Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
So my ***. You HAVE to get your car smog checked every two years here, no smog no registration. No way that will pass the sniffer, or visual. Let alone with a "custom tune"
Goes by the emissions requirement for the vehicle year no?

I think the smog check goes beyond just a sniffer here. Mods have to have a CARB # on them. Wouldn't surprise me if it includes checking the ECM for alterations in the tune from OEM settings. Doing the same for motorcicles is just around the corner. Many aftermarket parts people won't ship items that may alter the tune/emissions to Ca now.

I think the smog check goes beyond just a sniffer here. Mods have to have a CARB # on them. Wouldn't surprise me if it includes checking the ECM for alterations in the tune from OEM settings. Doing the same for motorcicles is just around the corner. Many aftermarket parts people won't ship items that may alter the tune/emissions to Ca now.
Yes the check , checks the tune ID in the ECU for sure. On my 2015 VW TDI, I have a Malone tune, it re-tunes the engine, without affecting the smog settings. Supposed to be invisible. We will see. I will tell you it drives tons better with the tune, especially after the EPA neutered the thing with the big *** law suit/ recall...

I need to investigate that motorcycle smog situation. There's a Kawasaki model that has really got my attention and I'm certain it needs exhaust tone improvements :rolleyes:

We're the normal ones :rolleyes: The rest of the world is the A B Normal ones :rofl:

Thanks to the internet and this forum, we found others with the same "abnormalities" (car collecting disease)....

In a small society we would be by ourselves and be outcasts... But with the internet connecting us, we are all normal in this group and the others are the outcast.... :mob:

United we stand....

Dyslexics untie.png

Dyslexic.jpg

It does yes. That cam might be a boost for a swapper like what I thinking of, but in that truck in the Video? No way...

its actually not hard to get an aftermarket tune passed by the CARB board. its' just expensive and time extensive. When I worked for TST, we had the only diesel tuner that was Carb certified. took us nearly 2 years and several thousand dollars. But the funniest part was when the CARB rep visited with all the smog test equipment and found that our tune actually DECREASED the emissions a couple points.

hey check this out...

the head on the left, is a 03-08 5.7 hemi head, intake port. Head on the right is a 09+ 5.7 hemi EAGLE head.

57 hemi heads.jpg

Last edited:
its actually not hard to get an aftermarket tune passed by the CARB board. its' just expensive and time extensive. When I worked for TST, we had the only diesel tuner that was Carb certified. took us nearly 2 years and several thousand dollars. But the funniest part was when the CARB rep visited with all the smog test equipment and found that our tune actually DECREASED the emissions a couple points.

That improvement is no surprise to me. Ca State employees only see their departmental guidelines and shall not vary from such.

the eagle heads are the ones that flow over 330 CFM factory... in comparison, the trick flow 240s for a 440, flow 280 out of the box. Now furthermore, the eagle head is the one where they started pining the valve seats in so they stopped the valve falling issues Dave was talking about the other night.

but notice the intake port shape differences?

check this out on that one Dave decoded for me in the foreground as being a 2006 300C engine.

If the smaller and more congested Eagles flow like that, what do those wide open earlier heads flow? Visually speaking to the differences that is.

Last edited:
I hope that was a visiting C130 that just motored by and not one of the red-tailed fire bombers. Must be USAF, more than one of them and they are motoring right along. Probly stopped at Pepper Garcia's at the airport for a Bloody Mary :rolleyes:

If the smaller and more congested Eagles flow like that, what do those wide one earlier heads flow? Visually speaking to the differences that is.
you have it backwards, the eagles are the bigger, wider ports.

the early 5.7 head, which has a 2.00 inch intake valve, a 1.55 exhaust valve and the smaller ports flows

max of 264 cfm intake, 166 exhaust

the eagle heads have a 2.05 intake, 1.55 exhaust valve but the valves are also much longer, they flow

334 intake, 184 exhaust

apparently they have a closed chamber as well, making compression 11.0:1 versus 9.6:1 as the standard 5.7 hemi.

So either someone swapped the heads on that 06 to the eagle heads or someone put the valve covers on... I'm guessing its the later.

-
Back