Stroker cam suggestion

-
Yes I've got to unsubscribe to this thread I don't even see the purpose of putting a big block in an a body unless it's an all-out effort.
Just because we can !! No replacement for "wild , unadulterated horse power !" Come on now, u like h.p. and torque too !

A big block with some lightweight parts on it weighs less than a small block and even in stock trim its a couple hundred pounds. Think of it this way, you ever drive your car with a 1/4 tank of gas? A quarter tank in an abody reduces the rear weight by approx. 90 lbs. You're half way to having a big block car weight bias.
Just because we can !! No replacement for "wild , unadulterated horse power !" Come on now, u like h.p. and torque too !
Well of course I do! I have a big block inside my small block for crying out loud! I just jumped in here without realizing I was on the big block Forum and do not have one and know nothing about them so I really just wanted to back out. :(

For a street car with 3.23 rear gears I'd probably use a Mopar .528 solid or something close to it. The cam that Dwayne picked would work also but might be a bit big for you. I have a drawer full of small flat tappet cams and I've found over time that for a real street car smaller is better. I use a 246 hyd roller in the 512 low deck in my '65 Coronet and I wouldn't mind going one size smaller next time.

I love that MPP .528 solid. I'm run 2 of them. Mild mannered and great tq and power. Runs mid to high 11's in a 440 Abody. HIs would obviously be faster.

Yeah the MP .528 is a great street cam for a stroker big block. I ran one in my low deck 470 for a few years on the street. Idles with just a little bit of a rumble at 800 rpm and will boil the tires at will. Pulls hard to about 6000 rpm which is plenty for a street car. That setup would run mid 11's in a heavy B body, might dip into the high 10's in an A body if a person could get it to hook up.

This is what's sitting in my 512. It won't get alot of attention at your local cruise in or get people running to the fence when you make a pass but it's easy on parts and more than capable of taking a fully loaded A Body and sending it home from the track for the lack of a Bar.

This cam should be extremely user friendly for FI......

JW

Image219784450.jpg

I would run what Porter recommended.
I'm planning on doing a low deck 451 and the cam i am thinking about is right around the 242-246@.050, ~.550 lift and having it ground on 111 or 112 lsa to keep the idle a little cleaner...

Well of course not! Just for me personally if you don't mind? I would not put a big block in an abody with all the potential of a small block that's easier to work on easier to find parts for to fit in an a body unless all the effort. I'm putting stuffing that in there and trying to work on it all stuffed in there for a bigger purpose then daily driving.
This is why I was opting out it because it becomes a small block vs Big Block argument when the original poster has a big block already in there and just wants some second opinions on a cam. That's why I opted out of the conversation instead of getting in arguments.
Here is a 588 cubic inch RB motor in my 68 Cuda street car. This this would be just as easy to work on as a small block. It all depends on how you do it.....

KIMG0619.jpg

KIMG0620.jpg

IMG_2532_resize_2.jpg

You are not that far from me..... Who did the headers/exhaust on your car? And yes, for those that think dealing with a BB in an A Body is not an easy task they should replace parts on some the of the equipment I repair at work.....

JW

You are not that far from me..... Who did the headers/exhaust on your car? And yes, for those that think dealing with a BB in an A Body is not an easy task they should replace parts on some the of the equipment I repair at work.....

JW
Mike Balf at Balf race cars, over here in Virginia Beach.

It makes me wonder if he moved something.

Cam.png

This is the solid roller I had spec'd out for my 496. Ported RPM's, 9:1 compression, ported M1 intake and 6lbs of boost on pump. It's obviously fairly wide ground on 114, but we put it in at about 110... It runs pretty good.

-
Back