Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I was a go fast boat guy. Had a Wellcraft 23 Nova with a SBC. Of course I couldn't leave that alone. Made it a 383CI Stroker @ 485HP, with straight through transom exhaust. It was a BEAST. Deep hull boat, took the water well, and would do almost 60MPH on the water.....
It ran like a scalded dog! LOL

I was a go fast boat guy. Had a Wellcraft 23 Nova with a SBC. Of course I couldn't leave that alone. Made it a 383CI Stroker @ 485HP, with straight through transom exhaust. It was a BEAST. Deep hull boat, took the water well, and would do almost 60MPH on the water.....
View attachment 1715589049
I had the same boat!!!

View attachment 1715589049
Buddy’s hydrostream does 79 mph on gps,merc 175. That’s too fast for me.

I cant put it off any longer, time to drive in the mustang.

I sold that boat in 1992 and built a Pool at the house. Pool got much more use, especially while my kids were young......
I sold mine as well, head gasket went south, got salt water in bores, by the time we got it back to shore, the engine was seized......Did not care to repair it....Bought a different boat....bigger!

I had a customer call up when the 400hp outboards were first released. Needed to get 4 on the back of his boat to replace the 350s. He asked about fuel useage. I mentioned an old rule of thumb, outdated but still kind of close, is 10% of HP/hour at WOT. He lost his mind. He said he only has 500 gallons on board and that is 160 gallons per hour and only has 3 hours of fuel! I said, sir, you have 1,600hp, you will be in another country if running wide open for 3 hours....where are you going? Back off to a cruise speed....

I had a customer call up when the 400hp outboards were first released. Needed to get 4 on the back of his boat to replace the 350s. He asked about fuel useage. I mentioned an old rule of thumb, outdated but still kind of close, is 10% of HP/hour at WOT. He lost his mind. He said he only has 500 gallons on board and that is 160 gallons per hour and only has 3 hours of fuel! I said, sir, you have 1,600hp, you will be in another country if running wide open for 3 hours....where are you going? Back off to a cruise speed....
With my Mako twin 350 Yamaha's 2 stokes, can cruise and get 1 mile to the gallon!!! Boat hold 500 gallons of gas. Boat is 33 feet and moves out!

im actually looking for an upgrade to my Mer-cruiser inline 6. thing is wore out and overheats badly. Thinking of going V8 or even diesel.

I was able to drive a 48 ft Nortec with (4) 450hp Merc Race motors when they were released. Cruise at 80mph.

I was able to drive a 48 ft Nortec with (4) 450hp Merc Race motors when they were released. Cruise at 80mph.
We are flying along with calm seas, doing about 50 MPH, now 50 MPH on the ocean is flat moving. Out of nowhere we get passed like we we were sitting still.....
-participated-in-the-training-scenarios-over-the-course-of-two-days-us-coast-guard-photo-2AHYN2M.jpg

SAFEBoatsCIV-46622.jpg

The one on the bottom is what passed us!!!

The last time I went to Mission Bay for the Unlimited Hydros, one of the boats had 8 2 stroke power units coupled up in it. I tried to find photos of it, but not being able to remember the name of the boat is was a long unfruitful pursuit. Aside from it's unusual power plants rather than being a typical 3 point Hydro, it was actually a catamaran. It was sponsored maybe owned by a freight company in the San Gabriel Valley. It held it's own with the turbines, but that day nobody could touch the RR Griffon that Oh Boy O'Berto was packin'. :steering:

-
Back