Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Had a flapper go bad,so i wired it open and stuffed a sock in the cold air side to help.
Was a grumpy chevette the wife drove. Turned out it had a heated grid below carb,was part of the base gasket. When it went bad, car would barely pull itself around. Poked a few holes in the screen. Ran fine after that.

Hoping that the more I run her the better she will be also. She has been sitting for over 2 years.
Hey...I can dream can't I????? lol

Hoping that the more I run her the better she will be also. She has been sitting for over 2 years.
Hey...I can dream can't I????? lol
It does happen. Getting a full dose of fresh fuel is huge. I deal with a buttload of small engines on farm equipment. They sit idle for 9 months. They are a pain to fire up after sitting. After about 20 minutes of high rpm running, most settle in nicely. Dome still need a deep carb cleaning..

It does happen. Getting a full dose of fresh fuel is huge. I deal with a buttload of small engines on farm equipment. They sit idle for 9 months. They are a pain to fire up after sitting. After about 20 minutes of high rpm running, most settle in nicely. Dome still need a deep carb cleaning..
Agreed, the more they run with fresh fuel and fluids...the better they seem to get. Fine tune from there with maintanance and they tend to get even better. These old cars don’t like to sit.

Yeah, the fresh fuel made a difference already. I still have some things to do on it for sure, but she is getting there! And you guys have been awesome with your pointers and advice. I really appreciate it.

The vacuum hose diagram may be on a sticker under the hood. I don't know what year they started doing that.

Page 541 of the manual has it! "Automatic Choke (Vacuum Kick) System (Fig. 7) The automatic choke provides the richer fuel-air mixture required for starting and operating a cold engine. A bi-metal spring inside the choke housing, which is installed in a well in the intake manifold, holds the choke valve in the closed position."

and then make sure the flapper in the snorkel opens when the engine is running.
It's vacuum 'motor' that opens the valve. A thermostatic valve will know to close the flapper when the air termperature gets too warm.
And the big flippy flopper on the manifold. They tend to rust solid...
IMG_1692.jpg

The vacuum hose diagram may be on a sticker under the hood. I don't know what year they started doing that.
Mine is on the inner fender

Yeah, the fresh fuel made a difference already. I still have some things to do on it for sure, but she is getting there! And you guys have been awesome with your pointers and advice. I really appreciate it.
A bit of Seafoam or some other carb cleaner type of fuel additive in the next few tanks of fuel wouldn't hurt. It's not a miracle fix, but it does clean up some of the easy stuff..

Page 541 of the manual has it! "Automatic Choke (Vacuum Kick) System (Fig. 7) The automatic choke provides the richer fuel-air mixture required for starting and operating a cold engine. A bi-metal spring inside the choke housing, which is installed in a well in the intake manifold, holds the choke valve in the closed position."
And there is that... You can see the well where it mounts on the 3rd runner from left in pic I just put up

Close. That's a different one. Lemme see what I have here that might show it besides the Wagoneer's vacuum diagram, which makes even experience mechanics weep.

You are getting closer, but that sounds more like just the carb choke. The system we are talking about is on the air cleaner and the intake manifold like Keith posted

Well Finely got wheel today, told the manager at the tire store it goes on the left side of the car. I marked the outside of the tire, AND they STILL put it on wrong!!!:BangHead: Have to go back tomorrow and get it resolved....

Sea foam gets my vote. Added to non ethanol gas and it will clean it up nice!
Sold lots of snake oils in my day,
Sea foam
ATP AT-205 trand re-seal
And crc ceramic block seal are
3 out of all the snake oils on the shelf /shelves that actually work.

Well Finely got wheel today, told the at the tire store it goes on the left side of the car. I marked the outside of the tire, AND the STILL put it on wrong!!!:BangHead: Have to go back tomorrow and get it resolved....
Thought only i did that.

Well Finely got wheel today, told the at the tire store it goes on the left side of the car. I marked the outside of the tire, AND the STILL put it on wrong!!!:BangHead: Have to go back tomorrow and get it resolved....
Man. You're catching some bad luck with that wheel.

Well Finely got wheel today, told the manager at the tire store it goes on the left side of the car. I marked the outside of the tire, AND they STILL put it on wrong!!!:BangHead: Have to go back tomorrow and get it resolved....
Lemme guess, directional/sided tires? Most wheel monkeys find that concept baffling.

-
Back