Stupid newbie question

-

sphipps

Reaction score
Went out today to look at a 1968 Plymouth Valiant...over all it's in decent shape...but it will need new fenders and quarter panels. Floor is solid as is the trunk.

Question I have is...what is the piece/part called that the fender bolts up to in the engine bay? I noticed that both of those parts were pretty rusted and will need replacment/repair. Can I purchase them or will I need to fabricate a new part?

Thanks.

Steve

Those are inner fenders and they are available from AMD. Look closly at the cowl areas and in the door hinge area too.

T2R9...thanks for the reply and the advice..I'll check those out too.

Thanks again.

Inner fender rust is common. If its not to bad you can patch them, Other wise start drilling spot weld. Also check the frame rails, spare tire well, Leaf spring mounts, Torsion bar cross member good.

You did not mention where the car is region wise. If its got front fender, rear fender, inner fender rust there is going to be LOTS more in places you might not think. Adam noted the cowl area. This is a biggie. If its rusted it can be fixed but its alot of work. Check the frames real good. Extra close inspection should be given to the area on the front frames by the k frame bolts, the torsion bar mount area, the fronts of the rear frame and at the back by the rear spring perches. Also take another look at the floor and trunk pans. You may have missed something. Anything can be repaired but its a question of what you want to do and what you can do in regards to this. Just how much is this car selling for? Signet or 100? Six or eight? Two or four door? I am asking because there are lots of a bodies out there to buy if you have the time to search. Dont get in over your head if it needs lots of work. Spend a little extra and buy a car in better shape if this one is bad.

I'd definitely agree with chazram! I did exactly what he is warming you about doing. I bought my '67 dart and am now realizing that If I would have been more patient, I could have gotten alot more for my money waiting for the right deal..

Long story about my car, but pretty much, I spent $1500 on a car that needed a front end rebuild, new tranny, new rear end, had lots of rust, needed bodywork and needed pain..

good luck on finding your A-body though sphipps!

-
Back