stupid me, can't change a battery?

-

woodchip

Reaction score
Today, on my '01 ram I put the battery terminals on the wrong posts. :banghead:..It's okay if the site moderator feels I should be shunned and kicked out of FABO. :violent1: I put the battery in the tray...it was identical to the one I just removed....except the terminals were on oposite sides ( red top OPTIMA) :fucyc:. First clue shouldve been the cable ends are different sizes. Probably to keep smart people from switching them, but I'm an idiot so it didnt stop me from forcing it on. :bootysha: I had to replace multiple fuses, but the radio is cooked and the air compressor won't kick on. I even swapped around relays with known working ones but to no avail. Any ideas on what I ruined on the compressor area? Hey, I'm in Phoenix and this heat sucks What can an idiot like myself look for to fix this? I promise to stop and think before touching any of my other Mopars. :prayer:

Today, on my '01 ram I put the battery terminals on the wrong posts. :banghead:..It's okay if the site moderator feels I should be shunned and kicked out of FABO. :violent1: I put the battery in the tray...it was identical to the one I just removed....except the terminals were on oposite sides ( red top OPTIMA) :fucyc:. First clue shouldve been the cable ends are different sizes. Probably to keep smart people from switching them, but I'm an idiot so it didnt stop me from forcing it on. :bootysha: I had to replace multiple fuses, but the radio is cooked and the air compressor won't kick on. I even swapped around relays with known working ones but to no avail. Any ideas on what I ruined on the compressor area? Hey, I'm in Phoenix and this heat sucks What can an idiot like myself look for to fix this? I promise to stop and think before touching any of my other Mopars. :prayer:

Ouch Chip! Just remember, If people didn't make mistakes they wouldn't put erasers on the end of pencils. tmm

Without a complete factory shop manual I would not touch this with a 10 ft pole. There is FAR too much solid state crap in these modern cars to predict what fail, and what may have been protected. See if you have power at the alternator stud. If not there is probably a fuse/ breaker, fuse link you fried. You probably blew up some diodes in the alternator.

For all I know you may have fried the engine computer.

Frankly, I'd find the best electrical shop you can find, not necessarily a dealer, but get the guy down on the floor and make him GUARANTEE you that he knows late Dodges, and turn him loose. Make him SAVE all bad components NO EXCEPTIONS, and document what he finds NO EXCEPTIONS

yes, it sounds ugly and expensive.
i ONCE did that to a road runner, replaced the fusible link, went on my way

Does any of the A/C System work? Like the Electric Rad Fan if equipped? A/C indicator light on dash? Blower motor? Just treat it like any other A/C diagnosis.

Not sure but there may be another set of Fuses/Relays.

I know there is an A/C Clutch Relay under the hood somewhere. Sometimes just snooping around for a few minutes can reveal the problem. Good luck and post up any new info as it comes up. Maybe a light bulb will go on for one of us.

On monday, drive it over to:

AMA
3601 West Clarendon
Phoenix AZ
(602) 233-0090

Ask for Tim or Jack, and tell them what happened. You can't be the first guy to do this, and I know they are straight shooters in the A/C business.

I know there are diodes in some A/C clutch circuits, may have killed that little bugger.

B.

Don't feel bad I had a car one time I could not find where the battery was on the car.

On monday, drive it over to:

AMA
3601 West Clarendon
Phoenix AZ
(602) 233-0090

Ask for Tim or Jack, and tell them what happened. You can't be the first guy to do this, and I know they are straight shooters in the A/C business.

I know there are diodes in some A/C clutch circuits, may have killed that little bugger.

B.
I didn't see your post in time....Just came home from dropping it off @ Bill Luke. The battery gauge just nose dived and he "check guages" light came on. I feel I'm in for a big lesson in paying better attention while working on my vehicles. I'll keep you up to date on the damage (unless I'm too embarased).

Okay, back from the dealer. All I can say is that God loves me :) 4 more fuses that I have no idea where they are.....were blown. That fixed all my electrical issues. tested the alternator and it is working, but just passed a field spike test. The air compressor has a bad clutch and is causing it's own issues. needs replaced...but not my fault. So the near future has me installing a alternator and a compressor. Not too proud to say, It cost me $292.00. From what I hear...it couldve been a LOT worse. Thanks to everyone for all the quick advice and responses...if you-all have any carpentry questions, ask me....I don't screw that up :)

Don't feel too bad. Yesterday I went to my local Lowes hardware to get a new staple gun that also takes brad nails. I laughed when I saw the arrow on top of the gun that said exit here:) Of course the first 9/16 brad that came out went in just under my pointing finger:) I was holding it backwards when I (pulled the trigger). It took me about 5 seconds to figure out why no nail came out and where it went:) I looked at the arrow and it pointed to my hand:) Learn from your mistakes and continue on!

Attachments

• 2012-10-01_17-40-49_418 (Small).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 162
Okay, back from the dealer. All I can say is that God loves me :) 4 more fuses that I have no idea where they are.....were blown. That fixed all my electrical issues. tested the alternator and it is working, but just passed a field spike test. The air compressor has a bad clutch and is causing it's own issues. needs replaced...but not my fault. So the near future has me installing a alternator and a compressor. Not too proud to say, It cost me $292.00. From what I hear...it couldve been a LOT worse. Thanks to everyone for all the quick advice and responses...if you-all have any carpentry questions, ask me....I don't screw that up :)

well overall , i would say you DODGED a bullet , i bet we dont do that again LOL
good news

I'm REALLY surprised, with all the electronics in modern rigs, that you got off this cheap.

One thing is for sure -- you will NEVER do this again!! LOL

i knew a guy he told me he did this to a 64 comet and fried the wiring and cought fire he had to rewire the whole car even tho he said he paid a shop 500 to rewire it all i thought that was too cheap even tho it was in minasota

We all have our moments. I put a motor together and left out a bottom main bearing half. Talk about low oil pressure! Thing ran fine, just low oil pressure...took about 2 minutes and then I saw the bearing shell on the bench....doooh!

Okay, thanks guys...I'm feeling more human. Hearing that My bone-head moment is not uncommon. I tell my apprentices that the only person who never makes a mistake is one who's doing nothing. Boy, I wish that last Sunday....I would have stayed in front of the football games..AND DONE NOTHING!!

Don't be to hard on yourself. I did the same (dumb) thing on a Celica once. I got in a hurry and jumped it with the wrong polarity which blew the fusable link. I learned from it though, never did it again.

-
Back