Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Good News!
My band teacher just asked me if I wanted to work on his convertible 67' mustang with a 289 punched out to the limit!
Hasn't run in 20 years, and he took it off the road becuase people kept stealing stuff off of it. Like he would come out of the store and it would be a "ustang" or all 4 hubcaps would be off of it.
So I guess he was impressed how my duster came along
:D

Don't know. Blueprint built the short block. Was advised standard pressure flow oil pump.

What brand oil pump???

Mellings come with 72 psi pumps...

I also have a bunch of 72 psi springs for the oil pump if you need one...

Thats a different type of flush, kind of like a beer fllush!

Down Toilet.gif

I'm going to make lunch!
Reading up on how to tune Holley for MPG
IMO when dealing with the main system its best to first tune for power. Go to the drag strip and jet for best mph. (or a chassis dyno)
[Of course the best approach is to tune the low speed system, then WOT in top gear - but I dont know if you want to go there. Many hours..]

Then once the you know the primary main jets for best power under max load, see if its OK any leaner for interstate cruise. If it will go leaner for high speed cruising, then make up of the difference in the power valve channel restrictors. Verify at the track.

This guy was on the right path.
Am I running on my primary jets!

Ignore all the insanity later that you "can't " change mpg by changing jets...capped off by stuffing a rag in secondaries...:realcrazy:

Get Vizards book on Holley, a bit dated in today’s world, but we are all dated, working on dated stuff so totally applicable. It is well written and just a wealth of info on Holley carbs.
His newest one just on Holleys has looked pretty good from all the excerpts I've seen. Very complete.
However his previous ones with info about tuning Holleys (How To Build Horsepower vol.1 &2) led me down some very long rabbit holes. Minimum estimated cost of those rabbit holes I'd say $400 and a few hundred hours.
You didn't think I learned so much about carbs by just reading books. Did ya? :poke:
laugh2-gif.gif

I dont even want to think about the actual hours and costs.

His newest one just on Holleys has looked pretty good from all the excerpts I've seen. Very complete.
However his previous ones with info about tuning Holleys (How To Build Horsepower vol.1 &2) led me down some very long rabbit holes. Minimum estimated cost of those rabbit holes I'd say $400 and a few hundred hours.
You didn't think I learned so much about carbs by just reading books. Did ya? :poke: View attachment 1715779724
I dont even want to think about the actual hours and costs.
Ha LMAO I fell victim to same thing, I am now the proud owner of a fishing tackle box that has more jets and Holley parts in it then you will ever know. Plus misc special tools. I figure I wasted one whole race season in aforementioned rabbit holes! And you wonder why I went to EFI? It was not a performance based decision, it was a frustration self preservation based decision. Smartest thing I ever did! It dawned on me early I was not a carb tuning guru.

MOPAR products & death wobble!
It’s anything with a straight axle and coil overs. My brothers Nissan just had it. As did the 05 Chevy and the H2 he had. Especially if you lift them.

Track bars take a beating and are the usual cause

Ha LMAO I fell victim to same thing, I am now the proud owner of a fishing tackle box that has more jets and Holley parts in it then you will ever know. Plus misc special tools. I figure I wasted one whole race season in aforementioned rabbit holes! And you wonder why I went to EFI? It was not a performance based decision, it was a frustration self preservation based decision. Smartest thing I ever did! It dawned on me early I was not a carb tuning guru.
I can tune a AFB real well. My 426 wedge got over 20 MPG with a AFB on it. But Holley is a different story...

Go hand in hand!
Fords as well.............NEW fords have a death wobble issue. The newest designed ones...Mine is wobble free, but they all are not...I really think most of the issues on all platforms stem from the steering gearbox being not mounted securely. Mount is flexing, just enough....

-
Back