Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
And its got a couple bolts holding it on
6F6235AA-0AB7-4182-A5FC-D0AB24F044B0.jpeg

So John Zurik is in the Midwest this weekend, Minnesota specifically. He is arguably one of the best pistoleros in the Country. Long story short he decided to do a invite only 1800 Bullseye match and precision pistol clinic tomorrow. Yours truly was lucky enough to get an invite! I am super excited. Of course being the knuckle head I am I decided I will shoot a Colt 1911 I just built and have yet to even shoot beyond a series of function and cycle rounds. What could possibly go wrong? Being on the line with a bunch of super handy guys shooting their tried and true totally dialed in equipment and I will compete with a freshly built not broke in piece! It will be a hoot, I can hear the line chatter now “is he even on the paper yet?” 50 yards with a 45 woop woop!

So John Zurik is in the Midwest this weekend, Minnesota specifically. He is arguably one of the best pistoleros in the Country. Long story short he decided to do a invite only 1800 Bullseye match and precision pistol clinic tomorrow. Yours truly was lucky enough to get an invite! I am super excited. Of course being the knuckle head I am I decided I will shoot a Colt 1911 I just built and have yet to even shoot beyond a series of function and cycle rounds. What could possibly go wrong? Being on the line with a bunch of super handy guys shooting their tried and true totally dialed in equipment and I will compete with a freshly built not broke in piece! It will be a hoot, I can hear the line chatter now “is he even on the paper yet?” 50 yards with a 45 woop woop!
Sounds a little more sporting what you do.

Sounds a little more sporting what you do.
You are correct, I am not fundamentally a Bullseye shooter but I started getting so many of them in my classes I felt if I did some matches in “their” game I could be a better instructor for them, thinking I would have a better frame of reference for their skill set. As a result I ended up shooting with and practicing with some nationally ranked guys. We have a great time and all get along in spite of the huge differences in shooting discipline. It is much like this forum, I am on the drag racer, stock sucks, put a roll bar in it side of the hobby. but the purists who need every nut and bolt correct still accept me (mostly!) and I them. Same thing in shooting sports. They shoot 5000 dollar purpose built pistols that can’t even shoot a factory round ( to much velocity) and I typically rock my defensive run and gun duty pistol. Anytime you can compete or learn from a National Champion that is a priceless opportunity. I got paired this last summer in a different discipline against a multiple times National Champion. We were both shooting a perfect match most of the day right up till I wasn’t! He waxed the floor with me but I learned so much and he was/is a great guy. It is just a lot of fun. And clearly becoming a much more needed skill set in our society.

You are correct, I am not fundamentally a Bullseye shooter but I started getting so many of them in my classes I felt if I did some matches in “their” game I could be a better instructor for them, thinking I would have a better frame of reference for their skill set. As a result I ended up shooting with and practicing with some nationally ranked guys. We have a great time and all get along in spite of the huge differences in shooting discipline. It is much like this forum, I am on the drag racer, stock sucks, put a roll bar in it side of the hobby. but the purists who need every nut and bolt correct still accept me (mostly!) and I them. Same thing in shooting sports. They shoot 5000 dollar purpose built pistols that can’t even shoot a factory round ( to much velocity) and I typically rock my defensive run and gun duty pistol. Anytime you can compete or learn from a National Champion that is a priceless opportunity. I got paired this last summer in a different discipline against a multiple times National Champion. We were both shooting a perfect match most of the day right up till I wasn’t! He waxed the floor with me but I learned so much and he was/is a great guy. It is just a lot of fun. And clearly becoming a much more needed skill set in our society.

My dad used to target shoot on a nationally ranked team... He was second string on the best rifle team in the country at the time - Morgan Park Military Academy...

He said that it would psyche out the competition when they would practice before a match, the coach would command, "commence fire" and there were all bullseyes down the line of targets...

Several years ago, a buddy of mine that was in the Guard at the time, hooked me up on a training course with Steve Reichert, an ex special forces sniper, I forget which branch now. Anyway, 600 bucks for the weekend. I forget how many shots we fired with that 308 but by the end of it, I was hitting a baseball sized group at 1200 yards, and my shoulder was bruised for a week afterwards. Well worth the money, which mostly went towards ammo. Guy was cool as hell to boot.

I want to take his extreme long range course, they get really far out there. But for that one, you have to supply your own rifle, ammo and scope. And last I looked, it was twice the cost of the intermediate range course I took. I don’t currently have anything that’ll reach out that to the levels they will. Think 338 or 408 Chey tech levels, 416 Barrett 50bmg something along those levels.

Hey deadeye take your "other Colt" you know the one you know shoots straight. Either that or a new Number 2 pencil that will make the right sized hole on the target...:lol:

Spent the day out in the cold air, working on getting my drive connected to the road. Have to have it in before construction which I hope will start this year.

Hey deadeye take your "other Colt" you know the one you know shoots straight. Either that or a new Number 2 pencil that will make the right sized hole on the target...:lol:
Hah! I am going with the pencil. Seen a lot of targets scored that way! Sadly in Bullseye it is all out in the open, no butts. Each guy scores someone else’s target under the watchful eye of the RO. These guys are merciless, they don’t care how good you are at your own game. You be playing theirs. I suck at it but always have a great time.

Hah! I am going with the pencil. Seen a lot of targets scored that way! Sadly in Bullseye it is all out in the open, no butts. Each guy scores someone else’s target under the watchful eye of the RO. These guys are merciless, they don’t care how good you are at your own game. You be playing theirs. I suck at it but always have a great time.
Take the wagon...it will distract them while you poke holes in the target...

FF6DF107-E199-430B-8214-C13A0992BD61.jpeg

-
Back