Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
If by greasing the bearings: large dab of grease in the palm, work the large end of the bearing against the grease forcing it out between the rollers on the smaller end. Keep at it until it is full all the way around. @krazykuda is going to be all over this one...
After that grab a towel!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’m more wondering if the hubs or maybe just the spindles are now worn out of from the KPI being off and that’s what’s thrashing the bearings? I just know when I was looking at build a T bucket using that same year axle, there were loads of reports of both KPI and Ackerman causing hubs to fail with certain kits. I’m a little curious too if the 37 spindles aren’t up to the task of the speeds and heat of modern traveling speeds.

you might go over to the H.A.M.B and post this there. Those guys are a HUGE source of knowledge similar to here but mostly focused on beam front axle cars

I am still not sure what you are referring to as KPI. King Pin ....something I assume. As for being up to the task, I am making assumptions that they are fine as the car is so light (less than half of factory weight 37) and the little use. I have been on the HAMB a bunch and used to be on Killbillet as well. Yes they are focused on beam axles and that is what mine is. I read about making a tool for setting the toe on these, I will see about making one up. I have wondered about the races being parallel. I have an extra set of hubs with new seals and inner bearings. Just need to get new outer bearings and will use the new ones when I put it back together.

Same as
DSC01277.JPG
DSC01278.JPG
DSC01279.JPG
DSC01280.JPG

Good morning everyone. I hope all is well. Need to get through this front end issue on the jalopy, hopefully today. Symco Weekender is this weekend, and I have only missed a couple since it started. Rockabilly show with a great venue. Symco Weekender

Wife is up and wanting an omelet, but as she gets out of the shower, walks into the kitchen as I was chopping up bell pepper and onion she said thats what she didn't want was an omelet :wtf: I know my ears are clean, so looks like I will have a nice omelet and she gets oatmeal and wheat toast...

Everyone have a good day, I will be doodling a logo today as it rains..

Its Two Four Seven Tuesdays.

Son build from the ground up 4 years ago

Screenshot_20220804-135537_Facebook.jpg

If you dont buy that kit let me know I will. They usually are close to calibration. Hardly ever need much adjustment on the tach/dwell., the rest are spot on.

Good morning everyone. I hope all is well. Need to get through this front end issue on the jalopy, hopefully today. Symco Weekender is this weekend, and I have only missed a couple since it started. Rockabilly show with a great venue. Symco Weekender
Pin up contest, cool idea, looks like a great time to be had

I am still not sure what you are referring to as KPI. King Pin ....something I assume. As for being up to the task, I am making assumptions that they are fine as the car is so light (less than half of factory weight 37) and the little use. I have been on the HAMB a bunch and used to be on Killbillet as well. Yes they are focused on beam axles and that is what mine is. I read about making a tool for setting the toe on these, I will see about making one up. I have wondered about the races being parallel. I have an extra set of hubs with new seals and inner bearings. Just need to get new outer bearings and will use the new ones when I put it back together.
KPI= Equals King Pin Inclination. Basically the difference between the angle of an imanginery line drawn thru the center of the King Pin and the true vertical axis at the center of the king pin.

beam axles , not supported correctly can bend slightly to cause an increase or decrease in that inclination. A LOT of rat rods, street rods and even factory model Ts and As can develop this problem. Especially if one hits a big enough bump and have a weight drifting over the front beam. IE, a big block that weighs twice or more what the axle was designed to support.

the 37-48 ford front I beam axle had a problem with this as the king pin angles were set at what many say is the max for a beam axle. Not a lot of room for flexing. Add in the fact the 37-48, some were cast iron vs forged (most ended up being cast due to costs) you have an axle that potentially is prone to KPI movement.

KPI= Equals King Pin Inclination. Basically the difference between the angle of an imanginery line drawn thru the center of the King Pin and the true vertical axis at the center of the king pin.

beam axles , not supported correctly can bend slightly to cause an increase or decrease in that inclination. A LOT of rat rods, street rods and even factory model Ts and As can develop this problem. Especially if one hits a big enough bump and have a weight drifting over the front beam. IE, a big block that weighs twice or more what the axle was designed to support.

the 37-48 ford front I beam axle had a problem with this as the king pin angles were set at what many say is the max for a beam axle. Not a lot of room for flexing. Add in the fact the 37-48, some were cast iron vs forged (most ended up being cast due to costs) you have an axle that potentially is prone to KPI movement.

Got it, thanks Chris. Yes I was aware of this, just not the acronym for it. It is a good thought and another place to be aware of. I have an aftermarket spring, spring hangers and bushings are new, and a factory split wishbone. Maybe time for a new front axle over winter. IDK

The modern term for it, sin
The modern term for it, since not everything has king pins anymore is "SAI" or steering axis inclination. Same thing, but all inclusive.....you know...like we gotta be these days. LOL

Wife is up and wanting an omelet, but as she gets out of the shower, walks into the kitchen as I was chopping up bell pepper and onion she said thats what she didn't want was an omelet :wtf: I know my ears are clean, so looks like I will have a nice omelet and she gets oatmeal and wheat toast...

Everyone have a good day, I will be doodling a logo today as it rains..

Its Two Four Seven Tuesdays.

Son build from the ground up 4 years ago

View attachment 1715967953
Get er' done Mikee. Cool photo with the flag.

My buddy is bringing his new altered wheelbase Dart build and his Winnebago that is matched now.

photo1(10).jpg

photo0(25).jpg

-
Back