Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Hey anyone know the best way to clean the old dry hard white crap out of the bottom of a carb bowl? My carb cleaner that I soak them in isnt touching it..

Gotta love that big 2 stroke ring ding

Got that right! I’d love to get my hands on one of the vintage 400-500cc 2 Stroke Enduros but I’d probably kill myself on one of those monsters.

My grandfather has a Suzuki GL550 3 Cylinder 2 Stroke, now that he’s too old to safely ride it, he “makes” me ride it (makes me as in he throws me the keys and says “I don’t want it to develop problems from sitting, so take her for a while and when you’re done park it in the garage beside the Twister”)

That GL550 scares the crap out of me. It’s like a crotch rocket and a muscle bike combined with a 2 Stroke, all in a cruiser style bike

Hey anyone know the best way to clean the old dry hard white crap out of the bottom of a carb bowl? My carb cleaner that I soak them in isnt touching it..
It depends what it is. Usually white stuff is oxidation and it takes an acid (like vinegar) to remove it.

Im assuming old dried up gas.. Its the carb from a snowmobile that were sitting for a good 5 years.
There is nothing in fuel that will leave a white residue. If the bowl is metal, it is likely oxidized metals and a weak acid like vinegar should clean it up.

There is nothing in fuel that will leave a white residue. If the bowl is metal, it is likely oxidized metals and a weak acid like vinegar should clean it up.
Aluminum bowls, the oxidation does make sense. Some of it is so thick that it interferes with the float. I'll give vinegar a try as well.

A friend of mine bought a basket case BSA 500 single for $25 early 60s vintage. After we got that morphidite British Wentworth POS put together, the moment of truth. Gassed it up gave it a little tickle, he jumped on the kick starter and literally threw him over the bars when it sneezed back. We push started it until we figured out those extra levers, compression release and ignition advance :rofl:

My dad called me one day with a similar story about getting launched over the handlebars.

“Hey, I bought a Suzuki ATV for the kids, (my younger step siblings and some of his grandkids), it’s a little bigger than the one you’ve got, but it’s hard to start.”

“Did you try jump starting it? Maybe the battery is junk?”

“It doesn’t have a battery, or a pull starter either. Just a kick starter and it threw me off the bike when I kicked it.”

“I’m on my way, don’t let any kids near that thing!”

I pull in at his house and he’s got a damn Quadzilla 500 sitting in the yard. “I’ll give you my Suzuki, just rebuilt the engine, for that! That’s not safe for the kids to ride!”

I ended up trading him my LT185 for the Quadzilla.

Aluminum bowls, the oxidation does make sense. Some of it is so thick that it interferes with the float. I'll give vinegar a try as well.
The reason why is occurs is because water condenses on the metal surface above the fuel with temperature changes and since it is immiscible with the fuel, it collects around the edges in contact with the metal wall causing oxidation. As the fuel evaporates, the same process continues down the metal wall until the bowl is empty. The greatest areas of oxidative build up occur along the line of the original fuel level since that is where it began first.

That explains a lot about how your brain works. :poke:
Oh that it does haha

IMG_6119.JPG

-
Back