Success ! !

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I've broken in the 410 stroker and it was a success! that thing is a total beast! thank you for everyones help and suggestions! And flyfish I guess you can take your big old bag of I told you so and put it where the Sun don't shine! and oldmanrick your reputation is still intact.

Congrats on your build being a success, I'm sure it's a handful! My 408 will be going on the dyno in the next few weeks. Can't wait to get it into the Dart.

I think I may have slept two and a half hours last night! I seriously had nightmares! I was finding old squirrel nuts and dirty grass in my valve covers and yelling at my builder what was there, lol. my nerves were so bad I thought I was sick. but all is well now. I doubt if I'll ever have the money to Dyno the motor, but from the seat of the pants HOLY COW ! !!!

Awesome. Done the nightmare jitters, a few times myself.

Congratulations! Great job on the break-in. I'll bet she's a beast...

Now, just don't hurt yourself with it. Remember my "Be Safe, Have Fun" signature. But, i don't think fun will be a issue. :D

Cool glad you got it goin. Hope it stays that way.

I'm going to continue to use penn grade oil with zinc. I put a few miles on after the break in, and tomorrow I'll put on 10-15 more and change the oil (15/40 penn grade) and filter-check/adjust valve lash.

Great! Any chance you can post a video w/audio?

I was gonna say the same thing! I've been watching every "408 Mopar" video on YouTube that I can find.

I'm gonna have a few of those dreams where the dyno room is featured predominately in the next few weeks. Mine will probably center around my inability to make it to the machine shop until they are unbolting my engine from the dyno. Or they won't tell me the numbers or something?!? Dreams are weird like that.

I'm going to continue to use penn grade oil with zinc. I put a few miles on after the break in, and tomorrow I'll put on 10-15 more and change the oil (15/40 penn grade) and filter-check/adjust valve lash.

Cut the filter open and have a looksee.

Great to hear. The 4" stroke A body is one of the best, if not the best street brawler I've rub accross. Even the mild ones are a blast.

I can definitely get a short video today, but posting it may be another story but of course I'll try. And giving out the specs there's no problem. so stay tuned this evening when the day is over and I'm on the couch with my feet in the air. I'll do what I can to post up a vid. I can assure you the sound quality will do the car absolutely no justice as there's no way your computer will make your heart pound like being there in person.:D

I can definitely get a short video today, but posting it may be another story but of course I'll try. And giving out the specs there's no problem. so stay tuned this evening when the day is over and I'm on the couch with my feet in the air. I'll do what I can to post up a vid. I can assure you the sound quality will do the car absolutely no justice as there's no way your computer will make your heart pound like being there in person.:D

Upload it to YouTube, and copy/paste the link into a post, pretty simple really.

Cut the filter open and have a looksee.

I can't imagine the filter being completely clean with a brand new break in but with that said I've also never cut one open. In my mind I think (when I cut it open I picture myself with a sawzall of course how will I know the difference between the shavings of the filter itself and anything that was actually inside it before I start butchering it?)

You should be able to score it around the circumference with a utility knife.

Of course it won't be clean, but it can tell you stories, if you have an issue.

You can cut the bottom off the can with a hacksaw, in a sorta vertically clamped in the vise way.The filings wash out as the oil leaves the house.Then you can cut the can off with a tin-snips. Or you can clamp the screw-on side in the vice, can up, and horizontally hack that flange off. The filings you are concerned about will be stuck inside the paper pleats, and they look completely different than hacksaw fillings.
They do make a special tool for cutting those open,FWIW.
All the best 2U

I use a big old bread knife , it isn't serated so it doesn't make any filings , the old "Rambo" style knives work as well .Congrats on the build , I can't imagine driving my car without my 410 in it which is why the numbers 318 is still sitting in the corner after getting new rings and bearings last year eh LOL !

Oh we can imagine what it sounds and feels like, if we have a stroker motor too. Definitely post the video to youtube. I put a few of mine out there, and when you crank the volume up with good headphones, it sounds so sweet. Do a search on 1971 Dart 408 W2 or W2-408, I just uploaded a few today.

well I'm going to have to hold off on video for a week or so. my neighbors are tolerant, but not over enthusiastic. I'll take it to the track next week and make a video or two their. I took some tin snips and opened up the oil filter. I did my first oil change today and nothing scary or anything. I had seen a few particles in the oil filter, but nothing larger or anything in the filter. Absolutely no oil leaks !:cheers: i was very skeptical about the mr gasket remote oil filter leaking, but turned out to be a good buy as the filter change was a breeze instead of a pain. Also i pulled a few plugs and they looked good (the 318 plugs were always very black-same carb setup) the much bigger cubes probably help along with the 100LL av-gas. I ran a feeler gage through several of the rockers a couple a hair tight-couple hair loose-couple perfect, but again nothing scary. I will re-ajust sooner than later. I will have to find some spacers for some of the side to side play in the 273 rockers. #6 intake can get farther off than I'm comfortable with. Nothing binding - mind you, just a little something to take up some of the gap and keep the rocker over the valve stem.

j par - Congrats on your build!!!!!!!!!

FredS - Damn, your car sounds great in the videos...now I want a Stroker!!!!:burnout:

you can get shaft spacers from the performance catalog through your local dealer , they aren't insanely expensive and buying this way saves you the shipping , they have 2 different kits if I remember correctly it's been a while since I bought mine so I don't remember how much or the part number .

I will have to find some spacers for some of the side to side play in the 273 rockers. #6 intake can get farther off than I'm comfortable with. Nothing binding - mind you, just a little something to take up some of the gap and keep the rocker over the valve stem.

I bought this spacer kit when I was setting up my Edelbrock heads. $8.50 plus shipping

I've broken in the 410 stroker and it was a success! that thing is a total beast! thank you for everyones help and suggestions! And flyfish I guess you can take your big old bag of I told you so and put it where the Sun don't shine! and oldmanrick your reputation is still intact.

Congratulations, I'm glad everything worked out for ya. I hope your 410 stays together and gives your many years of fun at the track.

PS....I guess I'll dispose of "the bag", lol. Seriously though, usually if something is going to go wrong, it will in the first few weeks of run time, so keep an ear out for weird sounds. If you make it past that you should be good to go.

-
Back