Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
How clean should these surfaces be before installing the new gaskets and intake?

20230926_140950.jpg

How clean should these surfaces be before installing the new gaskets and intake?

View attachment 1716146629
I scrape them with a razorblade scraper. You can use a bristle disc on a die grinder but some material may get down the ports and into a cylinder if a valve is open. (not the best idea) I always silicone the corners where the gaskets meet the china wall. Poke a small screwdriver down the bolt holes in case some go into water. Those need teflon or silicone on the bolt threads. Depending on the gaskets, some guys put silicone around the coolant passages especially if you are using the stock type embossed steel gaskets.

I scrape them with a razorblade scraper. You can use a bristle disc on a die grinder but some material may get down the ports and into a cylinder if a valve is open. (not the best idea) I always silicone the corners where the gaskets meet the china wall. Poke a small screwdriver down the bolt holes in case some go into water. Those need teflon or silicone on the bolt threads. Depending on the gaskets, some guys put silicone around the coolant passages especially if you are using the stock type embossed steel gaskets.
These?

20230926_143143.jpg

One of the things I do as well on those is to elevate the part and do them vertical if you will so that I use gravity to help me with the debris that invariably enters openings, you may or may not be able to do this depending on where you are in assembly process. I scrape mine first with super sharp gasket removal tool. It is designed to do exactly that and works great. Then I do as @toolmanmike suggests and finish them off. I always and I mean always cover the openings. A small vacuum helps as well, I run it inside the openings to ensure I have no debris. Even if I can’t see any.

I should red X you on that. No Scotchbrite. Bristle discs are preferred.
Go for it.

Wire wheels throw little metal wires EVERY where. So I don’t like to use them in internal machined applications. There are nylon ones but I have the same concern there.

Never had any issues with a bit of elbow grease and a scotch pad. Could use a straight razor if you needed to as well

Go for it.

Wire wheels throw little metal wires EVERY where. So I don’t like to use them in internal machined applications. There are nylon ones but I have the same concern there.

Never had any issues with a bit of elbow grease and a scotch pad. Could use a straight razor if you needed to as well

Yeah.. no wire. I use these nylon ones.

Home from work and was a busy day, walked in this morning with my tin foil hat on and the boss was laughing his as! off.
Sorry no pictures to many people coming in all day long and I need to act professional around customers. :rolleyes:

Home from work and was a busy day, walked in this morning with my tin foil hat on and the boss was laughing his as! off.
Sorry no pictures to many people coming in all day long and I need to act professional around customers. :rolleyes:
How'd the back window effort go?

So this on the bolts then ..?

LoL. I'm such an idiot. :lol:

20230926_165907.jpg

How'd the back window effort go?
Good Chris took longer than planed dealing with a messy truck with a ton of garbage laying all over the inside and having to clean the broken glass out took some time dealing with empty pop bottles and a ton of I have no idea what it was garbage.
Got all the glass out and then shoveled all the garbage back in the truck took time but me not a theft I made sure all I took out of the truck was broken glass. :thumbsup:

-
Back