Straight outta the 70's Pro Stock, or Pro Street modern twist?

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Trying to decide if I want to go more modern Pro Street or vintage 70's Pro Stock on my Colt build. Car is going to have the following:
Cragar Super Trick wheels, tubbed, running 383 big block, with single 4 tunnel ran, and a scoop of some sort, either open, or mailbox, or functional butterfly scoop. I really would prefer more of a modern stance, not so much of the extreme stance of the yellow and purple car listed below.

To me, vintage is yellow Accel plug wires / big Accel or Mallory coil / anodized Moroso valve covers / brushed or partially polished scoop, brushed or polished wheels.

To me, modern is matching red wires, coil, ignition box, flat black valve covers, flat black scoop, and flat black wheels.

Modern:
CIMG3076.jpg

Vintage:
1972-Dodge-Colt-Mark-Panos.jpg

I could see one as follows :
- Ansen Sprints ( say , 14x5 front , 15x8 out back )
- Side pipes
- Correct -- but street 'legal' -- hood scoop
- "Direct Connection" valve covers
- Chrysler Engine Turquoise for the motor ( including heads , etc. )

The red one doesn't look too bad , but is too "ricer" imo ; and the yellow/purple one , while looking nice and ostensibly period-correct , is too *common* for my taste ( esp with the done-to-death Centerlines / Cragar SST wheels ... ~yawn~ ) .

So , something between race and street , but not ( that horrid ) Pro Street look :tongue6:

I could see one as follows :
- Ansen Sprints ( say , 14x5 front , 15x8 out back )
- Side pipes
- Correct -- but street 'legal' -- hood scoop
- "Direct Connection" valve covers
- Chrysler Engine Turquoise for the motor ( including heads , etc. )

The red one doesn't look too bad , but is too "ricer" imo ; and the yellow/purple one , while looking nice and ostensibly period-correct , is too *common* for my taste ( esp with the done-to-death Centerlines / Cragar SST wheels ... ~yawn~ ) .

So , something between race and street , but not ( that horrid ) Pro Street look :tongue6:

I like the Direct Connection valve covers idea.

I have 15x4 and 15x14 Cragar Super Tricks, so that is what I will be running, trying to decide if I polish, brush, or powdercoat the wheels.

IMO you gotta go with a 'drag strip' look since you're sure not gonna turn that Colt into a canyon carver with a big block over the front wheels. How about some Billet Specialties 'Street Lite' wheels and a Mopar-style hood scoop? Maybe a six-pack (although it's been done to death) will look good on your Colt. Can't go too big on the scoop or it will overpower the look.

Attachments

• 0000000940-prod.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,654
i would take this as a template for how to build a colt

http://www.garaget.org/?car=238595
warning its GM content in the link but that style would be freaking perfect on a streetdriven colt the car in the link is swedens fastest streetcar very dominant for the last 5years,seven second streetcar that hooks on any track,or of the track doesnt mather that thing would probably hook on ice..
if you like it just tell me and i can dig out the buildthread from when it was built

less rake than the second car,but a windshield snorkle scoop would be trick

I think the red one looks awesome with the red paint with black wheels. I like the sound of the modern version. Jared

I have 15x4 and 15x14 Cragar Super Tricks, so that is what I will be running, trying to decide if I polish, brush, or powdercoat the wheels.

I like dull brushed super tricks if you're going for the vintage look, I gotta stainless jet boat scoop for my tunnel ram (2-4 top) I can trim it a little in the front and it'll be perfect for my '66 valiant gasser..

"Modern ProStreet, IMO is too ricer looking, yet too old-school Detroit for real ricer fans, so there's no place it'd really fit. Nostalgia P/S would give you mere leeway in mods, appeal to almost evryone, would allow you to run nostalgia events & would probably keep the car's re-sale value up.

Of course you could always trade me my Altered for it........:-D

the red one looks bad ***. there is no reason you cant use what vintage speed parts you have on that car. im not into hood scoops but id imagine your going to need something even if you went with a lower single plane.

what is the red one anyway? doesnt really look like a colt to me.

I'm glad you will be using the Super Tricks. Just to be different, put them back to the original brushed finish, or alternately anodize them gold or red or something. When I polished the ST's on the yellow/purple car, it was because I wanted something different and ST's were mostly run in a brushed finish at the time.

As for the stance, yep, it was a fact of life that as PS cars reached the 160 mph range in the late 70's they started flying and the rules didn't allow much in the way of spoilers, so extreme rake kept them on the ground. Check out this A-body:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2380499420082607023sckVxE

Mark

The Colts back in the day where bad ***,I have a photo of Ronnie Sox in his Colt taken at Minnesota Dragways,also of Ronnie Lyles.
The red Colt to me is very cool!!!!

Go the 70's!!! Go with a retro paint scheme too. And Super tricks will be cool, they were good enough for Landy. I agree on the stance though, don't go too raked, but just a little for attitude.
Should be bad ***, wish someone would build one of those locally.

A good mix of both styles is what you need to do. Take the old P/S car and drop the rear down like the modern cars are and still retain the identity of the old style cars. As for wheels.... wheels are wheels

My colt will be changing back to the windshield snorkle scoop real soon.

-
Back