was very light. :rofl:

I don't think it is any out of round. It feels more like someone has driven straight forward, crashed and hit the ring in the upper part with the forehead and bent it. But not had too much speed when the stop came, either that or their head was very light. :rofl:
Please read my last post.

The best way to correct that is to clamp the upper part that is still in plane to a bench with the lower part hanging off past the edge of the bench. Then push the lower part back into plane using a wide flat piece of wood...a little at a time with constant pressure until I comes true to plane.

Ok, thank you. :)

Bill

It got bent while on the car, it would be smart to straighten it on the car, I would be afraid of cracking something clamping it down...Just my thoughts..

Aight den...I spoke of an opportunity earlier. So here it bees. I have a friend who owns and operates a restoration shop literally like a mile from me in a straight line. Now, this guy is only 31 years old, but he is very gifted. He had been hinting around......at least Kitty said he was, I was too stupid to catch it, at me coming and messin around a few days a week helping out with some mechanical work.

That's what I've been doing this week. He has four large buildings and a paint booth, including a large paint mixing shelf. The guy is a dead nuts professional. If you live in the southeast and are serious about a restoration, you might need to give me a shout.

Just this week, I removed the cabs and beds from a 95 S10 and a 51 Chevy truck. Yeah, you see where this is goin. The 51 on the S10 chassis powered with eventually you guessed it, an LS motor. lol He's big into LS motors. I guess if you're going to make money, you should be.

Next, I have two 63 Corvettes to disassemble to get ready one for complete restoration and the other for a paint job. We just got a 71 Mach1 in yesterday, and also we finally rescued my long time friend's LS5 SS 454 Chevelle from the paint prison it's been in for almost three years. Not to mention a 63 Ford F100 they are putting back together, a crazy 57 Chevy 4 door bagged and slammed with LS power and an early 50s GMC truck in for some super detailing.

You know what the down side is? My feet are naturally giving me about the worst they've ever given me this week. Being on them all over again has really done it. But this guy ain't takin no for an answer. He says he wants me in there even if only a couple of days a week......which is pretty much what I did this week.

Kitty got me in to see the doctor Monday for more steriod shots in my feet and to get some new custom insoles made......again. It appears we accidentally threw the last pair out in an old pair of shoes. Bout 250 bucks worth of custom insoles. lol Oh well.

Yall keep me in your prayers. This could be fun if I can get my feet worked out. But if I can't, I'm probably going to have to let it go. I felt like I was walking on bare bones this week and I can't take that kinda pain.
You wear shoes or boots? Reason i ask is if i wear shoes, even for a few hours i’m done.
I spend near 200 on a pair of boots, usually get a year out of them. Thinking its almost time for new ones, i have noticed i’m dragging my feet again.

boots on at 7:00,off at 5:00. 7 days/week.been on concrete for 30 plus years.

You wear shoes or boots? Reason i ask is if i wear shoes, even for a few hours i’m done.
I spend near 200 on a pair of boots, usually get a year out of them. Thinking its almost time for new ones, i have noticed i’m dragging my feet again.

boots on at 7:00,off at 5:00. 7 days/week.been on concrete for 30 plus years.

I've tried all of it. Best I've found is what I have now. Brooks Walking Addictions. BUT, I may try some decent boots if I don't have success soon. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but with all of my other health maladies on top of my feet, I don't see this happening. But I am excited about it so I am going to
TRY.

Oh my Lord. I am never doing a trunk or treat/free for all Halloween party EVER again. That was f-ing crazy! Too many people, too many stupid people. Just reinforced my desire to move away!

Yikes, looks like a nightmare in VA

83D04825-AD6E-4FE0-889D-BC57773E39B9.jpeg

It got bent while on the car, it would be smart to straighten it on the car, I would be afraid of cracking something clamping it down...Just my thoughts..
But trying to bend it back on the car risks screwing up the horn mechanism behind it that wasn’t designed to handle that kind of torque with a single mount location in the center. Better to straighten it on a bench with controlled load forces across the ring before install.

-
Back