Stupid question

-

Reaction score
Florida heat isnt getting any better or I am getting older.

I have a small air conditioned workshop, I was thinking I may want to yank the engine from my parts truck this weekend and work indoors.

Is it possible to run a slant on a standard engine stand?

Better yet Id like to build a wooden cradle for it to sit on, nothing fancy but I would like it to roll around on heavy casters.

Never attempted anything like this and am wondering if this can be done, dont know how much vibrating there is on an engine like this.

Come to think of it dosent the starter mount to trans?

Not home right now so cant just look.

I expect this project to take a few months so trying to get comftorable.

I would never try and run an engine on a conventional engine stand. It doesnt take much---whether steel or wood---to thrash up a simple mount/ cradle/ platform

Looks like I would need a bellhousing to mount the starter too which I do not have so it might turn into a bigger hassle than its worth

I have seen an engine started sitting on just the oil pan, so I guess anything is possible.

I have more than one slant bellhousing if you are interested, but then you need a flywheel....

I have more than one slant bellhousing if you are interested, but then you need a flywheel....
I would like a bell housing that is set up for an N.P 435 trans, I would like to then run the slant stock 11 inch clutch, if you can help let me know.

I would probably not ever try this but if you do, I would just jank the enigne an trannie together and make a heavy framework bolted to the floor and that bolts to the motor and trannie mounts. Just keep in mind that there is a lot of rotating mass, and any hiccup in the engine puts lot of torque into wherever it is mounted and if the frame/mount lets got, you may have many hundreds of pounds flopping around; could be interesting, or could be a disaster. Besides, you gotta hook up some sort of cooling system too.

It used to be standard at auto recyclers to run a used engine on the ground to prove it before selling it. You must have a tranny connected for our engines (starter boltup & teeth), unless really creative. Just insure the engine is level enough for the oil (harder w/ a slant), put gas in a small can above the fuel pump. Don't run more than 30 sec without coolant. Almost as easy to connect a radiator and that avoids having to bypass auto trans cooler lines. Neighbors would appreciate any kind of muffler. I ran a M-B diesel as above before going to the big effort of installing it. It didn't need the tranny. Proved it was perfect from just running it on the ground. It didn't want to flop around, that is fanciful, just brace it with some 4x4's.

I have seen the engine started with a one inch drive electric impact gun on the harmonic balancer bolt , its no different then indy cars do

If you can rev a built 426 Hemi on a stand, then I would think a slant 6 wouldn't be a problem with a little common sense installed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=229_Oko1woQ"]Original Factory 1965 426 Hemi running on a stand - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5JPdO-unQ8"]Home made engine stand or trolley with holden 202 six running - YouTube[/ame]

And here's a 454 running on the ground
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpbKa3ipCcY"]CHEVY 454 ENGINE START UP ON GROUND * HOT RATROD ENGINE * TEST RUN * REDNECK ENGINEERING - YouTube[/ame]

People do it all the time in just about every way one could imagine.

I would probably not ever try this but if you do, I would just jank the enigne an trannie together and make a heavy framework bolted to the floor and that bolts to the motor and trannie mounts. Just keep in mind that there is a lot of rotating mass, and any hiccup in the engine puts lot of torque into wherever it is mounted and if the frame/mount lets got, you may have many hundreds of pounds flopping around; could be interesting, or could be a disaster. Besides, you gotta hook up some sort of cooling system too.
Seems like it might be too much work but still thinking about how it could be done

It used to be standard at auto recyclers to run a used engine on the ground to prove it before selling it. You must have a tranny connected for our engines (starter boltup & teeth), unless really creative. Just insure the engine is level enough for the oil (harder w/ a slant), put gas in a small can above the fuel pump. Don't run more than 30 sec without coolant. Almost as easy to connect a radiator and that avoids having to bypass auto trans cooler lines. Neighbors would appreciate any kind of muffler. I ran a M-B diesel as above before going to the big effort of installing it. It didn't need the tranny. Proved it was perfect from just running it on the ground. It didn't want to flop around, that is fanciful, just brace it with some 4x4's.
quote: It used to be standard at auto recyclers to run a used engine on the ground to prove it before selling it...........

I remember when they did this, thanks for reminding me. I dont think anyone will do this any longer.

I have seen the engine started with a one inch drive electric impact gun on the harmonic balancer bolt , its no different then indy cars do
This is a great idea, had not thought of this. My air is not an issue but biggest gun I have is the 1/2 inch. It will not spin the engine fast enough.

It didn't want to flop around, that is fanciful, just brace it with some 4x4's.
It won't if everything is good, Bill; if something breaks/siezes/jams, then that moving/rotational mass's energy is going somewhere. My bro-in-law years ago saw an engine sieze 'run on the ground' and it did a 3/4 roll......YMMV. Watch this engine 'not flop around'.....[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq5cjNhN_po"]Boss 429 dyno blow up! - YouTube[/ame]

Running an engine in an old yard with the ground soaked with fluids (like they used to be) is one thing; if anything goes wrong, there is not much to hurt. In an enclosed space, in a person's shop (attached to the house, yes...no?), in that unlikely case that something goes wrong, always ask yourself if can you afford the unlikely but possible worst case results?

It won't if everything is good, Bill; if something breaks/siezes/jams, then that moving/rotational mass's energy is going somewhere. My bro-in-law years ago saw an engine sieze 'run on the ground' and it did a 3/4 roll......YMMV. Watch this engine 'not flop around'.....Boss 429 dyno blow up! - YouTube

Running an engine in an old yard with the ground soaked with fluids (like they used to be) is one thing; if anything goes wrong, there is not much to hurt. In an enclosed space, in a person's shop (attached to the house, yes...no?), in that unlikely case that something goes wrong, always ask yourself if can you afford the unlikely but possible worst case results?
At the risk of sounding like a dick....thats too funny and had too hurt :)

I have run donated used slant six engines for a short time, with the pan touching the ground/trailer and supported by an engine hoist, attached to the bolt holes in the head, to keep it from flopping. Trans connected of course, and cooler lines connected together.

-
Back