Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
@lkopaska was looking for one when he had his 67 Barracuda. Jeff Bobst (mopar parts seller in my area) has had 2 or 3 for many years that he keeps bringing to swap meets. I think they were priced around $750 if I remember. He still own's at least a couple of them. He must want too much. :lol:

Hey any one by chance have any books on nascar part numbers for that dual point I picked up?

@lkopaska was looking for one when he had his 67 Barracuda. Jeff Bobst (mopar parts seller in my area) has had 2 or 3 for many years that he keeps bringing to swap meets. I think they were priced around $750 if I remember. He still own's at least a couple of them. He must want too much. :lol:
Actually NOS about right.

Hey got a steam powered rocket I can borrow! :rofl: :rofl:

View attachment 1716223239

play
View attachment 1716223240Listen Live • Morning Edition
Radio Schedule
WHYY

Search for:

View attachment 1716223241

View attachment 1716223242

View attachment 1716223243

The life and death of daredevil ‘Mad Mike’ Hughes​

The daredevil known as “Mad Mike” Hughes died in a rocket crash in 2020. He was an amateur rocket builder on a quest to prove that the Earth is flat.​

• By
  • Avishay Artsy
  • May 20, 2022
Listen 12:06View attachment 1716223244
A 2017 photo shows daredevil “Mad Mike” Hughes with his steam-powered rocket constructed out of salvage parts. (Waldo Stakes / AP)
This story is from The Pulse, a weekly health and science podcast.
Find it on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your
podcasts.

It takes a certain kind of person to build a rocket and launch themself inside it. “Mad Mike” Hughes was a limousine driver turned stuntman. What made him famous was not just his homemade rockets, but why he wanted to build them: to shoot himself to the edge of space, to prove that the Earth is flat.
Hughes’ third and final rocket launch, on February 22, 2020, ended in his death at the age of 64.
Freelance journalist Justin Chapman is writing a book about Hughes, and was at the final launch in the desert outside Barstow, Calif.
“There were about 50 spectators there,” Chapman said. “There were a couple of live streamers, like YouTubers, some Flat Earth folks, and there was a TV crew that was filming the launch for a Science Channel show called ‘Homemade Astronauts.’”

When the rocket took off, it hit a ladder propped up next to it, tearing off one of the parachutes. The rocket soared in an arc, it disappeared into the sky for a moment, and then started to fall.
“And as it’s coming down, everyone started realizing that his parachutes weren’t coming out. Even if they had, at this point, it was going to be too late. And he nose dived directly into the desert floor,” Chapman said.
“It was like a lawn dart, and hit the ground at somewhere between four and 500 miles an hour,” said Waldo Stakes, Hughes’ close friend and collaborator. Stakes taught Hughes how to build rockets.
Odd, none of my old homies ever mentioned that. Numerous dry lakes in that neighborhood for such activities. Certainly that sort of news would get round town. Not everyday you have a rocket crash land just outside of town

I am a sucker for these. Man had 8 of them last year and a guy bought them all for 150 ea and wanted more!
1710768661802.png

Odd, none of my old homies ever mentioned that. Numerous dry lakes in that neighborhood for such activities. Certainly that sort of news would get round town. Not everyday you have a rocket crash land just outside of town
Surprised was all over the news here.

The earth is actually square, the edges are worn down a bit deteriorating
Hey got a steam powered rocket I can borrow! :rofl: :rofl:

View attachment 1716223239

play
View attachment 1716223240Listen Live • Morning Edition
Radio Schedule
WHYY

Search for:

View attachment 1716223241

View attachment 1716223242

View attachment 1716223243

The life and death of daredevil ‘Mad Mike’ Hughes​

The daredevil known as “Mad Mike” Hughes died in a rocket crash in 2020. He was an amateur rocket builder on a quest to prove that the Earth is flat.​

• By
  • Avishay Artsy
  • May 20, 2022
Listen 12:06

View attachment 1716223244
A 2017 photo shows daredevil “Mad Mike” Hughes with his steam-powered rocket constructed out of salvage parts. (Waldo Stakes / AP)
This story is from The Pulse, a weekly health and science podcast.
Find it on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your
podcasts.

It takes a certain kind of person to build a rocket and launch themself inside it. “Mad Mike” Hughes was a limousine driver turned stuntman. What made him famous was not just his homemade rockets, but why he wanted to build them: to shoot himself to the edge of space, to prove that the Earth is flat.
Hughes’ third and final rocket launch, on February 22, 2020, ended in his death at the age of 64.
Freelance journalist Justin Chapman is writing a book about Hughes, and was at the final launch in the desert outside Barstow, Calif.
“There were about 50 spectators there,” Chapman said. “There were a couple of live streamers, like YouTubers, some Flat Earth folks, and there was a TV crew that was filming the launch for a Science Channel show called ‘Homemade Astronauts.’”

When the rocket took off, it hit a ladder propped up next to it, tearing off one of the parachutes. The rocket soared in an arc, it disappeared into the sky for a moment, and then started to fall.
“And as it’s coming down, everyone started realizing that his parachutes weren’t coming out. Even if they had, at this point, it was going to be too late. And he nose dived directly into the desert floor,” Chapman said.
“It was like a lawn dart, and hit the ground at somewhere between four and 500 miles an hour,” said Waldo Stakes, Hughes’ close friend and collaborator. Stakes taught Hughes how to build rockets.

Here's a fun local body shop commercial. I just saw it on tv. They got their money's worth. Produced in 2019.

They send me a bonus check every month...called a retirement check and Tricare for Life it's not bad. I did 33 years for the job I enjoyed, my community and country, the needed money to raise a family and pay the bills, and the health insurance it provided. You can do your 27 months.
Oh I have for the most part enjoyed the last 20 years for sure. Yeah there’s been times I’ve hated it but I still had fun. It’s not a question of to do the 27 months. That’s happening regardless. It’s do I keep going? even though the financial aspects outside of tricare and it’s cheap premium, are few. The odds of promotion are slim at this point. And staying only gains me a few points for retirement.

Honestly, from the financial side, a lot will be determined by what the VA decides on my claim.

Course if the bill before Congress actually passes, where they’re trying to make it where you get your pension AND VA compensation at the same time, not one or the other, that would change things.

-
Back