Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
So when I was driving the duster Saturday night to a school dance my dad, someone's pissed off mom, and one of my teachers said it was throwing flames and sparks. out of both pipes. It spit flames with the manifolds before but they were small and only out the drivers side bank, so I did not have high hopes it would do it with longer tubes.
but DAMN I was wrong!

F-it, send it! Haha I had an old Chevy truck in-line 6 that did the same thing. Even had cops called on me one cold January morning cause the neighbor thought someone was shooting guns.

that said, probably off a bit on timing, get ya a timing gun. At least that’s my guess

F-it, send it! Haha I had an old Chevy truck in-line 6 that did the same thing. Even had cops called on me one cold January morning cause the neighbor thought someone was shooting guns.

that said, probably off a bit on timing, get ya a timing gun. At least that’s my guess
it's at 12 degrees initial, and 35 all in

So when I was driving the duster Saturday night to a school dance my dad, someone's pissed off mom, and one of my teachers said it was throwing flames and sparks. out of both pipes. It spit flames with the manifolds before but they were small and only out the drivers side bank, so I did not have high hopes it would do it with longer tubes.
but DAMN I was wrong!

When the throttles close.

Air at 14.7 psi pushes its way up the exhaust pipe. Hot leftover HC ignite with the input of O2.

it's at 12 degrees initial, and 35 all in
So that's 12 degrees at 600 rpm and 35 at 4000 rpm?
Or is 12 degrees at 1000 rpm and 35 degrees at 2000 rpm?
:poke:

When the throttles close.

Air at 14.7 psi pushes its way up the exhaust pipe. Hot leftover HC ignite with the input of O2.

So that's 12 degrees at 600 rpm and 35 at 4000 rpm?
Or is 12 degrees at 1000 rpm and 35 degrees at 2000 rpm?
:poke:
12 degrees at 750
35 at 3500

12 degrees at 750
35 at 3500
OK. That's ballpark for a mild performance cam in a small block.

I think you can clean it up (the flame and exhaust backfiring) by leaning the idle and mains a little and installing some exhaust piping.
I mean heck, there aren't even collectors on the headers. Its probably getting reversion all the way up into the intake. The only questions is how far. LOL.

oh yeah its really rich. the stock jets in the carb I have are 67's and tomorrow I am getting 64's or 63's to put in it.

when you turn the subtitles on on the video, it interprets it as music. :lol:
What carb, and sorry I forgot th e details, What's the engine from?

What carb, and sorry I forgot th e details, What's the engine from?
its a quick fuel marine 600 vacuum secondary. (1971 TQ manifold) and the engine is a 1973 318. I have no clue what it has in it, I think its been rebuilt once and at least has a cam and bore'd. came out of a 1970 satellite roadrunner clone.

OK. That's ballpark for a mild performance cam in a small block.

I think you can clean it up (the flame and exhaust backfiring) by leaning the idle and mains a little and installing some exhaust piping.
I mean heck, there aren't even collectors on the headers. Its probably getting reversion all the way up into the intake. The only questions is how far. LOL.
yeah my header mufflers were supposed to come friday, then they got delayed to today, and now it is delayed until tomorrow. damn fedex.

Quick Fuel is essentially a Holley 4150.
I have no idea how they may have set that up for marine applications. There are some differences.
In my experience they (QF) set up their carbs assuming poor manifold vacuum at idle (hot rodded engine). If so, this is why its running rich, especially when you let off the gas pedal.

Quick Fuel is essentially a Holley 4150.
I have no idea how they may have set that up for marine applications. There are some differences.
In my experience they (QF) set up their carbs assuming poor manifold vacuum at idle (hot rodded engine). If so, this is why its running rich, especially when you let off the gas pedal.
well they guessed correct, because at idle it has 15Hg of vacuum. but on their website it says what it has in it:
Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 6.50.16 PM.png

Evening, went to a power company meeting tonight. Wanting to run power lines down south, and they want to come out here and run then down the back of our property. Lots of pissed off people out here.

Last edited:
oh well its not in the 19-21 "normal engine" range
This is the first v8 i've messed with so I don't know what is considered poor vacuum
LOL.
beer-gif.gif

When below 14"Hg it effects the flows through circuit restrictions, so I use that as a reference point.
However when around 11-13" Hg isn't that bad for a hot rod.

Anyway, the spec from QF is helpful. One restriction we would really like to know in this situation is the Idle Feed (IFR).
Three things control the amount of fuel being moved toward the intake when the throttles are in idle position (and off-idle)
1. Idle feed restriction
2. Idle Air bleed
3. Transfer slot above and below the throttle.

LOL. View attachment 1715879495

When below 14"Hg it effects the flows through circuit restrictions, so I use that as a reference point.
However when around 11-13" Hg isn't that bad for a hot rod.

Anyway, the spec from QF is helpful. One restriction we would really like to know in this situation is the Idle Feed (IFR).
Three things control the amount of fuel being moved toward the intake when the throttles are in idle position (and off-idle)
1. Idle feed restriction
2. Idle Air bleed
3. Transfer slot above and below the throttle.
I will need to find that out when I take the bowl off to change the jets. Being a quick fuel, it should have screw in IF Restrictors. but I really don't know.

I will need to find that out when I take the bowl off to change the jets. Being a quick fuel, it should have screw in IF Restrictors. but I really don't know.
Do you know what to look for and how to measure?

Evening, went to a power company meeting tonight. Wanting to run power lines down south, and they want to come out here and run then down the back of out property. Lots of pissed off people out here.
What does that pay?
Evening, went to a power company meeting tonight. Wanting to run power lines down south, and they want to come out here and run then down the back of out property. Lots of pissed off people out here.
How much do they pay for the land and access?

-
Back