Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I used a cheapo sandblaster with the little tank on top,baking soda.
Cleans carb nice. Outside of course...

Got that right! I’d love to get my hands on one of the vintage 400-500cc 2 Stroke Enduros but I’d probably kill myself on one of those monsters.

My grandfather has a Suzuki GL550 3 Cylinder 2 Stroke, now that he’s too old to safely ride it, he “makes” me ride it (makes me as in he throws me the keys and says “I don’t want it to develop problems from sitting, so take her for a while and when you’re done park it in the garage beside the Twister”)

That GL550 scares the crap out of me. It’s like a crotch rocket and a muscle bike combined with a 2 Stroke, all in a cruiser style bike

I got to ride a GT 750 one time. What a handful that was. :steering:Suzuki said they made 55 hp I think, pretty sure they way under rated it. CB750 Hondas didn't stand a chance.

I got to ride a GT 750 one time. What a handful that was. :steering:Suzuki said they made 55 hp I think, pretty sure they way under rated it. CB750 Hondas didn't stand a chance.

Not sure about the GT750’s, but the Suzuki GS750’s were over 100hp/100ft lbs. I had one of the GS750’s, wish I still had that beast but it weighed 10 times what I do.

On another note, why do people at Carlisle always think they’ve got a Gold Mine on motorcycles. Every time I’m there I find at least 10 vintage bikes and none of them have titles (and/or are basket cases) with $1500+ price tags.

It’s worth scrap if there’s no title, it can’t ever be registered (at least in PA)

Aluminum bowls, the oxidation does make sense. Some of it is so thick that it interferes with the float. I'll give vinegar a try as well.
Physically knock of the worst of it and then apply the vinegar treatment.
Pine sol and water. But not for too long.
Thats sounds interesting. Have to see whats in it.
I used a cheapo sandblaster with the little tank on top,baking soda.
Cleans carb nice. Outside of course...
Some of the restorers use media on the inside too.
At least a couple good threads on removing white corrosion at RFS. Most of the older ones probably are zinc based castings not aluminum which straightline speed is dealing with. Starting near the bottom of this page
Removing a stuck metering block

Lovely photo about 3/4 down this page. :eek:
DIY anti-corrosion coatings for alum. carb parts?

Too cold here to even think about riding a bike. Mine are both packed away until it warms up.

Though technically the one needs overhauled. My ‘78 Yamaha DT175 (2 Stroke) Big Bore/Stroker (297cc) popped a crank seal and ran lean, melted the piston. That was enough to make me cry, there was less than 500 miles on that motor after the Big Bore kit and Stroker Crank.

My younger boy has a few of those old enduro motorcycles...

@ValiantK360

First... :D

Good morning coffee drinkers...

Coffee.jpg

Update on the stone work situation..

Finally got a phone call from a person at this company that they want to meet in person to discuss the failed work. So discussing what was wrong with it, he proceeds to tell me that its a simple fix and I started laughing. I told him that my job entails me to deal with large projects and contractors all day long and that I know enough to be dangerous to him. So he proceeds to question my knowledge and belittle me, only for me to fire back as quick as he can talk with the correct answers to his problem. He is getting more and more defensive and starts yelling at me about me questioning there crappy work. So I fire back at him how he worked for me and I have every right to be pissed off.

He calmed down a little but kept questioning my knowledge with his so called knowledge. He stated that he has been doing this work for 7 years, so I said, "Thats nice. I have 19 years of this experience and your company installed this wrong. I told you I know enough to be dangerous". Never leading on with really what I know.

He finally calmed down when he knew I was not going to back down, and hold them accountable and not accept any of their BS. He told me that he doesnt even know why his company was installing the stone. They dont do stone work, only roofs and siding. I mentioned that was never told to us, otherwise we would of had someone that knew what they were doing install it. He said he is willing to tear it off and wrap the house and take the loss but not reinstall the stone, if it costs to much money, to do it right. We signed a contract for them to install the stone, my thought is they have to hire someone and eat the loss. So as of now we are meeting Monday morning at my house, where his only option in my opinion is to remove the stone and reinstall it.

Thoughts on if they walk?

You have every right to demand that it be torn apart and finished correctly by someone who knows how to do the work properly... Don't accept anything less...

It is a fun little monster, it uses mostly (modified) Blaster Big Bore & Stroker parts, since the old DT125/175 Engine was actually the basis for the design of the older Air Cooled Blasters. On the plus side, that makes future overhauls pretty much all off the shelf parts (unless it needs a crank or a case half, those had to “touched up” to fit everything together properly)

Looks stock too, so she’s a sleeper (got a nasty growl to her though, kinda tells people it’s not stock)

I weigh 115, so it’s like strapping a jet engine to a skateboard.

View attachment 1715255863

@ValiantK360

A friend of mine bought a basket case BSA 500 single for $25 early 60s vintage. After we got that morphidite British Wentworth POS put together, the moment of truth. Gassed it up gave it a little tickle, he jumped on the kick starter and literally threw him over the bars when it sneezed back. We push started it until we figured out those extra levers, compression release and ignition advance :rofl:

@ValiantK360

My TS250 Savage, aka Leg Breaker.

She sounds pretty mean for 2 Stroke that’s almost 50 years old, that was last registered and ran in 1981.

I bought her about 5 years ago for $200. There was a pair (a ‘71 and a ‘72) for sale at a second hand shop and they wanted $300 for both or $200 each. I only had enough money for one bike, so I picked the one that fired up on the first kick (the ‘71)

My dad lived down the street from the second hand shop, so I rode it to his house (just as someone was pulling in to buy both of the TS250’s)

It took me a few years to find all of the parts for her, but now I’ve got brand new and NOS everything for her and I’m hoping to put it together over the winter.

@ValiantK360

Got that right! I’d love to get my hands on one of the vintage 400-500cc 2 Stroke Enduros but I’d probably kill myself on one of those monsters.

My grandfather has a Suzuki GL550 3 Cylinder 2 Stroke, now that he’s too old to safely ride it, he “makes” me ride it (makes me as in he throws me the keys and says “I don’t want it to develop problems from sitting, so take her for a while and when you’re done park it in the garage beside the Twister”)

That GL550 scares the crap out of me. It’s like a crotch rocket and a muscle bike combined with a 2 Stroke, all in a cruiser style bike
@ValiantK360

-
Back