Strange brake prob.

-

hypermite

Reaction score
I looked at a fairly nice 73 Duster today (4500 bucks) But there is a strange problem with the brakes. It stops just fine, good pedal feel, but after 10 or so minutes of driving, the front calipers start to grab, it doesn't lock the tires up but if you put it neutral the car will start to slow down & eventually stop by itself. the owner said after the car sits ( overnight presumably) the brakes are fine again. Whats up with this car ? Any ideas?

unbolt the master from the firewall(booster?) if the brakes release the pushrod is too long.if not,open a bleeder on one of the wheels that is locked up.if only that wheel releases,bad hoses. if they both release the relief port in the master is blocked.
hope this helps,
Chuck

Someone explain to me how brake hoses collapse internally. I have seen this posted elsewhere and have never heard of it.

The Brake Fluid Swells The Rubber Over Time.
Like A Clogged Artery.

Make sure the brake pedal assy under the dash pivots freely and returns to the top easily.............I chased your same issue and that was my problem. The shaft had enough corrosion to keep the pedal from returning easily.
good luck

Overfilled master cylinder is a real possiblity. As the fluid expands it needs to be able to get back to the resevoir (thats why there is a port timing hole). If there is to much fluid in the resevoir (front circuit side if partitioned) the expansion will actually start creating pressure in the system and apply your brakes.
Hope this helps.

Also check for stuck or hanging pistons in the calibers. When they get a little heat in them, the piston expands in the bore just enuff so they will not fully retract.

I looked at a fairly nice 73 Duster today (4500 bucks) But there is a strange problem with the brakes. It stops just fine, good pedal feel, but after 10 or so minutes of driving, the front calipers start to grab, it doesn't lock the tires up but if you put it neutral the car will start to slow down & eventually stop by itself. the owner said after the car sits ( overnight presumably) the brakes are fine again. Whats up with this car ? Any ideas?

With the look of your Scamp,you know your way around A-body's. Going through the brakes is no problem,plus the 73-on brake parts are cheap.

Use this as a bargening chip to knock $500 off this deal.

"You know I will have to go all through the brake system with all new parts,could easily cost me 5 bills"
"I could go $4000 cash today"

Something along those lines......

Yeah, I did, More accurately, i swapped him for my Ram 50, It's got a lot of little issues that I'm in the process of diagnosing/fixing, thanks everyone for your input!

-
Back