Straight Axle Law? ( For Street Gasser )

-

Nomax

ALPHA MIKE FOXTROT
Reaction score
Figure I would ask other Racers/Street here,

I have a strained eye looking at a Street Gasser for sale,
Went to NJMV to ask about the Law pertaining to the Axle, And they didn't know what the heck i was talking about,
Said bring a picture.

Anyone here familiar with NJ MV Laws on this?

Thanks

didn't know there was a law,if you bring a photo they would be looking out for you on the street,what about all the street rods that run straight axles

wouldn't worry about it... I think the laws come into effect on bumper height and lighting height... but look at these 4 foot lifted trucks, so who cares lol

I'm just gonna bet money and say there is no such law

I'm in New Jersey, They have laws for everything here, Bumper laws, Mother inlaws anything law :angel9:

Thanks Guys, Doing some MVNJ reading,

-thanks

I am next door in Pa.. Here, you would have to worry about annual state safety inspection. The regulations say "no steering or suspension modifications if the OEM parts are still available to purchase" . I will check to see if I can find it in print. Here you could get away with it because the inspection are done by private shops, but NJ is state run inspections.

I am next door in Pa.. Here, you would have to worry about annual state safety inspection. The regulations say "no steering or suspension modifications if the OEM parts are still available to purchase" . I will check to see if I can find it in print. Here you could get away with it because the inspection are done by private shops, but NJ is state run inspections.

just say its out of a 65 dodge truck OEM MOPAR... they wont know any different if its a speedway piece or not

I know when you go to register under historic registration they want a picture. Not sure how obvious the car is that there's a straight axle under it. If its sky high then they would probably notice. Insurance shouldn't be an issue as long as ya got modified type of insurance.

If I were doing it. I'd take pics of a stock car like your gasser and use those pics to register it then call and get modified insurance.

In nj there is no inspection at all for historic registered cars.

They way that is written, the state of PA basically bans street rods. In fact, it would TECHNICALLY mean that an early A-body with a BBP swap or any pre-72 Mopar with a later disc-brake conversion isn't legal!

Does a car with antique plates have to be inspected in Jersey?

Thanks Joe,
Cars not Sky high, He has it sitting just right, think they wouldn't question it.
as 805moparkid stated, He may be right.

Thanks 69MOPE

I know when you go to register under historic registration they want a picture. Not sure how obvious the car is that there's a straight axle under it. If its sky high then they would probably notice. Insurance shouldn't be an issue as long as ya got modified type of insurance.

If I were doing it. I'd take pics of a stock car like your gasser and use those pics to register it then call and get modified insurance.

In nj there is no inspection at all for historic registered cars.

all depends on the person at the counter when you go to dmv i would think..

worse case ya register it as a regular car or as a collector car.

Sorry, I know its not a Mopar, but this is my all time favorite, this car was from my neighborhood when I was a kid. (Illinois) I degress carry on

Attachments

• chicago gto 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 364
  • chicago gto 3.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 373
  • chicago GtO.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 369
  • scan0227.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 383
Hi
The law that makes it illegal, is "modified suspension". actually any modification to a car can be considered illegal, and you can get a ticket. Now with that said, I have had many radical cars on the street, in California and other states, that would be considered illegal. But the secret is if the car is clean, and you are cool, most the time nothing will happen.
I am talking about a 56 chev sedan delivery with a staright axel,and fenderwell headers. A 62' econoline with a 440 chrysler with headers hanging out the back windows (with mufflers), and an altered wheelbase GTO, staright axel, fenderwell headers.I had even been stopped many times, but when they saw how clean and safe the car was, they never wrote me, unless I was doing something bad.
Just my 2 cents

I drive a 1980 ply volare with a straight axle every chance i get in N.J. Im building a 64 dart with one now plus 496 clutchflight dana60 456:violent1:

-
Back