Street strip 4spd

-

Riff Raff

Reaction score
Toying with the idea of putting a stick back in my duster. All I have are the pedals and a blow shield. Going to see some track time. I have a mild bb stroker but am looking to get into the mid 10's. Can an 18 spline handle the abuse? What mods to the trans would you guys recommend for dual duty? Thanks

I have a mild bb stroker but am looking to get into the mid 10's. Can an 18 spline handle the abuse? What mods to the trans would you guys recommend for dual duty? Thanks

Answered in the order asked;

1; Yes
2; Face plating
2b; Dual duty can be a PIA at a high power level. Highly adjustable shocks on a 4 corners would be my start. Disconnecting and reconnecting front and rear sway bars is a PIA after a while but good for the dual duty car. Sway bars in the street are a really great addition IMO. Maybe not so much for the drag strip.....
I myself would avoid the old “Hot Rod/Racer June bug stance” in the street unless you like it. Street driven cars react and feel so much nicer when there closer to a stock or level stance. A few friends of mine also have two sets of tires for the track and street. IDK if that is OK with your wallet. Purchasing 8 wheels and tires for one car is a lot of money.

But that is what I would do going this route.

Not sure I consider face plating a "street" transmission. Maybe the OP should consider TWO transmissions

Rear sway bars should actually help traction is what I have read. I know my Barracuda with skinny Michelins hooks up decently and goes straight even while boiling the tires.

I spoke with face plated transmission owners driving the street with them and they state it is a little bit of a trick to run them on the street. 2 transmissions? IDK about that. I’d rather get a Tremac that’s up to the task.

As to face-plating;
I did the street-slick-shift thing to mine and the brass are still in there for street duty. But with every second spline and tooth cut off, I can easily overpower the brass at any speed or rpm.
I only modded second and third. With 3.55s I don't get into fourth until after 114 mph so not worth it, I thought. And I could think of no good reason to do first.
As to will the 18 spline take it? with a mild BB-stroker; IDK

Toying with the idea of putting a stick back in my duster. All I have are the pedals and a blow shield. Going to see some track time. I have a mild bb stroker but am looking to get into the mid 10's. Can an 18 spline handle the abuse? What mods to the trans would you guys recommend for dual duty? Thanks

A junk clutch will break ANY input.

Consistent race cars rarely have manual transmissions. Just sayin'

I appreciate all the replies guys. I'd be doing this strictly for the sake of period correctness I'm all about the late 70's early 80's. Street/strip stuff. The t/f I run now works perfectly and there's no reason to drop it out other than a having a Hurst Ram Rod poking out of the floor pan.

I appreciate all the replies guys. I'd be doing this strictly for the sake of period correctness I'm all about the late 70's early 80's. Street/strip stuff. The t/f I run now works perfectly and there's no reason to drop it out other than a having a Hurst Ram Rod poking out of the floor pan.

If you have an actual Ram Rod you’re pretty lucky. Those things are getting hard to find and most cost an arm and leg.

I found mine here on FABO and got a good deal on it. Forget who I got it from.

-
Back