Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
#4 cam journal oiling holes must line up at particular spot in rotation to pump oil up. Each side has a different spot. IE right gets a shot of oil first and then left. The #4 cam journal itself work's as the pump

I did not notice that on the cam when I put it in. I thought the journals were machined round.

Cam lines up with crank supply at different intervals for right and left oiling. I have built MANY big blocks in my day without this issue Always a first I guess

Does the big block sitting in my shop waiting for a rebuild count? Stopping in after my first class. Good morning fellas.

Tony

Just see it in a pic, never caught that before, to many chevy's in the past.

I've done the math. If the right side lines up where some say it does, I can prime that side there to be sure of oiling. Then, if my math is correct, I rotate approx 1.25 crank turns to line up the left side to check with prime rod

I am thinking the bearing is not lined up, even if it was not primed fully it should only take a few seconds to get there I would think.

You did get oil there eventually, right?

Yes. I just dont want to install new parts until I verify oil on both sides, especcially the left. I'm pretty sure, since the shafts are off now, when I get them lined up, they will squirt

Yes. I just dont want to install new parts until I verify oil on both sides, especcially the left. I'm pretty sure, since the shafts are off now, when I get them lined up, they will squirt

So the shafts were not line up to the oil passage?

here's one of the craziest things I've read in a while - copied directly from another thread - - Machine shop told me never prime the motor as you just washed off all the assembly lube which stays in place better if the motor doesn't start right away.

Get Sue to run the drill for you?

I got my young protege coming over to turn over the engine by hand while I determine where and prime them. Mind you the engine is in the car with belt, rad,ad shroud, hoses

I got my young protege coming over to turn over the engine by hand while I determine where and prime them. Mind you the engine is in the car with belt, rad,ad shroud, hoses

I have a bump switch that is a pushbutton, works great just run the battery down and it turns slow. Just a thought.

So the shafts were not line up to the oil passage?

I will know later when I rotate engine more and prime as I go Aint easy, in car. I'm not puttin it back together untill I see oil flying out those shaft mounting holes

I will know later when I rotate engine more and prime as I go Aint easy, in car. I'm not puttin it back together untill I see oil flying out those shaft mounting holes

Don't blame you so the way I figure it the shaft was not lined up or the cam bearing is not lined up? Just one side right?

-
Back