Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Well a slight change in plans to seal off the Instructors lounge. Rather than a sliding barn door style I think I am going to build some kind of recessed pocket door. Anybody on here ever framed and built a pocket door? I am winging it out here! Have saw will build to suit!
We have a couple that came with the house and love them. I'm sure there is a U tube video that will explain it.

Are you buying a rail kit or making something up? Kits are pretty straightforward, just a matter of the framing. They can be a challenge if they come off the track inside the pocket...and watch the stops if there's just a recessed handle as it'll gather up your fingers
I am kind of building as I go trying to utilize scraps from framing the house. My design and creative influences are directly correlated to my scrap pile! I want to do some kind of top track only and have it so that the “back end“ never escapes the pocket, thereby eliminating the need for a bottom track. I want it to recess completely so I will need to engineer some kind of widget to pull the door closed. I have some scrap UHMW I can rip for guides inside the pocket. I may do some kind of removable access door for the rail system? The whole concept is still fresh as I just made the decision last night with some single malt creativit!

I went down unlocked and opened the gate, peed, and then checked the mailbox all in my bath robe and slippers this morning. Never saw a single car!
Was 40* above yesterday now 11* above this morning. Almost that time a year when I don't dare take a pee outside. LOL

I am kind of building as I go trying to utilize scraps from framing the house. My design and creative influences are directly correlated to my scrap pile! I want to do some kind of top track only and have it so that the “back end“ never escapes the pocket, thereby eliminating the need for a bottom track. I want it to recess completely so I will need to engineer some kind of widget to pull the door closed. I have some scrap UHMW I can rip for guides inside the pocket. I may do some kind of removable access door for the rail system? The whole concept is still fresh as I just made the decision last night with some single malt creativit!

Well a slight change in plans to seal off the Instructors lounge. Rather than a sliding barn door style I think I am going to build some kind of recessed pocket door. Anybody on here ever framed and built a pocket door? I am winging it out here! Have saw will build to suit!
Pretty sure @toolmanmike has one in his place. But it’s been there for like 300 years…
Good Morning

I've only ever done top track only. You just need a "wheel" or "pad" to ride in the track.

If you use a router to sink some sort of recessed handle in the closing edge. Sides you might use anything that will give you a grip to get it moving. Strap of a board or cabinet pull that clears the opening

After an overnight rain sunny and near 50 here. 50's forecasted for the next 10 days.
Every nice day is just another day closer to spring.

I'm doing the same on the party truck, scrounging whatever I can to use up my scrap wood.
Building the bar right now but still have a ways to go.
Also framing up the back for the swinging bar doors.

IMG_20221127_084042626.jpg

After an overnight rain sunny and near 50 here. 50's forecasted for the next 10 days.
Every nice day is just another day closer to spring.
Today would have actually been nicer if it was a little colder. This much precip would have just been been flurries.

No staples anywhere near me. UPS and a Fed ex in the burg. I guess make calls tomorrow. Want to get this going.
Any print shops around? That or maybe a camara /photo places that can print postcards and posters? Harrisburg's got to have something.

The ones commonly seen in mid 1800s through the early 1900 are in a slightly wider framed wall.
The door hangs from two trolleys. The trolley wheels ride on a wrought iron or steel track - basically flat stock - that's nailed to the framing.
If the nails get loose, the wall needs to be opened up.:BangHead: Screws or bolts is the better way to go.
The door latches can be found new as well as used/antique. Basically a hook that comes out of the leading edge of the door.

Another apporach is folding wall. I'm pretty sure that hangs too - no floor track. I'll see if I can figure where I saw that. Maybe it was the recreated/restored? Inn in York where the Cont Congress met when Philadelphia got captured.

Any print shops around? That or maybe a camara /photo places that can print postcards and posters? Harrisburg's got to have something.
Harrisburg definitely has Staples. That's still not 'close' to the middle of nowhere... :eek:

Shops local to Hoppy probably still running these. LOL
1669562890709.png

Last edited:
Big oil leak in cooler lines yesterday on the Suburban. Looked at the one that wasn't leaking, it was OEM, it was the newer Dorman line that was leaking. Pulled them both but couldn't locate AC Delco part in any of the parts stores and online was sketchy on fit so....ordered 2 Dorman lines, will be in Monday, gotta remember to ask about warranty.

-
Back